Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-08-2012, 10:11 AM   #43
2L82RUN

Drives: ABM SS/RS
Yeah, its an LS3. The best pic of the cutouts is on the streetfire link. At 45 secs into the video it shows a good view of the cutouts and how they are installed.
2L82RUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:13 AM   #44
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post

Problem is my collectors from the headers go back about 8 inches further than the ones that were on Emmas car.:
I'm not sure where you got that idea...

I had LTs on the car when the cutouts were on it.

The pic I shared with you is NOT my car. It's Ben's car with my old exhaust (with cutouts) on it.

The cutouts just replace the section with the cats.

BTW, I can almost guarantee those Noweeds will "fit" your car, but your lowered car with auto tranny will mean they'll give you clearance issues. I think I'm done beating this into the ground. Does Bonnie ever refer to you as being stubborn? Just curious. I really hope they Noweeds work for you.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:21 AM   #45
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
you do realize that I'm telling you to install them yourself right?

and if the Jegs cutouts fit and work and you have them in your possession now and don't have to wait 3 weeks to get them... don't you think its the perfect way to go?
I don't have a welder?

Or the ability to weld for that matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2L82RUN View Post
Yeah, its an LS3. The best pic of the cutouts is on the streetfire link. At 45 secs into the video it shows a good view of the cutouts and how they are installed.
Ok. I'll check it out. I only wathced the begging and end. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
I'm not sure where you got that idea...

I had LTs on the car when the cutouts were on it.

The pic I shared with you is NOT my car. It's Ben's car with my old exhaust (with cutouts) on it.

The cutouts just replace the section with the cats.

BTW, I can almost guarantee those Noweeds will "fit" your car, but your lowered car with auto tranny will mean they'll give you clearance issues. I think I'm done beating this into the ground. Does Bonnie ever refer to you as being stubborn? Just curious. I really hope they Noweeds work for you.
Right. It came off your car. Borla headers go all the way back where cat's would be. So Borla headers collectors go back much further than other headers. Because I know that system was on your car, then I kow you couldn't have had Borla headers. And so I know my collectors came back much further than yours did.

Basically, Borla headers take up the space where the cats would be by sending the primaries back further. And so the collector is back about 8 inches further.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:28 AM   #46
Darth_Emma

Borla headers don't work with high-flow cats? Interesting. I didn't realize that.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:33 AM   #47
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
I don't have a welder?

Or the ability to weld for that matter.
Who said anything about welding? you have exhaust clamps do you not? the way I'm describing would be completely clamped on for easy removability on your part if need be. if you wanted to get it welded up later down the road... go for it.

Man, I'm telling you...just swing by the house this weekend.

Quote:
Right. It came off your car. Borla headers go all the way back where cat's would be. So Borla headers collectors go back much further than other headers. Because I know that system was on your car, then I kow you couldn't have had Borla headers. And so I know my collectors came back much further than yours did.

Basically, Borla headers take up the space where the cats would be by sending the primaries back further. And so the collector is back about 8 inches further.
so cut off more from the headers...

You don't have a bolt up flange that you have to worry about right? so just trim till it fits. just stay away from the o2 sensor. and like I said in the other thread (I should merge these two at this point), if need be, cut another section out of the straight pipe in the driveshaft tunnel and scoot the whole system back another inch or so to give you extra room.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:46 AM   #48
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Borla headers don't work with high-flow cats? Interesting. I didn't realize that.
Sure they do. But you won't be putting cut-outs right there if you use them. THe high flow cats would be right there where you had the cut-outs. You'd have to move the cut-outs back further.

Look at the pics. You can see how much further the Borla collectors are.

Quote:
Who said anything about welding? you have exhaust clamps do you not? the way I'm describing would be completely clamped on for easy removability on your part if need be. if you wanted to get it welded up later down the road... go for it.
Ther is no section on my exhaust that has room for a 'Y' diverter. Even the guy at the muffler shop said that. Literally there is no 10" section of that exhaust that doesn't bend. :(

Quote:
Man, I'm telling you...just swing by the house this weekend.
Going to get paint this weekend in J-Ville. LOL
Quote:
so cut off more from the headers...
REALLY don't want to cut my headers. But we'll see.

Quote:
You don't have a bolt up flange that you have to worry about right? so just trim till it fits. just stay away from the o2 sensor. and like I said in the other thread (I should merge these two at this point), if need be, cut another section out of the straight pipe in the driveshaft tunnel and scoot the whole system back another inch or so to give you extra room.
As the system rises and falls in the center could become a pain to cut out sections. I'll have to look at it.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:06 AM   #49
Darth_Emma

Quote:
Sure they do. But you won't be putting cut-outs right there if you use them. THe high flow cats would be right there where you had the cut-outs. You'd have to move the cut-outs back further.

Look at the pics. You can see how much further the Borla collectors are.
Umm... sorry to be a moron, but which pics? I thought LT headers were all the same length... I didn't realize Borla's headers were longer than Kooks. I thought they all made them the same length so that they'd all work with high-flow cats (or off road pipes) and catback exhaust.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:08 AM   #50
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Ther is no section on my exhaust that has room for a 'Y' diverter. Even the guy at the muffler shop said that. Literally there is no 10" section of that exhaust that doesn't bend. :(
So make a 10" section. or shorten the cutout Y-pipe and the exhaust both to allow it to fit.

Going to get paint this weekend in J-Ville. LOL
REALLY don't want to cut my headers. But we'll see.
I'm not talking about chopping it off at the collector, I'm talking about an inch or two past the o2 sensor.

As the system rises and falls in the center could become a pain to cut out sections. I'll have to look at it.
nah. which catback do you have?

if you have the regular X-pipe version, you should be able to cut a few inches off the "S" pipes on the back side and shorten them up to allow more room.

if you have the ATAK version, you should be able to knock out a section of the straight pipes that run down the driveshaft tunnel.
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 03-08-2012, 11:10 AM   #51
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Umm... sorry to be a moron, but which pics? I thought LT headers were all the same length... I didn't realize Borla's headers were longer than Kooks. I thought they all made them the same length so that they'd all work with high-flow cats (or off road pipes) and catback exhaust.
nope. they make them different lengths (and back in 4th gen days, with different mating flanges, some with slip fit connectors, others with a 3 bolt flange, others with the 2 bolt bell-clamp connector).

why?

most will say that they tuned theirs to make more power that way, really it comes down to their personal preference... that and it "coerces" the buyer to buy the matching catback system from the same vendor...

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 03-08-2012, 11:13 AM   #52
Darth_Emma

Quote:
nope. they make them different lengths (and back in 4th gen days, with different mating flanges, some with slip fit connectors, others with a 3 bolt flange, others with the 2 bolt bell-clamp connector).

why?

most will say that they tuned theirs to make more power that way, really it comes down to their personal preference... that and it "coerces" the buyer to buy the matching catback system from the same vendor...
Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification. I've learned something new (once again) from the good folks at C5!
Old 03-08-2012, 11:18 AM   #53
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification. I've learned something new (once again) from the good folks at C5!
Basically think about your old headers stopping short leaving room for cats. High flows or regualr, and the Borla headers not stopping short to leave room but stretching the primaries back further where there is no room for regular cats but maybe high flow cats.

Rigth there where your cutouts were, and are on your friends car, is where some high flow cats would go.

Quote:
nah. which catback do you have?
I have the X pipe version.

Name:  sdfds.png
Views: 445
Size:  449.2 KB
Old 03-08-2012, 12:11 PM   #54
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Thats what I'm here for.
Quote:
Basically think about your old headers stopping short leaving room for cats. High flows or regualr, and the Borla headers not stopping short to leave room but stretching the primaries back further where there is no room for regular cats but maybe high flow cats.

Rigth there where your cutouts were, and are on your friends car, is where some high flow cats would go.

I have the X pipe version.

Attachment 345099
1st pic... areas where material can be removed (not including area on headers)

2nd pic... See what I did there?
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 03-08-2012, 12:17 PM   #55
Darth_Emma

Quote:
Thats what I'm here for.

You Photo-chopped it!
Old 03-08-2012, 12:35 PM   #56
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:

Yes. I knew what you meant. But again, cost goes way up and I get Larry the cable guy working on it.

Plus, what is being accomplished? The tranny brace will still be in the way I think. What I need is to be able to weld in the Y pipe leaving room to go in before the tranny brace.

Right?