Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 04-08-2013, 07:29 PM   #1
velocity149

Drives: 2014 2SS RS LS3
"Kids" having powerful cars

Ok, so a lot of people on this site seem to think that kids (early drivers) should not be able to drive a powerful car like the Camaro. There are alot of stories about kids getting into accidents and dying or killing their passengers, or other drivers. Here is what I think:
Saying that "kids" should to have the opportunity to drive these cars, is an unfair statement. I personally bought my car after my father passed away. I was 18 Years old, and am still paying for my car by myself. I am a very responsible driver, like a lot of other "kids" out there. The reason kids are always in the news, is for that exact reason: Kid + Nice Car + Crash = News. Any person is capable of driving in a manner that endangers lives, and even reading on these forums, "4 cylinders is enough for kids" comes up enough. All I am trying to say, is if a "kid" can legitimatly buy his/her own car and be a safe, proud owner of it, than it should be accepted.

Thank our veterans for peace today, Support our troops for peace tomorrow. RIP Dad, 1962-2012 SYOTOS
velocity149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:38 PM   #2

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Not sure what your issue is, exactly....Buy whatever you want, and drive whatever you want, as long as it's legal...A few posts seen here isn't going to change any legal restrictions any time soon....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:50 PM   #3
SS_Killer

Drives: 2010LSM6
Grew up quick

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocity149 View Post
Ok, so a lot of people on this site seem to think that kids (early drivers) should not be able to drive a powerful car like the Camaro. There are alot of stories about kids getting into accidents and dying or killing their passengers, or other drivers. Here is what I think:
Saying that "kids" should to have the opportunity to drive these cars, is an unfair statement. I personally bought my car after my father passed away. I was 18 Years old, and am still paying for my car by myself. I am a very responsible driver, like a lot of other "kids" out there. The reason kids are always in the news, is for that exact reason: Kid + Nice Car + Crash = News. Any person is capable of driving in a manner that endangers lives, and even reading on these forums, "4 cylinders is enough for kids" comes up enough. All I am trying to say, is if a "kid" can legitimatly buy his/her own car and be a safe, proud owner of it, than it should be accepted.
Some kids do OK. The last accident involving my care in motion was when I was 17 years old. Let's see. That was around 1979, maybe '80. (Backing into a friend's trash can in the dark last year does not count.)

First car was a '69 Camaro. A Frankenstein monster, really. Three on the floor and a slightly built 327 small block. Too bad it was stolen about 6 mo. after I got it.

A few since then were a '85 Shelby Charger, '87 Shelby Daytona. '92 Prelude Si. BTW, I traded my '05 AVEO for the '10 LS you see below. Never borrowed a dime from anybody except the bank.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:51 PM   #4
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
All in how the "kid" has been raised and taught to drive. My daughters were drag racng at 15 and running 7 seconds in the 1/4 mile by age 16.

No issues on the street running any of our 11-10 second vettes, etc. but I see idiots kill themselves all the time in a car they have never been taught to respect.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:53 PM   #5
sanjosebmx

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green
When I was in High School, I had a 72 Chevelle and had it doing high 12's at Baylands.. raced out there all the time "High School Nights"..

"kids" and fast cars have been around for a long time, before Camaro's even ..just don't text and drive please!
sanjosebmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:56 PM   #6
Ieatfordsforlunch

Drives: 2008 colorado
What's to stop a kid from getting a Honda and building it up to a ricer? There just as likely to get in an accident as a kid who buys a camaro right? People just see the camaro as a race car and should not be for kids, when in fact if there going to race and be stupid it doesn't matter the vehicle there still going to do it. I see people in trucks and mini vans drive stupid all the time.
Ieatfordsforlunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:11 PM   #7
Kgarner1624

Drives: 13' BRM ZL1 A6
i agree, im just a "kid" to most and get that alot. it gets old..
Kgarner1624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:13 PM   #8
Mike-D
HTFU

Drives: 2SS/RS
Looking back I feel that I was extremely responsible for my age back then. But if my parents were to give me a 426 hp SS there is no doubt I would have done some stupid stuff for sure.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:14 PM   #9
CyberPunk223
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 LS Camaro
no, Dumb spoiled kids + rich dumb yuppi idiot parents + fast cars = likely disaster. many adults have this illusion that they are living in a Disneyland cartoon and don't have a lick of usable logic.
CyberPunk223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:15 PM   #10
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
I had a '68 SS Camaro in 1975 at the age of 17. It had a 375HP 396 that anyone that knows Chevy engines form the late '60s can tell you they had a lot more power than they were rated. Looking back it's a wonder I didn't kill myself or anyone else. Did a lot of crazy things and got away with it. We didn't even wear seatbelts back then.

Anyone is entitled to drive what they want as long as they are responsible. Or lucky like I was.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:18 PM   #11
Sword5

Drives: 2010 2SS
Kids, as well as the older crowd can be accused of driving dangerously at times. Some people never grow up or use good judgment while behind the wheel of a vehicle. Any vehicle is dangerous not just the "powerful" ones. All in how's it's operated.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:32 PM   #12
trewyn15

Drives: 2004 Monte Carlo LS
No offense but you drive an LT, it's a good amount of power but not a ton.

I agree though, irresponsible younger people should not drive sports cars due to inexperience and just plain showing off. It's not a good idea
Old 04-08-2013, 08:59 PM   #13
driyac

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by trewyn15 View Post
No offense but you drive an LT, it's a good amount of power but not a ton.

I agree though, irresponsible younger people should not drive sports cars due to inexperience and just plain showing off. It's not a good idea

300+ horsepower is what the last generation had for a v8. I would say that is a good amount of power.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:07 PM   #14
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
I don't see what's wrong with it as long as they know how to drive. If they get the car because they're a performance enthusiast, and they look to race it (on track), then I'm okay with it. If they get it because they think it looks cool and they want to show off, then I'm not okay with it.
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote