Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 11:31 AM   #29
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
I have been looking forward to this day for a long time- The first real, full tests of the V6 and SS Camaros. I sat at my computer at 2:59, refreshing web pages until the Camaro reviews were finally posted. And for my efforts I was rewarded by having my dreams of a high-quality, nimble, sporty car to take up Glendora Mountain Road crushed. It seems unanimous: awful views out, unable to see apexes to hit them right, claustrophobic feeling, bad steering wheel, awful interior materials, wide, un-supportive seats, feelings of bulkiness and heaviness. I keep saying I'll reserve final judgment until I can see for myself, but when all the reviews are saying the exact same thing, it just doesn't give me much hope. I absolutely love the looks of this car. I love the engines. I love the heritage. But it just doesn't work for me. My fun drives are entirely on twisty, narrow, two lane mountain roads where any lack of visibility could kill you. I need something that is not only small and nimble, but feels that way too. And my wife will not go for something that feels claustrophobic. She NEEDS that feeling of openness. Honestly, my budget for my next car should be the low-$20K, but I was willing to really stretch that to $30K for what I thought was my dream car, but I just can't justify that now, especially if my wife is gonna hate it. Man I'm pissed.
Run to your dealer when they get their car in. Drive it. Then tell us what you think. NEVER base your opinion off what the magazines say.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:32 AM   #30
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
I have been looking forward to this day for a long time- The first real, full tests of the V6 and SS Camaros. I sat at my computer at 2:59, refreshing web pages until the Camaro reviews were finally posted. And for my efforts I was rewarded by having my dreams of a high-quality, nimble, sporty car to take up Glendora Mountain Road crushed. It seems unanimous: awful views out, unable to see apexes to hit them right, claustrophobic feeling, bad steering wheel, awful interior materials, wide, un-supportive seats, feelings of bulkiness and heaviness. I keep saying I'll reserve final judgment until I can see for myself, but when all the reviews are saying the exact same thing, it just doesn't give me much hope. I absolutely love the looks of this car. I love the engines. I love the heritage. But it just doesn't work for me. My fun drives are entirely on twisty, narrow, two lane mountain roads where any lack of visibility could kill you. I need something that is not only small and nimble, but feels that way too. And my wife will not go for something that feels claustrophobic. She NEEDS that feeling of openness. Honestly, my budget for my next car should be the low-$20K, but I was willing to really stretch that to $30K for what I thought was my dream car, but I just can't justify that now, especially if my wife is gonna hate it. Man I'm pissed.
You cannot rely on just the input and judgements of reviewers, they can be wrong just as easily as anyone else. I tend to rely more on actual user input from people that own the product, if I had listened to only the "professional" reviewers I would never have bought the wonderful digital camera I have owned for the last five years. I was looking at three different models from three different manufacturers, one stood out as being more what I wanted, unfortunately EVERY reviewer found almost the same faults with it and I was thinking of going in another direction. Going to a camera forum that had many users of that model produced a totally different outlook of this camera, they were far more satisfied with the camera and found the supposed faults to not be an issue, almost the complete opposite of the reviewers. I have had the same type of experience in many different product categories over the years, so now I do not take reviewers words as the "one truth".
Clyde
Old 03-21-2009, 11:35 AM   #31
wjones14

Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoleCat2SSRS2010 View Post
I am just saying that I don't allow my self to be that easily influenced. If there are actual fact based data then that can't be disputed. Just like in the hospital everyone has a different level of how they rate pain. Pain is subjectively rated but is treated as real.
People shouldn't let themselves be that easily manipulated. They should only consider the facts and make their own decisions.
How do you know that all of the reviewers are unbiased? There is no 100% proof that they go in being absolutely objective.
I personally love the design of the 2010 Camaro. I might a make a few mods but that is my perspective and my choice not the public or someone else's.
For me, these forums are a place to read the opinions of others and to gain insight that maybe I wouldn't have thought of on my own.

Again, I'll ask why YOU bother reading these forums if not for the opinions of others?
Previous: 2018 Summit White 2SS 1LE; 2015 MINI Cooper F56 6MT; 2015 BMW M235i 6MT; 2003 MINI 5MT; 2005 Mustang GT 5MT
Old 03-21-2009, 11:36 AM   #32
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjones14 View Post
As far as the steering wheel, the complaint is that it's too big. I think the same thing about the wheel in my Mustang -- too big. I drove a friend's BMW M S54 roadster, and now I know what a proper sports car steering wheel should be like. It may seem like a minor nitpick unless you've experienced a good one, but OTOH, what part of the car are you more in contact with every time you drive it?

I'll just say that the 2010 Camaro SS has been dominating my thoughts for the past several months, and I am really, really anticipating seeing one and driving one. I was fairly certain that I was going to say goodbye to the Mustang and get a new Camaro. It was like a 90% chance. Now, the reviews have really dimmed my enthusiasm. Here's why:

For me, just like my Mustang and every other car I've owned, the car will be first and foremost a daily driver. Therefore it must be reliable, fun to drive, easy to drive, and easy to live with on a daily basis. If the visibility is poor, that's going to make it harder to drive. If, as one reviewer commented, the grip is great but the handling is non-communicative, that's going to take some of the fun away. If the trunk opening is ridiculously small, that might mean it's going to be a hassle getting two sets of golf clubs and carts in there. It's a given that I want a car with tremendous performance. I take the Mustang to HPDE road course events each year, and I'm power-sliding out of each turn, knocking chunks out of the tires, and generally running the car at its limits on a closed race track. So the car has to perform here too, and I have no doubts that the Camaro would whip my Mustang in lap times. But the other 99% of the year is back to the mundane commute to work, where I am not anywhere near the limits of the car...

I don't know, I'm just a bit disappointed and feel like this is a setback. Maybe when I see the car and drive it, I will love it. But back in the mid '90s, I test drove a 6-speed Formula Firebird at a dealership and I did not like the feeling of the high cowl and limited visibility, despite the exhilarating acceleration, and I ended up getting a '95 Mustang GT instead because I thought it had superior everyday ergonomics. Bummed... :(
Have you read ALL the reviews? Each one is different. Many said that the steering feedback was outstanding and that it was very easy to drive. One noted that the steering wasn't as firm as they had hoped from a performance standpoint but that this made it a better daily driver. The perception I've come away with that the wheel is a bit too easy to turn so that it may take a little getting used to but it provides good feedback without jerking you around.

Pretty much all of them said that the ride was comfortable. One noted that this car would be just fine for long road trips whereas cars like the 370z are not very comfortable in this situation, ride wise. While one mentioned that they didn't like the steering wheel, another pointed out that the steering wheel was good. After having sat in the car, I can say that the steering wheel is on the large side. I was a bit surprised at how large it is actually. But it wasn't anywhere near a level that I thought it would annoy me or anything. It felt fine so I disagree with the one reviewer that thought it was awkward fealing.

Number 3 put 2 sets of golf clubs as well as suitcases in his trunk without any issues.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:43 AM   #33
PoleCat2SSRS2010
R6P Marketing Lab Rat

Drives: sometimes
Quote:
For me, these forums are a place to read the opinions of others and to gain insight that maybe I wouldn't have thought of on my own.

Again, I'll ask why YOU bother reading these forums if not for the opinions of others?
OK I'll bite but you might not like the answer. It is b/c there are those here and elsewhere that do provide true unbiased information as well as facts.

Take it for what its worth.

Last edited by PoleCat2SSRS2010; 03-21-2009 at 12:44 PM.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:53 AM   #34
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
Ever been to a movie you loved and the reviews stunk. Then it won an Academy award?

At the end of the day every one's taste is in their OWN mouth.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:03 PM   #35
PoleCat2SSRS2010
R6P Marketing Lab Rat

Drives: sometimes
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUR72GTO View Post
Ever been to a movie you loved and the reviews stunk. Then it won an Academy award?

X2
Thanks. And there is data to back it up!
Old 03-21-2009, 12:10 PM   #36
leatherneck

Drives: yellow/bl. hood stripes-ss/rs
Quote:

Man who crapped in your cornflakes did you even read the reviews????
IT seems unanamous-???-give me a break. If you had taken the time-to closely read the
reviews
1. everyone and their mother knew reviews would start at 6 pm---if you refreshed over and again since 2pm --well then i dont know what to tell you.
2.if you really read the reviews heres what that said
A. exterior---by far an away the most exciting in design of any car it its class--a great combination of heritage and future.
B. 9 out of 10 in every catagory put the camaro ahead of challenger and mustang an mustang gt--better handling --better suspension --quieter ride---better speeds in both 0-60 ann quarter mile--better stopping ---better road and treck stabilty --fat better tranction---some reviews put camaros interior still at best a tie with mustang or better--better gas mileage-- best price ----more horsepower--wayyyyyyyy better v-6s---no body roll
c. you talked about the reviews being claustraphobic--again if you really read the reviews you would see that the reviewers had a preconcieved notion of this. but once in the car they were extremely surprised and the room in side.

If you wanted a car to run up and down mountain roads and lots of twists and turns --then you should buy a jeep.
THis car is about superior design --exterior --interior --engine--suspension
performance--handling--and digital tech. i dont want to play with my camaro( well ok a few drags and burnouts)lol-i want it to look great a babe magnet--i have the power an hp to show off against any car in its class if i need it-
IM not paying 40,000 for a car to rough house it --not this car!!!!!!

