Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 09:42 AM   #71
LosXC451

Drives: 2010 SS SIM w/ RS
I'm sure this is not gonna happen to too many other cars. I'm 100% sure GM did high speed testing on this and wouldve fixed the problem
Old 05-03-2009, 09:42 AM   #72
KJS

Drives: '10 RJT,'95&'14 Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
but obviously you read half the posts I've posted.
And even if I had put money down I've waited this long why not another few months? especially if this is a problem.
Actually I don't recall reading any of your posts before today....but based on what I've read of your's today, I don't think I'd want to read any others. LOL

When you've actually ordered a 2010 Camaro (and there's many who ordered a lot earlier than me) then you can talk about waiting...We all want a perfect Camaro, GM is committed to it, but everytime some thing else comes along its frustrating to those who pre-ordered.

You've managed to side step the headwinds issue which is interesting.

Your lecture of "waiting"..."prioritizing life"..."what's wrong with America" - don't criticize unless you know what your audience's situation is. You've got no freakin' idea pal, no freakin' idea! ! !
And yes it is one car that it happened to so we'll wait and see...

Mine at sunset
Old 05-03-2009, 09:43 AM   #73
Nine Ball

Drives: 1969 & 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
you read the thread one car, one car has the issue. so far. we haven't heard of any other cars with this issue and if it was an issue it would have come up a long time ago.
You are right, this is ONE case. Someone had to mention it first though. How many new Camaros out there have gone 150 mph yet? Probably none, other than this one. So, how would this issue have come up sooner? People just started getting production cars 2 weeks ago. I haven't even seen any other drag race tests or road course results yet, much less high speed runs. So yes, this is one case. Hopefully the ONLY one. We won't know unless others begin doing their own high speed tests. That might take months to gather more data, but like I said someone has to mention the first occurrence to get it noted.

I'm not negative about it, my car is still on order and I look forward to getting it. Does this potential issue concern me? Yep.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:44 AM   #74
Nine Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Mouse View Post
It looks as though just the paint is cracked.?
Plastic is cracked right through, not just the paint. Just FYI.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:45 AM   #75
b4z

Drives: '06 Pontiac GTO M6, '19 F150 2.7TT
I don't think the 150mph speed has anything to do with it.
If you drive 80mph for 2-3 years of ownership it's going to eventually crack due to the stress.
just like the b pillar sail panels on 3rd gens where it met the roof would crack and have to rewelded/brazed. Years of the body flexing would cause a crack at the weakest point.
And don't forget about the '80s Mustang GTs that had the floorpan cracks.
If it's not strong enough there's going to be a failure somewhere in the part.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:45 AM   #76
MrGazinya

Drives: Aggressive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Ball View Post
You are right, this is ONE case. Someone had to mention it first though. How many new Camaros out there have gone 150 mph yet? Probably none, other than this one. So, how would this issue have come up sooner? People just started getting production cars 2 weeks ago. I haven't even seen any other drag race tests or road course results yet, much less high speed runs. So yes, this is one case. Hopefully the ONLY one. We won't know unless others begin doing their own high speed tests. That might take months to gather more data, but like I said someone has to mention the first occurrence to get it noted.

I'm not negative about it, my car is still on order and I look forward to getting it. Does this potential issue concern me? Yep.
Someone needs to check the pace cars
Black 2SS RS LS3 Inferno Int. '17 1LE replica 20's {MODS} KOOKS LT: Borla S-Type: Roto-Fab CAI: Hurst ST.: PFADT Stage 2, Trailing arms, Tie Rods: ECS BigBlower Cam: Fast 102mm intake: Brian Tooley racing dual spring kit: TFS pushrod set: Katech C5R timing chain: Mellings high volume oil pump: ATI Balancer: Ideal performance upgraded clutch master cylinder:Tick performance upgraded slave cylinder/throwout bearing: Mantic 9000 twin disk clutch & light weight flywheel: Tuned by Doug Ring at ECS. 475RWHP/445RWTQ.Dynapack Dyno.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:47 AM   #77
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGazinya View Post
Even if this problem showed up on the Pace cars, it would be hushed up faster than a kid caught yankin' it.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:50 AM   #78
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
I believe it will be an easy thing to prevent, but somebody needs to take some pictures of the way the fascia mounts in this area if possible. It is possible that it is pulled a bit too tight, as one person mentioned or maybe not tight enough in another area. This fascia material is very strong and flexible, so I would think it is being pulled or fastened incorrectly causing a certain amount of preload on the fascia. The high speed run just caused the extra stress needed to finally crack it.

The force on this bumper grows dramatically with speeds this high (150mph), so this problem may not show up for most people. Although after a few years it will probably show up even from regular driving, so I think it will have to be addressed.

I can tell you that on my 2005 CTS, I got a small crack in the plastic part of the dash, it is barely noticeable, but Cadillac agreed to replace it, no problem. I know Cadillac is not Chevy but GM really does stand behind every inch of their cars, even what some would consider a relatively small detail.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:50 AM   #79
Nine Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Ball View Post
Plastic is cracked right through, not just the paint. Just FYI.
Here are two more shots. I zoomed in on the crack to show that it separated. This is not just a paint crack, it was the plastic.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:51 AM   #80
KJS

Drives: '10 RJT,'95&'14 Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGazinya View Post
Pace cars typically don't go much above 85 mph, depending on the track.

Mine at sunset
Old 05-03-2009, 09:51 AM   #81
levi1922

Drives: 2LT RS CGM
so have you talked to a dealer or anything yet?
Old 05-03-2009, 09:52 AM   #82
Nine Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by levi1922 View Post
so have you talked to a dealer or anything yet?
It isn't my car. I'm just a photographer/test-driver. It belongs to the shop, and I do not believe they have spoken with the dealership yet about it. I'll keep you updated on what is found out.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:53 AM   #83
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
[QUOTE=Nine Ball;453524]Here are two more shots. I zoomed in on the crack to show that it separated. This is not just a paint crack, it was the plastic.

Looks like a composite material? The layer underneath is still intact. Any pics possible from the inside?
Old 05-03-2009, 09:54 AM   #84
wyocamaro

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS, 2-2007 Silverados
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great KJ View Post
Don't drive I-80 in Wyoming !!!
Yea, so now I have to wait on a sunny day and no wind?? Guess I won't drive it! That is a serious issue with wind 79mph plus 40 gust and GM says ??

Closed Thread