Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 08-09-2015, 04:54 PM   #1
Old Man LT

Drives: 2012 1LT V6
Old Man LT's 2012 V6 Journal

Thanks for stopping by and taking a look at my journal. It's going to be a slow start, but I promise to keep you all updated on my progress.

Preface:

Yesterday, I went car shopping. I had 3 cars in mind.
  • Challenger
  • Mustang
  • Camaro

I really, really, really wanted a Challenger, but couldn't find one in my budget. (~$20k) There was 1 in my area that was for sale so I rushed to the dealer with a bank check in hand ready to buy it and was informed that they could not sell it to me, due to the airbag recall on many Chrysler vehicles. Maybe next time.

I then went to a Ford dealer and took the same check for $19000 and tried to buy a 2010 Mustang GT Conv. with ~50k miles on it. IMO, the dealer was way overpriced at $23,900 so I offered 19 for it and was promptly laughed at. Not just a chuckle. A full on belly laugh like he thought I was crazy. He went "to check with the sales manager" while I stood there dumbfounded. I wait about 20 minutes and decide that they must not want to sell the car very badly, and so I left.

After stopping for a bite to eat and to gather my thoughts and form a plan, I decided that since I had never driven a Camaro, I didn't want to rule it out so I swung by my local dealer. They were very accomodating as I went over my parameters for buying. The car could not be over 3 years old with less than 35k miles on it and I needed the car for 19000 out the door. There was a 2013 black (or might have been charcoal grey) RS on the lot that I instantly knew I couldn't afford. They insisted I drive it, as they had a Camaro 1LT that was having the ignition recall fixed, so it couldn't be driven yet. I was told the performance would be similar to the RS, it just wouldn't have as many bells and whistles, which is fine by me. I am not pretentious and don't need all the creature comforts. As long as it has air conditioning and a kick ass radio, I'm good to go.

So we take the RS on probably the best test drive I've ever experienced. The salesman wasn't in a hurry to make a sale. He wanted to make sure I was satisfied with the experience and comfortable with the car before committing. We took the car around town, got it on the highway and he demanded I lay into it to see how the V6 felt. I felt like a kid again. I was more than happy with the acceleration, looks, feel of the steering and decided in that instant that I had to have a Camaro of my own. We began the process of completing the paperwork, and by the time the day was done, I had bought a 2012 Camaro 1LT in Inferno Orange Metallic. The car is now sitting at the dealer while they finish up the recall fix and program the new keys, give it a paint job (the right rear fender had some deep scratches that were down to the primer), and give it a good detail afterwards.

The journey begins.......

Here is a pic of the car that the dealer took when it was listed for sale. I bought the very same car in the picture.

And for good measure, a pic of the Mustang I got laughed at over..

Old Man LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 05:34 PM   #2
Demon War Horse
War Horse Pilot

Drives: 2017 NFG 1SS 1LE
I think you will be happier in the Camaro anyway. Great color choice as well. These are so much fun to drive!

Watch out for the mod bug. That sucker is contagious!

SigPic by Hazman
Demon War Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 05:36 PM   #3
clashley1976

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS M6
Nice ride! Welcome to the club.
CAI intake, VTC, VMax PTB, VMax Iceolator, Apex intake scoop, Roto-Fab washer bottle relocate
Build Journal: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=419992

clashley1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 05:51 PM   #4
JMT

Drives: 2013 1LT
Welcome, and yes it's true the MOD bug is waiting!
When I bought mine I was just like you and swore I would be leaving it stock as I was so happy with it, just wanted the RS gauge pack...$10,000 later and one more MOD coming next week.(swear it's the last one) it's just these cars are so Modable! And it's fun to do, like getting a new car with each MOD.
Enjoy
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 05:59 PM   #5
LBreezie

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th anniversary
Welcome. nice car! You will really appreciate how well these cars are actually built
LBreezie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:50 PM   #6
Old Man LT

Drives: 2012 1LT V6
Thank you!

I'm the last bastion of the 70's and I love the classic styling of the late 60s and early generations of Camaros. Any mods I do are going to be related to that era of production - classic styling with modern features so to speak. I have some things thought up already. I did want to ask with regard to the RS gauge pack - how hard are they to install? I haven't worked on a car in a few years and am really good at goofing things up and breaking them or making things look run down and cheap. The goal of this car is to have some class and make it look respectable. We shall see how it goes.

One thing I can tell off the bat is Camaro folk seem way more friendly than the Mustang elitists.
Old Man LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 09:05 PM   #7
Demon War Horse
War Horse Pilot

The gauge pach is pretty easy provided you have the harness in there to work with. I had to remove mine to do a mod and it was pretty easy. Check Gen5Diy.com they may have a ready to go kit.

SigPic by Hazman
Old 08-09-2015, 09:07 PM   #8
Demon War Horse
War Horse Pilot

Check this thread... Might be real easy.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162988

SigPic by Hazman
Old 08-09-2015, 10:04 PM   #9
dianeokie
Going places

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Victory Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man LT View Post
Thank you!

I'm the last bastion of the 70's and I love the classic styling of the late 60s and early generations of Camaros. Any mods I do are going to be related to that era of production - classic styling with modern features so to speak. I have some things thought up already. I did want to ask with regard to the RS gauge pack - how hard are they to install? I haven't worked on a car in a few years and am really good at goofing things up and breaking them or making things look run down and cheap. The goal of this car is to have some class and make it look respectable. We shall see how it goes.

One thing I can tell off the bat is Camaro folk seem way more friendly than the Mustang elitists.
I've done some of what you mentioned on my car, some throw back features, with some new conveniences too. I have a hurst shifter with the white "ball" knob, thinking about houndstooth interior, but just have the seat covers in houndstooth for now. I have hood vents, a nod to the past, and headlight covers (non functional) and see through. There's lots of DIY threads on here and you can probably find club members in your town in the regional section that might be able to help you.

"just stay with traffic, you'll be fine". = famous last words
dianeokie is offline   Reply With Quote