Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 11-10-2022, 05:40 PM   #1
FASTFATBOY

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Mag Ride alternative.........

I am getting them off my car, I have spoken to Sam Strano about it. I was going to put Koni Yellows on the car but the fronts aren't available.

Mine are failing, the car rides like a tomato wagon.

Seems the 5th gen does not have any aftermarket support.

These Ridetechs have a million mile warranty and are rebuildable, per Sam for turning and handling they may be a good route for $2400.

Anyone else gone this route?

https://www.ridetech.com/product/coi...-series-gen-5/
Old 11-10-2022, 08:27 PM   #2
Lou gill

Drives: ‘13 ZL1 convertible
I would not give my Mag ride ride for anything!
Lou gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 06:25 AM   #3
FASTFATBOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou gill View Post

When they fail(and they will) and you can no longer get them(like now with the fronts, you can't get them)

What will you do?

I've already replaced them once.
Old 11-11-2022, 02:16 PM   #4
Shodown

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou gill View Post
You’ll have to eventually lol.
2014 ZL1 M6: Roto Fab Intake, LS3 TB, Long Tube Headers, NPP, Mild 2 Wild, JMS BAP, SMG aux pump, ID 1050X Injectors, DSX Flex Fuel Sensor, 10.5" DSX Lower Pulley, Killer Chiller, Tuned by Ted at JRE, Pedders XA Extreme coilovers, Mickey Thompson Street S/S on Weld S71s
Shodown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 09:37 PM   #5
Triple5even813
Learner of things

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6 coupe, black
QA1 makes a reasonably priced dual adjustable front strut kit for our cars. I have them on mine and while they're not fancy or pricy, the adjustability helps keep the weight on the rear wheels through the shifts. I run 10% rebound and about 75-80% compression.
2013 M6. Cammed, straight piped, 17# boost, E85. Tuned by CHenry Motorsports. 825rwhp @ 6450, 812 rwtq @ 3500. Stock unported blower, stock heads, stock bottom end, stock throttle body. Boost only, no meth, no nitrous
Triple5even813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 10:20 AM   #6
Vicster
1000hp is NEVER Enough!

Drives: 13' ZL1
I will be going with the Air Lift Performance air ride when mine die.

https://www.airliftperformance.com/v...vrolet-camaro/
Attached Images

Last edited by Vicster; 12-15-2022 at 03:05 PM.
Vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 11:36 AM   #7
Whisper1
Never Satisfied

Drives: 2012 ZL1, 2017 Challenger Scat Pack
Installation and set up cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY View Post
I am getting them off my car, I have spoken to Sam Strano about it. I was going to put Koni Yellows on the car but the fronts aren't available.

Mine are failing, the car rides like a tomato wagon.

Seems the 5th gen does not have any aftermarket support.

These Ridetechs have a million mile warranty and are rebuildable, per Sam for turning and handling they may be a good route for $2400.

Anyone else gone this route?

https://www.ridetech.com/product/coi...-series-gen-5/
Sorry yours have gone out twice. No doubt you have to make a change, basically immediately. How much would you figure for a reputable shop to do the install and fine tuning of a set up like this? I watched the video and this is not something I would let just anyone install for fear that the alignment etc. would not be dialed in correctly. Good luck with your swap and hope you will let us know the outcome.
Old 12-16-2022, 04:40 PM   #8
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper1 View Post
Sorry yours have gone out twice. No doubt you have to make a change, basically immediately. How much would you figure for a reputable shop to do the install and fine tuning of a set up like this? I watched the video and this is not something I would let just anyone install for fear that the alignment etc. would not be dialed in correctly. Good luck with your swap and hope you will let us know the outcome.
He’s more than capable of putting them on himself.. I meant Vicster with the Air ride.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 07:28 PM   #9
FASTFATBOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper1 View Post

I can do the install and then wrecker it to a shop and get it aligned. Setting ride height is a PITA and should really be done with a set of scales(which I have access to).

I have a good shop that can align it. Fine tuning the shock settings is on you and how you like it to feel.

No way in hell I'd put air ride on my car, I like it to turn with a lot of lateral grip.
Old 12-17-2022, 01:00 PM   #10
Whisper1
Never Satisfied

Drives: 2012 ZL1, 2017 Challenger Scat Pack
Got It

Quote:
I can do the install and then wrecker it to a shop and get it aligned. Setting ride height is a PITA and should really be done with a set of scales(which I have access to).

I have a good shop that can align it. Fine tuning the shock settings is on you and how you like it to feel.

No way in hell I'd put air ride on my car, I like it to turn with a lot of lateral grip.
Yeah, well that will work out good for you. Seems like half the guys on this board are mechanics. I have floor jacks and jack stands and enough skill to tackle a very basic bolt on. I'll use Vengeance Racing if I'm forced to make a change. Dodging the bullet so far at 22K but it sounds like it's inevitable. Good luck.
Old 12-21-2022, 10:25 PM   #11
Vicster
1000hp is NEVER Enough!

Drives: 13' ZL1
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post
He’s more than capable of putting them on himself.. I meant Vicster with the Air ride.
I will, it will be in my build journal... I found a tire speed shop that will align my car to my specs. They have always got it spot on. Biggest change to alignment is when I bolted in the 6 point rollbar.

I hate to say it, but I cannot wait for the magride struts to fail...
Old 12-21-2022, 10:46 PM   #12
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicster View Post
I will, it will be in my build journal... I found a tire speed shop that will align my car to my specs. They have always got it spot on. Biggest change to alignment is when I bolted in the 6 point rollbar.

I hate to say it, but I cannot wait for the magride struts to fail...
With the HP you are running won’t take long for the rears, just a few dozen or more of good hole shots, you’ll get your wish..
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 01:55 PM   #13
VelJones

Drives: Chevrolet/ ZL1
Quote:
When they fail(and they will) and you can no longer get them(like now with the fronts, you can't get them)

What will you do?

I've already replaced them once.
What do you mean you can’t get them anymore?
VelJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 07:04 PM   #14
FASTFATBOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelJones View Post
What do you mean you can’t get them anymore?

You need a decoder ring? At present you cannot get mag ride front shocks.

Not far in the future you won't won't be able to get them at all as GM is the only one who makes them and they will discontinue them.