Then you bring up blindspots and killing yourself --you gotta be kidding---all camaros are like this--you definately arent an enthusiest--- good drivers over the years learn to drive with blindsposts they are concienous enough to look when backing or changing lanes-buy using what they have side mirrors--rearview mirrors --looking over your shoulders etc--an if you still arent sure do it slowly til you know you are in the clear--im now driving a 1994 camaro convertable --with the top up there are huge blind spots---i havent had one accident not ever a fender bender
allin all there were some things the reviewers didnt like

1. trunk opening to small i agree. but if you read it clearly camaro provides a folding back seat which goes thru the trunk
2. to much plastic on the interior again I agree--this could have been better---but this is a muscle car not a lexus.
3. of course the blind spots --which any good driver can adopt to
4the only bad performance --was the skid pad could of be slightly lower--since im not racing my car which i believe most arent taking it to a track i say big dealll!!!!
5. the front seats dont automacticaly go forward to make it easier to access the back seat
6. the steering wheel being a little large

These are nit picking---i gaurantee you if a person paid 300,000 for a car hed find something wrong with it
Old 03-21-2009, 12:18 PM   #37
Douge
Eurotrash Connossieur

Drives: 1985 Mercedes 500SEL
Quote:
Originally Posted by our70gto
ver been to a movie you loved and the reviews stunk. Then it won an Academy award?

I read reviews on the Porsche Cayman, saw pics etc.. didn't dig it. The GM at the Porsche store who I have known for many years said "they built this car for guys like you" and I thought he was F'n with me but I still went up and drove it. I went on the test drive with a grumpy old sales guy who chastised me for how missing a shift and wouldn't let me push the car. I walked away thinking it was a waste of my time. A year later I came across one and with a willing salesman had a chance to push the car around, we both grinned ear to ear and I took it home 20 minutes later and now its the coolest funnest car I have owned, which has included a Vette, S2000 (2nd fav), AMG C55, E46 M3 ZCP, and some older junk.

Just goes to show you that what GTO is saying is a great point. You may want to visit the dealer a couple of times regardless of the car to see if it really is the one for you.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:33 PM   #38
Jimmy

Drives: 2010 2SS RS Camaro
2,914 posts on this site and you are going to let a few reviewers personal preferences effect your decision? Wow.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:45 PM   #39
wjones14

Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
2,914 posts on this site and you are going to let a few reviewers personal preferences effect your decision? Wow.
Well there is one BIG difference between the opinions posted in the 2914 posts here, and the reviews -- the reviewers got to drive the car at its limits on skidpads, drag strips, and closed road courses, while many of the posters here have not even seen the car yet! And for the posters here who have driven the car, what percentage of them would say have gotten to drive it like the reviewers did?

So to answer your question, yes I am going to pay attention to the reviewers. I won't solely base my decision on their reviews, but I would read them all, and at least be armed with more information than if I hadn't read them.
Previous: 2018 Summit White 2SS 1LE; 2015 MINI Cooper F56 6MT; 2015 BMW M235i 6MT; 2003 MINI 5MT; 2005 Mustang GT 5MT
Old 03-21-2009, 12:51 PM   #40
Enator

Drives: 2011 SHELBY GT500 & Volvo S80
Quote:
Originally Posted by leatherneck View Post
2. to much plastic on the interior again I agree--this could have been better---but this is a muscle car not a lexus.
This is only reason that maybe maybe I say NO this car when I see it.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:55 PM   #41
Camaroyoung

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS BLk/IOM
After reading the reviews, I want my car more than ever!
Old 03-21-2009, 01:05 PM   #42
Jimmy

Drives: 2010 2SS RS Camaro
Quote:
Well there is one BIG difference between the opinions posted in the 2914 posts here, and the reviews -- the reviewers got to drive the car at its limits on skidpads, drag strips, and closed road courses, while many of the posters here have not even seen the car yet! And for the posters here who have driven the car, what percentage of them would say have gotten to drive it like the reviewers did?

So to answer your question, yes I am going to pay attention to the reviewers. I won't solely base my decision on their reviews, but I would read them all, and at least be armed with more information than if I hadn't read them.
I was refering to person that started this thread... they have had over 2,914 posts on this site. They should already be very familier with the new Camaro and know all the pluses and minuses. I read about the Camaro a couple of months before I ordered. I knew it had a small trunk openning before I ordered it. I knew what the interior looked like. I knew it has big blind spots. I knew the front windshield is small... etc. I was aware of the risks of ordering a car before I actually got to drive in the car. I felt and still feel I made an excellent decision to order.

By all means people should read and consider reviews of the car. Some people should wait until they get to drive the car before they order or decide to buy.

Closed Thread