Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-22-2010, 12:20 PM   #15
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
Make it work for 2010's too. I want the Droid app for my Evo!
Old 07-22-2010, 12:26 PM   #16
x626xBlack
ARMY of one.

Drives: 2011 Black SS/RS
Not sure if i want a phone to have the ability to unlock my car. If phone is stolen or hacked....... Or if signal from phone is recorded....

I have Remote start on my key-fob.
x626xBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:30 PM   #17
DevilKnightFalcon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Send a message via AIM to DevilKnightFalcon Send a message via Yahoo to DevilKnightFalcon
Quote:
Originally Posted by x626xBlack View Post
Not sure if i want a phone to have the ability to unlock my car. If phone is stolen or hacked....... Or if signal from phone is recorded....

I have Remote start on my key-fob.
It would not be a direct signal from your phone to the car I wouldn't think. The phone would send encrypted data to OnStar over it's data connection and OnStar would send the signal to your car. Do you do mobile banking on your iPhone? It's no different. You will have a username and password.

MBRP Catback/Magnaflow Resonated X/Airraid V2 CAI/Dash ABL/Interior LEDs/Custom Paint/Jet Coated American Racing LT Headers/High Flow cats/Trifecta Tune
DevilKnightFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:34 PM   #18
destroyerofu2
xbox360 tag

Drives: 2010 inferno orange 2SS
i want to be able to roll my windows down too, and maybe up if it rains and im away from car
It's mine, like it or not. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108079
destroyerofu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:47 PM   #19
x626xBlack
ARMY of one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilKnightFalcon View Post
It would not be a direct signal from your phone to the car I wouldn't think. The phone would send encrypted data to OnStar over it's data connection and OnStar would send the signal to your car. Do you do mobile banking on your iPhone? It's no different. You will have a username and password.
No I do not do Mobile Banking.

I understand the process, also understand most people check the remember username and password. And very few use the phone lock feature.
Ever lost a phone or had one stolen? I have.

The average person will have the UN/PW saved in the app and no PW protection for their phone. Loose the iPhone in a mall, kid picks it up, sees the ap. Goes to parking lot to look for lights.

Everyone has their thoughts. This is just not one i am comfortable with.

Correct me if i am wrong but your mobile banking app does not spit out cash from a small hole in your phone does it? It is somewhat safer....... you can x-fer funds between ckng and savings, check balance, pay bills... Can not wire transfer your account funds to western union.

People need to understand the risks and be very careful with this is what I am trying to say.

The fact it is done through OnStar means they do not need to be any where near the car to unlock it.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:48 PM   #20
lock

Drives: 11 2SS/RS E-Force Supercharged
Can the app fill the car up with 93 too? Cool stuff.

lock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:48 PM   #21
x626xBlack
ARMY of one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroyerofu2 View Post
i want to be able to roll my windows down too, and maybe up if it rains and im away from car
Now THAT I would love! I have had a Lexus and have a 2010 RAM and both allow you to roll the windows down from the remote start.

Helps to cool the car off before you get into it.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:52 PM   #22
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:
No I do not do Mobile Banking.

I understand the process, also understand most people check the remember username and password. And very few use the phone lock feature.
Ever lost a phone or had one stolen? I have.

The average person will have the UN/PW saved in the app and no PW protection for their phone. Loose the iPhone in a mall, kid picks it up, sees the ap. Goes to parking lot to look for lights.

Everyone has their thoughts. This is just not one i am comfortable with.

Correct me if i am wrong but your mobile banking app does not spit out cash from a small hole in your phone does it? It is somewhat safer....... you can x-fer funds between ckng and savings, check balance, pay bills... Can not wire transfer your account funds to western union.

People need to understand the risks and be very careful with this is what I am trying to say.

The fact it is done through OnStar means they do not need to be any where near the car to unlock it.
Just because you start the car, don't you need the key inserted to move?

Also, it would be very wise to use the lock feature if you have this app. it's good to use anyway. And if anyone is worried about these kind of things, then just lock the phone.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:53 PM   #23
huggercamaro21
Sales Manager for Chevy

Drives: Tahoe RST
Best news all day.
huggercamaro21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:54 PM   #24
PoorMansCamaro

Also, i have the bank of america app on my phone. i have it remember my username, but then you always have to enter the passcode. there is no option to remember that.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:03 PM   #25
x626xBlack
ARMY of one.

Ok good to know... I am not worried about someone stealing the car. You need a key to drive... I know a lot of females who lock their purse in the trunk, laptops, etc.... when going in somewhere. It is the ability UnLock the car I am worried about. Which is already on the Key. But you have to be with in range of the car. With OnStar I could walk into a full parking lot at night and just hit the button to see whos lights flashed.

It is good that you lock your phone but most people don't. I have a corporate phone BB and hate that it auto locks.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:06 PM   #26
ShadoChaser
Gamer & Ghosthunter!

Drives: 2010 GCN 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrail View Post
Make it work for 2010's too. I want the Droid app for my Evo!
+1

I just hope they make it work for the 2010 Also, or else that would suck.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:08 PM   #27
PoorMansCamaro

Quote:
Ok good to know... I am not worried about someone stealing the car. You need a key to drive... I know a lot of females who lock their purse in the trunk, laptops, etc.... when going in somewhere. It is the ability UnLock the car I am worried about. Which is already on the Key. But you have to be with in range of the car. With OnStar I could walk into a full parking lot at night and just hit the button to see whos lights flashed.

It is good that you lock your phone but most people don't. I have a corporate phone BB and hate that it auto locks.
Yeah, i guess there is a risk there, but maybe not. we'll have to wait for the app to come out. maybe they'll have a passcode you always have to enter to unlock/start the car.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:51 PM   #28
ackeight

Drives: 10' 2SS/RS
I wouldn't see why it couldn't work with the 2010's. It's not like they need to do anything special to the car to make it work. It's just the same ol' signal that Onstar gets to/from the car.
ackeight is offline   Reply With Quote