Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 12-18-2015, 09:33 AM   #1
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
JANNETTY RACING FORCED INDUCTION Q&A

I thought it would be cool to start a Q&A session regarding Forced Induction since we are a major dealer for all supercharger, and turbo companies.

We have experience and can answer questions for the following companies.

A&A Corvettes Superchargers
AGP turbo
EastCoast Supercharging
Edelbrock
Fabberge turbo
Hellion Turbo systems
Kraftwerks superchargers
Magnuson/Magnacharger
SLP superchargers
Paxton
Procharger
Vortech
Whipple

We work with all of these companies and offer full kits and Tuner kits with supporting mods and Custom tuning to make it a Plug and Play Power solution.

Any technical questions post them here and I will be happy to answer.

Please NO Questions regarding Pricing that should be handled via Email at tedj@jannettyracing.com

Ted.

Last edited by JANNETTYRACING; 01-05-2016 at 11:53 AM.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 01:23 PM   #2
Wattser93

Drives: 2013 2SS RS L99
I live at about ~4500 ft of elevation and keep kicking around the idea of adding a PD supercharger to my SS. My goal is 500 RWHP.

I've debated between the LSA conversion (cheaper) and the Magnuson (more potential).

At what power level does the Magnuson become the clear winner?
Wattser93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 01:54 PM   #3
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattser93 View Post
I live at about ~4500 ft of elevation and keep kicking around the idea of adding a PD supercharger to my SS. My goal is 500 RWHP.

I've debated between the LSA conversion (cheaper) and the Magnuson (more potential).

At what power level does the Magnuson become the clear winner?
At Elevation bigger is better so I would move to the Magnuson right from the start.

Ted.
Old 12-18-2015, 02:40 PM   #4
Speedfreak391
One man Army

Drives: 1987 Iroc Players car
I just bought a used Whipple 2.9 for my 2010 L99. I live in Michigan and am wondering if there is anything that I will need to buy for this setup. I am not looking for crazy numbers since this is my daily in the summer. I already have LT's and a tune but I know I will need a tune for it. Do I have to change the cam, and or get rid of the AFM? Can I run the afm with the SC? Can I get a mail order tune for this set up. I have a mail order tune now for the NA setup. Or should I get it custom tuned? I have heard that with a cold air and headers it needs to be custom tuned. Is this true?

2010 Camaro 2SS/RS with a K&N cold air Stainless Power headers, Magnaflow cat-back, staggered TSW Nurburgring's just a great daily driver.
Speedfreak391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 03:05 PM   #5
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedfreak391 View Post
I just bought a used Whipple 2.9 for my 2010 L99. I live in Michigan and am wondering if there is anything that I will need to buy for this setup. I am not looking for crazy numbers since this is my daily in the summer. I already have LT's and a tune but I know I will need a tune for it. Do I have to change the cam, and or get rid of the AFM? Can I run the afm with the SC? Can I get a mail order tune for this set up. I have a mail order tune now for the NA setup. Or should I get it custom tuned? I have heard that with a cold air and headers it needs to be custom tuned. Is this true?
Hello and congrats on a great blower.

I guess it will depend on how complete the kit you purchased is.

You can put it on your all stock L99 and make some nice power.

Things I recommend are.

ZL-1 fuel pump
Special Fuel pump control module
ZR-1 3 bar Map sensor
TR7IX plugs
Set of MSD wires

A custom tune will be required.

I can provide a custom email tune for you.

Ted.
Old 12-18-2015, 04:33 PM   #6
Speedfreak391
One man Army

Drives: 1987 Iroc Players car
Thanks for the quick reply. I am getting the LPE SS twin fuel pump setup with the charger. I already have the TR7IX's, and the MSD wires in my tool box. So I will need the ZR-1 3 bar. will this fuel pump setup work good for what I am doing? http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merc...5#.VnSJAhUrKUm

And I will be calling you about a tune!
Thanks again.

2010 Camaro 2SS/RS with a K&N cold air Stainless Power headers, Magnaflow cat-back, staggered TSW Nurburgring's just a great daily driver.
Speedfreak391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:45 AM   #7
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply. I am getting the LPE SS twin fuel pump setup with the charger. I already have the TR7IX's, and the MSD wires in my tool box. So I will need the ZR-1 3 bar. will this fuel pump setup work good for what I am doing? http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merc...5#.VnSJAhUrKUm

And I will be calling you about a tune!
Thanks again.
The LPE twin pump system is a good one we don't like to exceed 750 rwhp auto and 800 rwhp manual with it.

Ted.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:47 AM   #8
Bildo

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3
Anyone sell valve covers with bungs for a catch cans pre installed?
Bildo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:53 AM   #9
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bildo View Post
Anyone sell valve covers with bungs for a catch cans pre installed?
Problem with that is there is typically no baffling to keep heavy oil out of the catch can.

We choose to use the factory baffled fittings and add our crankcase breather with check valve.

Ted.
Old 12-21-2015, 07:51 PM   #10
Andy-AMSOIL

Drives: bicycle
Quote:
It be nice to kmow how it all works for you.
Andy-AMSOIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 01:22 PM   #11
SSeniorMoment

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 A6 IOM
Thanks Ted for starting this thread, some of our local Camaro group have done business with you and your business has a stellar reputation.

