Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-04-2013, 08:22 AM   #29
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Do you have a limit to how many sensors you can datalog at once? If not, throw it in there I would think you'd need to do at least a 3+ baseline runs and average the readings somehow to get a good idea on if there's any significant difference before and after cleaning. Granted this is a much newer car with the newer diagnostics and what not, but datalogging on OBD1 you can get a good idea of a baseline but each drive could show different average values based on other factors such as ambient outside air temperature, run time, heat soak, etc.

"Gone But Not Forgotten"
2016 Camaro 1LT A8 - "Elmo"
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb"
2012 Camaro 1LS M6 - "Clifford"

Michigan FBody Association
http://www.mifbody.com/
meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:26 AM   #30
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
No limit, but supposedly the more you add, the slower the polling of each one. But I've had a dozen in the there and had no issues getting plenty of readings for each.
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:32 AM   #31
911medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911medic View Post
If you're referring to his comments regarding changes to the injector pulse width readings, then I can add:
  • Air-Fuel Ratio (commanded)
  • AFR (measured)
  • Injector Pulse Width (for each individual cylinder)
  • Mass Air Flow Rate

I can also add:
  • Barometric Pressure
  • Intake Manifold Pressure
  • Vacuum
  • Fuel Flow Rate/Minute
if you guys think they will be of value.

Do you think any of the Fuel Trims/Knock Retard/Timing Advance readings would be of value in this application?
I checked last night, and unfortunately AFR (measured), Injector Pulse Width, and Fuel Flow Rate are not supported. :(
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
Old 04-04-2013, 11:49 AM   #32
911medic

Here are the PIDs I have set to log:
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2013, 12:25 PM   #33
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
I wish I had known about this before I installed the catch can, had the BG liquid and manual upper induction cleaning done.

The car definitely runs better and gets better mileage after the upgrade/cleanings. It would have been nice to measure the difference though.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:42 PM   #34
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
If someone REALLY wants to show the affects of running a DI engine for a long time with no catch can, they should do a dyno run.

26,000 miles may not be enough to a big difference...or maybe it is I don't know. But it would be nice to have someone dyno before doing a cleaning.

Get it cleaned. Drive a week, and then dyno again.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:58 PM   #35
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
I'd add the Fuel Trims - the fuel trims is a measurement of the result of what the PCM is commanding for fuel. But the min/max measurements are perplexing to me... on my OBD1 car, 128 is considered stoich, higher than 128 is rich (the PCM is commanding more fuel to be added to the mixture) and lower than 128 is lean (PCM doesn't need as much fuel in the mixture)

"Gone But Not Forgotten"
2016 Camaro 1LT A8 - "Elmo"
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb"
2012 Camaro 1LS M6 - "Clifford"

Michigan FBody Association
http://www.mifbody.com/
meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:05 PM   #36
911medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by intensifi View Post
I wish I had known about this before I installed the catch can, had the BG liquid and manual upper induction cleaning done.

The car definitely runs better and gets better mileage after the upgrade/cleanings. It would have been nice to measure the difference though.
Yeah, I hope there is some useful, measurable differences that show.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:09 PM   #37
911medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
If someone REALLY wants to show the affects of running a DI engine for a long time with no catch can, they should do a dyno run.

26,000 miles may not be enough to a big difference...or maybe it is I don't know. But it would be nice to have someone dyno before doing a cleaning.

Get it cleaned. Drive a week, and then dyno again.
Yes, I agree that before/after dyno runs would be the "gold standard" of demonstrating the effects of the build up.

Unfortunately, I don't have the time and would rather spend the money on my long wish list of mods.

So, I thought with my $5 app and my $25 OBD scanner that I might be able to document the effects another way.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:15 PM   #38
911medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by meissen View Post
I'd add the Fuel Trims - the fuel trims is a measurement of the result of what the PCM is commanding for fuel. But the min/max measurements are perplexing to me... on my OBD1 car, 128 is considered stoich, higher than 128 is rich (the PCM is commanding more fuel to be added to the mixture) and lower than 128 is lean (PCM doesn't need as much fuel in the mixture)
The long-term trims are already added (all the data points in those screen shots are what I currently have set to log). There are short term trims I could add as well.

I don't know enough about fuel trims to know what the units should be. Torque displays them as a +/- percentage; whether that's percent above/below stoich I don't know.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:24 PM   #39
911medic

Here are the other available fuel trims that can be logged, though I'm not sure the car gives readings on all of them:
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2013, 01:29 PM   #40
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Sensor 2 (either bank) should be after the cats. I would use sensor 1 for both banks.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:40 PM   #41
911medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
Sensor 2 (either bank) should be after the cats. I would use sensor 1 for both banks.
I'll have to check when I'm connected to the car and see which ones are even available. The long-term and short-term trims don't even give a "sensor" option, just bank 1 or 2. Maybe they just average them all?
Old 04-04-2013, 01:53 PM   #42
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911medic View Post
I'll have to check when I'm connected to the car and see which ones are even available. The long-term and short-term trims don't even give a "sensor" option, just bank 1 or 2. Maybe they just average them all?
Try these two when you get a chance.
Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1365099859563.jpg
Views: 693
Size:  99.5 KB