Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 03-27-2012, 05:30 AM   #43
SixGracing

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 A6
To the OP. It's not really justified getting all butt-hurt by Mustangs spanking you. All you've done is add some exhaust and a CAI. You're not going to get 1000hp out of really basic mods. My car had LT's and exhaust and nothing else, is also an L99 and I was putting 344RWHP before a tune. Like you, I was not satisfied with the car and added a cam, torque converter, performance heads, UD pulley, CAI and a few other supporting mods. Contrary to what someone else posted about a Whipple or Maggie, that is not needed. I guarantee you that no 5.0 Mudstain will be running me in the 1/4. You just need to spend a little more money. Or, just be happy with what you have and race a slower car.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:48 AM   #44
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixGracing View Post
To the OP. It's not really justified getting all butt-hurt by Mustangs spanking you. All you've done is add some exhaust and a CAI. You're not going to get 1000hp out of really basic mods. My car had LT's and exhaust and nothing else, is also an L99 and I was putting 344RWHP before a tune. Like you, I was not satisfied with the car and added a cam, torque converter, performance heads, UD pulley, CAI and a few other supporting mods. Contrary to what someone else posted about a Whipple or Maggie, that is not needed. I guarantee you that no 5.0 Mudstain will be running me in the 1/4. You just need to spend a little more money. Or, just be happy with what you have and race a slower car.
No 5.0? That's an awful broad statement... And i don't see how you could guarantee that...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:12 AM   #45
SixGracing

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
No 5.0? That's an awful broad statement... And i don't see how you could guarantee that...
I'm referring to the OP's issues with the Mustangs he was running with. I don't mean "every" mustang. It was a broad statement but I'm talking about a stock 5.0 with a few mods. It's really a senseless game of who's faster. I put this mod on, he puts that mod on, I put tires, he puts TC, I put Supercharger.. When does it end? I think to the OP he just needs to realize you'll never be the fastest.

I had similar experiences though with stock GT's here in Vegas. None of them were getting anywhere near 11's with the few mods they had. The Mustang poster here is not being straight with us.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:18 AM   #46
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixGracing View Post
I'm referring to the OP's issues with the Mustangs he was running with. I don't mean "every" mustang. It was a broad statement but I'm talking about a stock 5.0 with a few mods. It's really a senseless game of who's faster. I put this mod on, he puts that mod on, I put tires, he puts TC, I put Supercharger.. When does it end? I think to the OP he just needs to realize you'll never be the fastest.

I had similar experiences though with stock GT's here in Vegas. None of them were getting anywhere near 11's with the few mods they had. The Mustang poster here is not being straight with us.
Ok... thanks for clarifying!

My personal experience is I see more Camaro SSs in the 13s than I do the new 5.0s... However I do see more Camaros overall... My personal observation is that for whatever reason, a typical driver seems to be able to pilot a 5.0 easier than the SS... I haven't gone over in the pits to talk to the owners... it's just a casual observation... Perhaps this season we'll see more 5.0s out at the track..
Old 03-27-2012, 07:30 AM   #47
sschevybear11

Drives: 2011 Black 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtime View Post
I did have an '11 and took it out in the hottest part of the summer to make some baseline runs. Bone stock as it drove off of the lot. No traction tends to have an impact on the times along with Summer temps. You will also notice I took that car into the mid 11's with bolt-on's in Summer temps. 11.63@118 in ~2,500' DA to be exact.
Thank you for proving my point. My first outing with my camaro was in the heat of summer and it ran 13 teens at almost 110 with the same 2.2 60'. After modding you gained 2 seconds and 11 MPH. This shows you really dug in and made this car fast, but it didn't roll off the showroom floor and have you tune and bolt tires on it and run the number. My good friend bought an '11 manual and ran 12.85 stock in florida and then after a tune, light wheels/tires, exhaust, intake, 4.33 gears, boss manifold, and dropped some weight ran 11.9 so I know with mods and a driver they are fast.
Now: Coated Dynatech LT's/!Cats/Hurst Shifter/Roto-fab/SLP SS badges/JRE 415HP Tune, Scoop & Washer Relocation Bottle,Hurst Stunner 20X9 Wheels, Moroso Catch Can, ASP pulley, Magnaflow X-pipe, GTO remote clutch reservoir
1989 Silver 5.0 Mustang LX Coupe
1999 Pewter Tahoe LT
2011 Blue Camry SE
sschevybear11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:27 AM   #48
Bad70supreme

Drives: 2010 aqua blue SS/RS M6
Yes the 5.0 is a fast car, easier to make faster on the track with a easy tire swap and solid axle. But someone please explain to me then this, after spending all summer at the track, why did EVERY 5.0 bolt-on car I see run in the 12s, every stock one run low 13s to a best of 12.8s. Granted none of these cars had slicks and skinnys... I am getting sick of hearing how a tune and tires makes an mid 11 sec car Well lets F'in see it... cuz I never seen it other then some internet video that I am sorry but do not trust. Not when I see them at the track with those mods running 12s! I believe what I see with my own eyes in person. These stang nut swingers come on this forum and try throwing this crap all over the place. To bad I seen many 5th gens take down these same stang's. I will be at the track all summer and let my right foot do the talking.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:36 AM   #49
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
Quote:
remember it's not the size, it's how you use it... says the guy with the dinky little 3.5 liter....
dinky 3.5L that is dual-weilding some hair dryers maybe.

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:40 AM   #50
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock36 View Post
:emoticon7:
Old 03-27-2012, 08:52 AM   #51
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock36 View Post
Quote:
:emoticon7:
Nothing to see here, move along, move along...
Old 03-27-2012, 10:21 AM   #52
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, 2022 XC90
ya'll are a bunch of whiners. good lord. I found this thread via a buddy off a mustang forum. Go drive.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:28 AM   #53
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Drives: Sharkskin Grey LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad70supreme View Post
Yes the 5.0 is a fast car, easier to make faster on the track with a easy tire swap and solid axle. But someone please explain to me then this, after spending all summer at the track, why did EVERY 5.0 bolt-on car I see run in the 12s, every stock one run low 13s to a best of 12.8s. Granted none of these cars had slicks and skinnys... I am getting sick of hearing how a tune and tires makes an mid 11 sec car Well lets F'in see it... cuz I never seen it other then some internet video that I am sorry but do not trust. Not when I see them at the track with those mods running 12s! I believe what I see with my own eyes in person. These stang nut swingers come on this forum and try throwing this crap all over the place. To bad I seen many 5th gens take down these same stang's. I will be at the track all summer and let my right foot do the talking.
This has been my observation exactly. I'm sure you can make a 5.0 run 8s with money..no question. But even the Mustang magazines ran only high 12s and low 13s with their bone stock Mustang 5.0s...if you need a quote, I can get that for you. That's about what Camaros run and that with the disadvantages of 2-300 lbs of weight, factory headers, solid rear axle, and normally better gears. So, I'll just do what you said, "let my right foot do the talking". I've beaten enough Mustangs that my ego won't be seriously bruised by one guy who's put $6K in his stang to get into the 11s. You know, I drove a 2008 Mustang Bullitt for 2 full years knowing all along that most Chevy SS Cobalts would whip my butt....lol...I know!

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M, 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto 2017 HBM 1SS 1le
2002 C5 Corvette 6M 2018 2SS
2006 Corvette Auto 2023 Camaro LT1
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:42 AM   #54
Black GT
Banned

Drives: 2006 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisTNDude View Post
This has been my observation exactly. I'm sure you can make a 5.0 run 8s with money..no question. But even the Mustang magazines ran only high 12s and low 13s with their bone stock Mustang 5.0s...if you need a quote, I can get that for you. That's about what Camaros run and that with the disadvantages of 2-300 lbs of weight, factory headers, solid rear axle, and normally better gears. So, I'll just do what you said, "let my right foot do the talking". I've beaten enough Mustangs that my ego won't be seriously bruised by one guy who's put $6K in his stang to get into the 11s. You know, I drove a 2008 Mustang Bullitt for 2 full years knowing all along that most Chevy SS Cobalts would whip my butt....lol...I know!
So if only magazine times count for a car's best times, Looks like the Camaro is a low 13 sec car at best.
Even this forums fast list isn't correct with all the stock times claiming 12's
Black GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:27 AM   #55
Deki

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad70supreme View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisTNDude View Post
I've never seen a stock SS break into the 12s here. Doesn't mean car can't do it.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:54 AM   #56
sschevybear11

Drives: 2011 Black 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black GT View Post
So if only magazine times count for a car's best times, Looks like the Camaro is a low 13 sec car at best.
Even this forums fast list isn't correct with all the stock times claiming 12's
Not what he said and I subscribe to 5.0 and MM&FF and hes telling the truth. When the cars were new they took a auto/manual and never dipped 12's until the tune and only then did the manual run 12.9.

Let the trolling begin..........
Now: Coated Dynatech LT's/!Cats/Hurst Shifter/Roto-fab/SLP SS badges/JRE 415HP Tune, Scoop & Washer Relocation Bottle,Hurst Stunner 20X9 Wheels, Moroso Catch Can, ASP pulley, Magnaflow X-pipe, GTO remote clutch reservoir
1989 Silver 5.0 Mustang LX Coupe
1999 Pewter Tahoe LT
2011 Blue Camry SE
sschevybear11 is offline   Reply With Quote