Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 06-29-2017, 07:48 AM   #15
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
I'll be the contrarian here and say that I think learning on the street tires isn't a bad idea. Their tolerance is pretty low, so the line between a bog and a spin is pretty thin - but that's a good teacher. If you can cut some 2.0's on a street tire, then going to drags with that knowledge and feel will pay off pretty quickly.

That e-brake preload, on street tires, makes quite a difference. At least for me, with all stock diff/cradle bushings. With solids it's probably a lot less of an issue, but any time you can reduce shock loads to your expensive parts (ie. axles/diff/driveshaft/trans) you're doing yourself a favor. If you're going to drag race routinely I recommend making it part of your routine - it's really not that hard once you adapt.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 09:43 AM   #16
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
I'll be the contrarian here and say that I think learning on the street tires isn't a bad idea. Their tolerance is pretty low, so the line between a bog and a spin is pretty thin - but that's a good teacher. If you can cut some 2.0's on a street tire, then going to drags with that knowledge and feel will pay off pretty quickly.

That e-brake preload, on street tires, makes quite a difference. At least for me, with all stock diff/cradle bushings. With solids it's probably a lot less of an issue, but any time you can reduce shock loads to your expensive parts (ie. axles/diff/driveshaft/trans) you're doing yourself a favor. If you're going to drag race routinely I recommend making it part of your routine - it's really not that hard once you adapt.
That is what my though process is. Learn on the street tires then progress to the DR. I am looking into the e-brake load, sounds interesting. How exactly is it done?
TMS 427, Dart iron Block, Forged assembly, Frankenstien heads, AGP TT 62/62 BB turbo's, AGP/Fore triple fuel system, Tilton clutch, Holley 1 7/8 shorties, Technostalgia tail lights,Oracle, Aeroforce, MGW shifter,Flowmaster, Pegasus subframe bushings,BMR trailing & toe arms,Z28 UCA bushings,Zl1 rear sway bar,Prothane,BMR,Goodridge brake lines,Ridetech HQ coilovers,3.91,Trutrac,billet caps,DSS axles,HE offest,built TR6060,1LE diffuser,Havoc spoiler,SSclones,20in MRR 017, Pirelli P Zero, Nitto NT555RII

More to come.
Black_SS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 10:56 AM   #17
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_SS10 View Post
That is what my though process is. Learn on the street tires then progress to the DR. I am looking into the e-brake load, sounds interesting. How exactly is it done?
E-brake preload is pretty simple. Here is how I do it. I roll into the pre-stage beam on the foot-brake like normal and stop the car there. Then I bring the e-brake on gently till I feel the slack in the cable taken up, but not to the point where it would hold the car very much, just a touch of drag. Throughout this whole process I'm keeping my thumb firmly on the release button, I don't want the e-brake sticking on.

When I'm ready to light the stage beam I will gently let the clutch out till it just starts to drag - and that is enough to just inch the car into the stage beam. As soon as the stage beam lights I step on the clutch and pull firmly on the e-brake to stop the car rolling further. Then I bring the car up to launch rpm. When the tree starts to drop (standard tree - with a pro tree would be a little different) I release the clutch just enough to feel/hear the engine drag just a touch against the clutch. When I'm ready to leave I make my clutch release as I simultaneously release the e-brake.

It's been my experience that this really helps the car leave a little more solidly, and reduces wheel hop. You're basically "taking the slack" out of everything - most specifically all of the bushings and mounts in the driveline. When you launch with the car "loaded" like that, you're not shocking those components, and then having them spring back, creating wheel hop, or breakage.

I posted a video earlier in this thread - you can see me using the e-brake launch technique there. Give it a try a few times on the street to get familiar, but it really is pretty easy.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:39 AM   #18
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
E-brake preload is pretty simple. Here is how I do it. I roll into the pre-stage beam on the foot-brake like normal and stop the car there. Then I bring the e-brake on gently till I feel the slack in the cable taken up, but not to the point where it would hold the car very much, just a touch of drag. Throughout this whole process I'm keeping my thumb firmly on the release button, I don't want the e-brake sticking on.

When I'm ready to light the stage beam I will gently let the clutch out till it just starts to drag - and that is enough to just inch the car into the stage beam. As soon as the stage beam lights I step on the clutch and pull firmly on the e-brake to stop the car rolling further. Then I bring the car up to launch rpm. When the tree starts to drop (standard tree - with a pro tree would be a little different) I release the clutch just enough to feel/hear the engine drag just a touch against the clutch. When I'm ready to leave I make my clutch release as I simultaneously release the e-brake.

