Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 09-19-2010, 06:15 PM   #239
WOLFINN_2SS
Wuf! Wuf! *Low Growl*

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 IBM/S HUD SR ATAK
Well Lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalnch View Post
As luck would have it, I was doing some fix'er up jobs around the house and one of them was to install new floor transition mouldings on some of the room door thresholds. I went to the Home Depot and picked up this plastic channel that is used to hold down the "T" shaped piece of floor moulding.

After the job was done, I had some extra lengths of the plastic channel and I thought, "This would be perfect for holding the LED foot well light strips" (that I just received from AAC). Haven't installed the strips yet, but have a look at these pics. The strip fits perfectly within the channel and it will be easy to zap strap them on to the underside of the dash where there are convenient holes. The passenger side is especially helpful cause there isn't a good flat surface for the light strips to be glued to. The footwell strips have 3M double sided sticky on it.

Attachment 165222

Attachment 165223

Attachment 165224

These plastic channels come in 36" lengths.

Nice thinking Avalnch! I like ideas like this.
The more protection the better. Easier to mount up too.
Thanks man!
Old 09-19-2010, 08:28 PM   #240
miltp
Jim Pappas

Drives: Rally Yellow 2SS/RS,Auto,G/X
I used this method and the lights work with the dome . scroll down to the pictures on this thread. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70442
miltp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 02:30 PM   #241
Chad's ZL1
THERAPY

Drives: Red Rock Metallic ZL1
where are people buying there lights at and are you happy with their product. Looking at making purchase this week, but I need to know of some people to by from. Was going to go the aac route, but not sure if i can wire theirs like you guys have it on here.

Thanks
Chad's ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:01 PM   #242
1badtie

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad's 2ss View Post
where are people buying there lights at and are you happy with their product. Looking at making purchase this week, but I need to know of some people to by from. Was going to go the aac route, but not sure if i can wire theirs like you guys have it on here.

Thanks
the only differance is some ppl are using a switch to turn them on/off and some ppl are having them come on with the dome light (tapping into the wire) and not running a switch

2010 2SS RS --- SOLD
MODS-
Performance: BMR trailing arms & bushings | BMR Toe links | X-pipe | Muffler delete | Vmax ported throttle body | Apex "strong" MAS | Vararam CAI | Apex catch can | Kooks Headers | Kooks HF Cats | Dyno tuned by GPI 417 RWHP 409 FT-Lb
Cosmetic: painted Zl1 rockers | Zl1 grill | AAC side markers | AAC LED backup lights | windows tint | taillight tint | JDP tow hook | all emblems blacked out | LED fogs
1badtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:20 PM   #243
Chad's ZL1
THERAPY

Where can I order the lights
Old 09-20-2010, 04:31 PM   #244
13lade

Drives: '11 SIM 2ss/rs LS3 #13363 iom seats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad's 2ss View Post
Where can I order the lights
I got mine from Xenithxenons.com... they are a forum sponsor here. IF you have the IOM interior, the red strips they have are a perfect match.

I believe AAC might also have some color-matched blue/green strips if you have the blue/green ABL....
13lade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:50 PM   #245
Chad's ZL1
THERAPY

What does iom stand for. I'm looking for blue ones
Old 09-20-2010, 07:26 PM   #246
qbert48

Drives: 2SS SIM
iom is inferno orange metallic, you are looking for ice blue abl look to ACC for their new led strips i really love the color
you will find my pics on page 7 post 274

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83387

welcome home
1100 4-27-09
6000 6-27-09

yes i got to the dance late don't hate me
qbert48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:17 PM   #247
superman

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteCZM523 View Post
Just did this Install, and didnt want to have the footwell lights running off the Dome light. I wanted them to be on at the same time as the rest of the Ambient Lighting in the car. After some testing/prodding/poking with a Volt-Meter and found a wire that works perfectly!!

The above wire is located behind the Driver's Side kick panel, and is yellow. To get to it you will need to open the door, and remove the panel that covers the fuse box. Then you will see that there is a little blue tab that holds the kick panel in place, push it up to unlock it and the rest is just held in with plastic pop pins. If you need me to post pics of the location i will!

Also, the lights now come on when you open the drivers side door, and turn off the same way the dome light does (theater dimming). They also turn on whenever the headlights are on!! I wired up a rocker switch, which i hid in the glove box to have the ability to turn them off completely, on all the time, or on with the rest of the ABL.
Is the red electrical tape from proding? Also is this yellow wire present in 1SS cars?
superman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 06:27 AM   #248
Phase V
Summer

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM w/ Black Stripes
Send a message via AIM to Phase V Send a message via Yahoo to Phase V Send a message via Skype™ to Phase V
does anyone know what fuse in the fuse box is for the dome light cuz I figure just making that a bigger fuse instead of doing the T-tap with an extra fuse would just work better.

Also, if you just tapped the wire after the dome light switch that goes to the light wouldn't the dome light switch then control the footwell lighting also? then you wouldn't need an extra switch

Restoring or need parts for a Chevy. Look no further than Don's East Coast Restorations
Phase V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:53 AM   #249
TonyNo

Drives: 2016 2SS, SW
A lot of stuff in the car is on breakers and not fuses. The fuse was to protect the BCM, just in case.

The grey wire I tapped is "after the switch".
Old 09-24-2010, 10:07 AM   #250
Road_Warrior85

Drives: IBM 2SSRS, 12 Jeep Wrangler 4door
Send a message via Yahoo to Road_Warrior85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase V View Post
does anyone know what fuse in the fuse box is for the dome light cuz I figure just making that a bigger fuse instead of doing the T-tap with an extra fuse would just work better.

Also, if you just tapped the wire after the dome light switch that goes to the light wouldn't the dome light switch then control the footwell lighting also? then you wouldn't need an extra switch
Almost

the problem then is that the lights only come on when the dome light does..... which means only when the door is open.. or only when the dome is manually turned on.

That may work for some... but I would like my floor lights on WITHOUT the dome light glaring in my face.... that way it is safe to turn them on while driving.

That makes this ordeal a little bit more difficult.

Now you have to have a 2nd power source, and a 3 way switch.

What I am doing is tapping into the plug that is left over from where the dash ABL/GM floor light kid "should have hooked up"

That way, I can turn them on anytime I want to (so long as lights/ABL door lights are on) AND i can control them with the fade switch that covers the rest of the dash lights
Old 09-24-2010, 10:34 AM   #251
Phase V
Summer

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM w/ Black Stripes
Send a message via AIM to Phase V Send a message via Yahoo to Phase V Send a message via Skype™ to Phase V
ok thanks guys. I guess I will just be duplicating TonyNo's install cuz I just want the lights to mimic the dome light. I used to have floor lights for at night and when I drove it was too distracting for me.
Now I have some work to do on my car

Restoring or need parts for a Chevy. Look no further than Don's East Coast Restorations
Phase V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:51 PM   #252
Chad's ZL1
THERAPY

I want my lights on a switch, and I have a blue led mini rocker switch, so I think I may just tap into the front cigarette lighter for the 12v power and then just ground her out! I would like them to come on when I open the door like the dome light, but If i put a switch to them and connect them to that yellow wire, that wont work huh.