Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-17-2010, 09:10 PM   #1
76z28

Drives: 1976 camaro
Manual vs Auto.

NO this isn't a regret post but...
i was building a camaro on the webstie and it says if i want the auto i have to upgrade/downgrade from a 3.45 to a 3.27 axle ratio? is this the case or is that just the GM site? That might be one reason the auto doesn't seem as fun
76z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:17 PM   #2
kbui

Drives: 85 Vette, 07 Escalade ESV, 03 GMC,
Not really! The transmission's gear ratios are much higher in the auto. Take a look at the A6's first gear.

ADM Performance installed and tuned: Maggie, Stainless Works Power LTs, ADM race cai, ADM ZL1 scoop
Whiteside Customs Super Street 2 Package w/ coilovers
BC Racing Coilovers and lowered, Whiteline Bushings & Swaybars
MBRP catback exhaust, ZL1 bumper conversion, Drake billet shifter, Hurst paddles, NLP rear spoiler, OEM GFX, Vis Racing hood, ASA GT5 wheels
kbui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:18 PM   #3
Huck1974
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS
Please don't start this. It gets retarded real quick.
Different motor
Different gears

soon we will have three pages of crap. They are different but both fun.
Huck1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 12:30 AM   #4
76z28

Drives: 1976 camaro
didnt even think to look at the auto gearing d'oh
and yea your right...
76z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:00 AM   #5
ZCT

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS (IOM)
Wink

I'm a Brit. This means I grew up in a land where we drove on the wrong side of the road, and for the first decade of my driving I drove a stick. Probably 80% of British cars (or cars in Britain) are manual.

I have to say, having lived for ten years in the US, I don't understand the excitement people have for manual transmission. Modern automatics are a totally different ball game to the automatics of even five years ago. We are talking six or more gears, highly intelligent computer controlled shifting. It's not your grandfather's auto.

The sad reality is that for the most part a computer in a car is now better at selecting and changing gears than you. Sorry to hurt your ego if you think you are a great driver and all. But really, a computer can kick your ass.

So for me, despite a decade of stick driving, and a decade of auto driving under my belt, I would always pick an auto. Especially here in the US, where the roads are so big and mostly straight.

The auto lets you concentrate on the road, on enjoying the vehicle, and having fun. The stick is just something you constantly have to do, and while it once gave you the best driving experience, I really believe that this is rarely the case any more.

Just my 2C. Or as we say in England; 2P. Although honestly, we don't have that expression in the UK at all...
ZCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:13 AM   #6
jmaryt

Drives: 2010 cgm LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCT View Post
I'm a Brit. This means I grew up in a land where we drove on the wrong side of the road, and for the first decade of my driving I drove a stick. Probably 80% of British cars (or cars in Britain) are manual.

I have to say, having lived for ten years in the US, I don't understand the excitement people have for manual transmission. Modern automatics are a totally different ball game to the automatics of even five years ago. We are talking six or more gears, highly intelligent computer controlled shifting. It's not your grandfather's auto.

The sad reality is that for the most part a computer in a car is now better at selecting and changing gears than you. Sorry to hurt your ego if you think you are a great driver and all. But really, a computer can kick your ass.

So for me, despite a decade of stick driving, and a decade of auto driving under my belt, I would always pick an auto. Especially here in the US, where the roads are so big and mostly straight.

The auto lets you concentrate on the road, on enjoying the vehicle, and having fun. The stick is just something you constantly have to do, and while it once gave you the best driving experience, I really believe that this is rarely the case any more.

Just my 2C. Or as we say in England; 2P. Although honestly, we don't have that expression in the UK at all...
"tons" of u.s drivers still prefer the manual,BECAUSE shifting is part of the "fun" experience!..regardless of the efficiency of the "slush" box!
jmaryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:16 AM   #7
shawn18
OWTATIME

Drives: 1969 CaRaMo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaryt View Post
"tons" of u.s drivers still prefer the manual,BECAUSE shifting is part of the "fun" experience!..regardless of the efficiency of the "slush" box!
Agreed
shawn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:57 AM   #8
VRMMMM

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
I like both for differant reasons. Both are great, it comes down to what you want to do with your car IMHO.
Detroit Speed springs and Sway bars, MGW short shifter, BMR upper and lower control arms, BMR bushings, Roto-Fab intake, Magnaflow exhaust, MTX factory sub, painted stripes, blacked out, recessed tail lights, Pedders sub frame bushings, more on the way
VRMMMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 03:52 AM   #9
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
thats nothing like going though the gears of a v8
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:56 AM   #10
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76z28 View Post
NO this isn't a regret post but...
i was building a camaro on the webstie and it says if i want the auto i have to upgrade/downgrade from a 3.45 to a 3.27 axle ratio? is this the case or is that just the GM site? That might be one reason the auto doesn't seem as fun

This has been covered over and over and over.. Do a search and you will find them
Old 07-18-2010, 08:44 AM   #11
ZCT

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS (IOM)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaryt View Post
Of course, ultimately it is to each their own. But despite about an equal time with both methods, I can't get excited about a manual, just like I can't get excited about washing my own car.

For me personally, buying a manual, would be like tossing my iPhone and getting a Razr.
ZCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:44 AM   #12
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCT View Post
Of course, ultimately it is to each their own. But despite about an equal time with both methods, I can't get excited about a manual, just like I can't get excited about washing my own car.

For me personally, buying a manual, would be like tossing my iPhone and getting a Razr.
It is a mental stigma most people have with manuals. I had it as well, felt my buddies would think I was a pansi if I went auto...but it reminds me way to much of what I felt when I was learning to drive and dealing with the hassle of "raking" through the gears in Orlando is not fun...it never has been. The number of manuals are in the decline.. there is a reason for it, and it isn't because people are getting any worse at driving. Drivers world wide have always sucked...

When I finally realized I can watch the road and see how fast I am going compared my buddies manual...I no longer have the feeling. Nor do I have to listen to my chick bitch about how shes going to vomit in a manual.
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:50 AM   #13
Tarl

Drives: Rally Yellow/black -2010 Camaro
Hey, watch it!! I have a Razr!! :P
Tarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:56 AM   #14
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by brantley847 View Post
It is a mental stigma most people have with manuals. I had it as well, felt my buddies would think I was a pansi if I went auto...but it reminds me way to much of what I felt when I was learning to drive and dealing with the hassle of "raking" through the gears in Orlando is not fun...it never has been. The number of manuals are in the decline.. there is a reason for it, and it isn't because people are getting any worse at driving. Drivers world wide have always sucked...

When I finally realized I can watch the road and see how fast I am going compared my buddies manual...I no longer have the feeling. Nor do I have to listen to my chick bitch about how shes going to vomit in a manual.
manual are for sure dying out... no doubt.. every thing will be duel clutch paddle shifters... in like 4-5 years
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote