Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 09-19-2013, 10:19 AM   #673
ClawSS
High-tech Redneck

Drives: '10 CGM SS, '02 2500HD, '09 300SRT8
sorry to bring back this Zombie thread, but doing a search as to why I had wheel weights on my calipers...I wanted to say to davidcroft...

Yes, we are....some with only 18k miles on them.

And since I put it back on top, will mikethepowdercoater just pull those weights when / if I send them in as cores for the next guy assuming they are there for pad squeal? Secondly, if I replace pads with Hawk HPS, I assume the squeal goes away with fresh powdercoated calipers and the new pads?

2010 CGM L99 2SS/RS - GPI SS3 VVT, BTR DoD Delete, Circle D 4c, BTR springs, Katech C5R Timing Chain, MRR-228 315/275, CAI, Elite catch-can, TSP 1 7/8" Headers + offroad pipes, Magnaflow 3", Pfadt springs, BMR LCAs, toelinks, trailing arms, cradle bushings, & sway bars w/ endlinks, Vitesse paddles, heritage grille, and an eBay splitter. Power upgrades by Race Proven Perf.; Tuning by ShorTuning.
ClawSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:12 AM   #674
DandDC09

Drives: '10 2LT/RS, '13 Malibu
Old 09-19-2013, 12:01 PM   #675
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
The four pot fronts were added to the Camaro late in the game. Brembo and GM both felt they had suffcient experience with the brakes and were confident the combination would present no unusual issues. They wre about 98% correct. The brakes and pads are among the best combination for street and track available. Unfortunately, there is a squeal than many Camaro owners found unacceptable. The fix is to add mass to the caliper. The stick on wheel weights add mass and reduce the noise. The roller skates work the same way.

If cosmetically the weights of skates bother you, remove them.

What you should not do iss change from the excellent OEM brake pads to get less dust or less noise. Unless you are changing your brake pads to a more aggressive, more brake dust and more squeal track oriented pad you are making a mistake.

Brake dust is the combination of metal from the rotor and pad material worn away by the friction of stopping your car. If you install a pad that makes less dust, you installed a pad with less friction. Less friction means you have compromised your braking. Your brake no longer work as well as they did from the factory. Stay with the OEM brake pad.

Brake squeal is the result of two hard surfaces rubbing against each other. To reduce the squeal the only option is to install a softer pad. Softer pads generate less noise because they produce less friction. Go to any local autocross or road course and listen to the brakes squeal. You'll find true enthusiasts that understand what makes for good braking. The squeal from their brakes tells all those in the know that this is a serious car, with serious brakes and a serious owner.

Stop complaining and thank The Camaro TEAM for putting a good set of brakes and pads on the muscle car we love.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:35 PM   #676
ClawSS
High-tech Redneck

Thank you for your information. I can tell that you have said that many times to those who did not know and thusly may have developed a slight tone to the answer. I am appreciative of the time it took you to type that out, but would have appreciated the courtesy of recognizing my post count and my possible ignorance of the situation as it concerns the Gen5 camaro. I was able to surmise the crux of the issue and develop my own conclusions through my use of search (the old post this is).

Even tho the purpose of the resurrection was to answer the tongue-in-cheek question regarding people still buying early build '10 models.

I did inquire about the removal of said weights by the powdercoater which was not directly answered but more inferred that if I was so inclined, feel free. I got that and figured I may just to help HIM out since he wouldn't send me any god-awful thing like that setup back to me.

I don't think I mentioned brake dust, but once again I would assume your answer is ingrained and would assume that I as a "noob" would make this a priority worthy of response. While it is an annoyance, weekly baths pretty much take care of that as it has with my Brembos on the SRT8, the Baer kit on my old TBSS, as well as my Porsche kit installed on the 96 Impala SS.

None of those installs or kits have resorted to installing weights, either they being stickon or in the form of a "roller skate".

Once again, thank you.

PS, it's a pony-car. My 1967 GTO conv. is a muscle car...and it runs on 4-wheel drums.

2010 CGM L99 2SS/RS - GPI SS3 VVT, BTR DoD Delete, Circle D 4c, BTR springs, Katech C5R Timing Chain, MRR-228 315/275, CAI, Elite catch-can, TSP 1 7/8" Headers + offroad pipes, Magnaflow 3", Pfadt springs, BMR LCAs, toelinks, trailing arms, cradle bushings, & sway bars w/ endlinks, Vitesse paddles, heritage grille, and an eBay splitter. Power upgrades by Race Proven Perf.; Tuning by ShorTuning.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:47 PM   #677
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClawSS View Post
Thank you for your information. I can tell that you have said that many times to those who did not know and thusly may have developed a slight tone to the answer. I am appreciative of the time it took you to type that out, but would have appreciated the courtesy of recognizing my post count and my possible ignorance of the situation as it concerns the Gen5 camaro. I was able to surmise the crux of the issue and develop my own conclusions through my use of search (the old post this is).

Even tho the purpose of the resurrection was to answer the tongue-in-cheek question regarding people still buying early build '10 models.

I did inquire about the removal of said weights by the powdercoater which was not directly answered but more inferred that if I was so inclined, feel free. I got that and figured I may just to help HIM out since he wouldn't send me any god-awful thing like that setup back to me.

I don't think I mentioned brake dust, but once again I would assume your answer is ingrained and would assume that I as a "noob" would make this a priority worthy of response. While it is an annoyance, weekly baths pretty much take care of that as it has with my Brembos on the SRT8, my old TBSS retrofit, as well as my Porsche kit installed on the 96 Impala SS.

None of those installs or kits have resorted to installing weights, either they being stickon or in the form of a "roller skate".

Once again, thank you.

PS, it's a pony-car. My 1967 GTO conv. is a muscle car...and it runs on 4-wheel drums.
I am weary of this discussion, but in no way did I intend to aim my frustrations with complaints about brake dust and pad squeal at you personally.

The permanent fix for the Camaro is to redesign the caliper casting to include more mass in the body eliminating the need for stick on weight and skates.

The 1967 GTO is my favorite. At the GTOAAs we sponsored the autocross a number of years ago. A 67 owner absolutely ragged his pristine 67 on course all day long. He popped the badge behind the left front wheel off on one turn and even that didn't diminish his permagrin.

Welcome to C5. It is a great community. I hope you can make Camaro5FEST in Houston, Texas in May.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:21 PM   #678
ClawSS
High-tech Redneck

No worries, I sensed it and understood. I will handle it appropriately as I do not have roller skates but also assume I don't need them either.

That GTO driver is having a ball, the car, not so much.

Our GTO is in a state of being painted from a frame-off resto. Family car bought by my father-in-law in 66 before shipping out to Vietnam. Here she is in my garage being disassembled:

And she is heading to paint this week once mated back up with the powdercoated frame:

Old 09-19-2013, 02:27 PM   #679
JusticePete

Garage, paint booth and another GTO???
Old 09-19-2013, 02:35 PM   #680
ClawSS
High-tech Redneck

It did read that way, didn't it. Sorry, but no the last shot was at Classic Pontiac Rescue in Honea Path, SC. They are assisting in the restoration. I hope, hope, hope that she becomes the magazine car that High Perf. Pontiac mag is looking for during their article on this shop in a few months.

Old 09-19-2013, 02:37 PM   #681
JusticePete

That would be very cool. I had my personal 04 wide-body GTO on the cover of Pontiac Enthusiast way back when.