I'm old school sbc, so for the purpose of my questions, please assume I don't know the basics and elaborate a bit for the reasons of your response. Hopefully this will also benefit others who are also following this thread.

I live at 4300ft, but I also drive on mile high plus highways, 91 octane.

Currently, 821 casting heads 66cc ported/CNCd by Frankenstein (~11.1:1 comp), Kip spec'd Cam Motion low lash solid roller camshaft, 234.5°/.637" - 244°/.624" 114°/110°. ...Jesel shaft mounted rockers (tall MAST valve covers), tuned 6l80e transmission with Circle D 3600 stall. Pfadt Tri-Ys w/hi flow cats and 3" Stainless Works retro chamber exhaust.

Please walk me through this;
Arbitrary goal is 800-850whp at altitude with crap gas.
ECS Paxton 1500 Novi?
Change to 2" headers?
Want to go forged.....3.9"-4.0" stroke, what dish pistons? Goal for what compression ratio at what boost?
Change trans to 6l90 or modify 6l80e?
Send torque converter back to Circle D for modification?
New solid roller cam specs?
ZL1 diff assembly?
Have BMR LCAs, adjustable toe rods for Weld 17"×10" rt-s wheels, MH 325-45-17

Trying to strengthen weak points with hp/tq goals, thoughts?

Have a Merry Christmas
SSeniorMoment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 02:08 PM   #12
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSeniorMoment View Post
Thanks Ted for starting this thread, some of our local Camaro group have done business with you and your business has a stellar reputation.

I'm old school sbc, so for the purpose of my questions, please assume I don't know the basics and elaborate a bit for the reasons of your response. Hopefully this will also benefit others who are also following this thread.

I live at 4300ft, but I also drive on mile high plus highways, 91 octane.

Currently, 821 casting heads 66cc ported/CNCd by Frankenstein (~11.1:1 comp), Kip spec'd Cam Motion low lash solid roller camshaft, 234.5°/.637" - 244°/.624" 114°/110°. ...Jesel shaft mounted rockers (tall MAST valve covers), tuned 6l80e transmission with Circle D 3600 stall. Pfadt Tri-Ys w/hi flow cats and 3" Stainless Works retro chamber exhaust.

Please walk me through this;
Arbitrary goal is 800-850whp at altitude with crap gas.
ECS Paxton 1500 Novi?
Change to 2" headers?
Want to go forged.....3.9"-4.0" stroke, what dish pistons? Goal for what compression ratio at what boost?
Change trans to 6l90 or modify 6l80e?
Send torque converter back to Circle D for modification?
New solid roller cam specs?
ZL1 diff assembly?
Have BMR LCAs, adjustable toe rods for Weld 17"×10" rt-s wheels, MH 325-45-17

Trying to strengthen weak points with hp/tq goals, thoughts?

Have a Merry Christmas
Thank you sir, We work hard every day to maintain customer satisfaction.

Elevation does play a strong roll in power production and how the car will be set up.

800-850 RWHP on 91 octane is not going to happen unless you can some how squeeze 600+ cubic inches under the hood with boost.

You will need a professionally built 427 or larger with twin turbos to come close to that number and I would recommend more octane as it will be much easier.

Octane is always the limiter of how much power we can produce on a given combination.

Turbos have the advantage over all forms of supercharging at elevation.

6l90 would be a good move if you can reach your power goals, if not then the 6l80 is good to 650 RWHP out of the box with good tuning.

The torque converter will have to be reconfigured no matter what you change.

With turbos the cam does not have to be big this is a case of Less is More.

The ZL-1 Diff package is a Home run.

BMR has some great products.

Weld is our go to wheel for drag racing.

Ted.
Old 12-24-2015, 08:46 AM   #13
Smirnoff

Drives: Camaro SS
Hey Ted,

Out of all of the options you offer - what is your opinion on the best LS3 (2010) forced induction option regarding the following:

1. Maximum of 6lbs of boost
2. Minimal cutting, splicing, soldering, drilling, hacking, etc to install
3. Quality (no maintenance or known issues; heatsink, failures, excuses, etc)
4. Warranty (actually back their product)

I thought some early FI versions with an 80-page installation manual were very-very crude, especially if a decision was made to remove it & go back to stock (car didn’t look stock).

Have you installed & tuned a Procharger i-1 yet, if so, what are your thoughts & would it be considered? I like the capability of turning on/off boost & the options of programming, however, I question the longevity of the CVT belt…..

Smirnoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 11:10 AM   #14
Green Machine
Always Workin

Drives: 2021 Mazda MX-5
Two Questions... any input would be appreciated

I already have the AGP Turbo kit installed on my car with their catch can installed how they showed.

1.) I want to get a catch can that looks more appealing under the engine bay and was wondering if you could suggest something along with how to route it.

2.) I'm going to be installing Holley aftermarket valve covers when I install my cam and headstuds. I currently have the oil return routed through the oil fill cap so after the new valve covers I can't do that anymore. Should I weld in a bung in the valve cover near the oil fill or should I (of find someone) to drill/tap my oil pan for the oil return... I'm not very comfortable on doing the oil pan myself.

2018 1SS 1LE, HyperBlue Metallic (Sold)
2014 1SS 1LE, Black, Twin Turbo (Sold)
Green Machine is offline   Reply With Quote