It's been my experience that this really helps the car leave a little more solidly, and reduces wheel hop. You're basically "taking the slack" out of everything - most specifically all of the bushings and mounts in the driveline. When you launch with the car "loaded" like that, you're not shocking those components, and then having them spring back, creating wheel hop, or breakage.

I posted a video earlier in this thread - you can see me using the e-brake launch technique there. Give it a try a few times on the street to get familiar, but it really is pretty easy.
Sounds great. Thank you much for taking the time to explain the process. I will try this out tomorrow when I am at the track. Sounds simple, maybe just work on timing the clutch and e-brake release.
TMS 427, Dart iron Block, Forged assembly, Frankenstien heads, AGP TT 62/62 BB turbo's, AGP/Fore triple fuel system, Tilton clutch, Holley 1 7/8 shorties, Technostalgia tail lights,Oracle, Aeroforce, MGW shifter,Flowmaster, Pegasus subframe bushings,BMR trailing & toe arms,Z28 UCA bushings,Zl1 rear sway bar,Prothane,BMR,Goodridge brake lines,Ridetech HQ coilovers,3.91,Trutrac,billet caps,DSS axles,HE offest,built TR6060,1LE diffuser,Havoc spoiler,SSclones,20in MRR 017, Pirelli P Zero, Nitto NT555RII

More to come.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:57 AM   #19
blufin

Drives: Fire Engine
Alright, I get that doing the preload e brake thing can help take the shock out of the driveline, but I find it very hard to believe that it is a key component to improve your 60'. Yes, wheel hop will kill your short time but a good launch technique along with suspension parts will do the same at eliminating it.
For the average /novice drag racer, this added step of the e brake only complicates an already difficult process. Seat time and common sense are invaluable in launching an M6. If you feel wheel hop, get off the throttle. Folks who stay in it break parts. Drag racing is an accepted risk of breaking parts. Simple as that. People have broken half shafts on the street with stock power. I knew every time I went to the track there was a chance of getting a tow truck ride home, but after hundreds of passes, I never broke.
If people really wanna do this e brake thing for peace of mind, I understand. But please know that if you're a novice, this will probably complicate things.
Sold
blufin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 12:06 PM   #20
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by blufin View Post
Alright, I get that doing the preload e brake thing can help take the shock out of the driveline, but I find it very hard to believe that it is a key component to improve your 60'. Yes, wheel hop will kill your short time but a good launch technique along with suspension parts will do the same at eliminating it.
For the average /novice drag racer, this added step of the e brake only complicates an already difficult process. Seat time and common sense are invaluable in launching an M6. If you feel wheel hop, get off the throttle. Folks who stay in it break parts. Drag racing is an accepted risk of breaking parts. Simple as that. People have broken half shafts on the street with stock power. I knew every time I went to the track there was a chance of getting a tow truck ride home, but after hundreds of passes, I never broke.
If people really wanna do this e brake thing for peace of mind, I understand. But please know that if you're a novice, this will probably complicate things.
It's really very simple. Whether or not someone decides to use it is up to them. If its too much for them to process, obviously they shouldn't. If it does nothing to help them, obviously they shouldn't. If they have an M6 car with OE cradle and diff bushings, they should at least consider it for the safety margin, as well as firming up their launch.
Old 06-30-2017, 01:16 PM   #21
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Grip it and rip it.
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 01:29 PM   #22
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

I really just need to get my 60 foot down. That is what is killing my ETA. Hopefully I can go to the track tonight. I am gonna try and launch at around 4-4.5k and see what that does.

More to come.
Old 06-30-2017, 04:09 PM   #23
blufin

Drives: Fire Engine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_SS10 View Post
I really just need to get my 60 foot down. That is what is killing my ETA. Hopefully I can go to the track tonight. I am gonna try and launch at around 4-4.5k and see what that does.
What track?
Sold
blufin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 05:21 PM   #24
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by blufin View Post
What track?
Immokalee Raceway.

More to come.
Old 06-30-2017, 08:57 PM   #25
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Didnt go tonight due to rain.

More to come.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:58 PM   #26
Teakwo23

Drives: 2014 ZL1 M6
Any new runs?
Teakwo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:09 PM   #27
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
lol bro you launch at that rpm on street tires, as Cheech and Chong said "Up in smoke"..save that rpm for dr's...lower psi in stock tires to 20-24psi...I do a 2nd gear burn out up to the lights...it's all about learnin the slip at about 3k...good luck...

Old 07-08-2017, 07:10 AM   #28
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
^I hope you beat that Fox body Rustang.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote