Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Garage / Tools Discussions

Old 06-06-2019, 02:51 PM   #1
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Garage Options / Choices

This forum doesn't get much traffic, but this post doesn't logically fit anywhere else.

So I'm at something of a cross-roads with my wife. A few years ago we moved into and then renovated our apartment into her dream space. She doesn't want a house, not now, not ever. The building we're in has outdoor parking.

I want a garage, a real garage. Big enough for a vehicle, 2-post lift, air setup, tools, cabinets, 2 work benches, beer fridge, and possibly tall enough to have a second level big enough for a desk, TV, and 8-ft pool table.

I looked at buying an existing commercial garage in my area that's out of business, but nothing is close enough where I could just pop over there in 5 or 10 minutes, and anything remotely inexpensive (and by inexpensive I mean under half a million) is in an area so bad I couldn't keep anything in it.

So then I started looking at small plots of land in my area. Something just big enough for said garage. Unfortunately, anything flat is going for $200K and has no structure on it at all, so I'm going to have to sink at least another $100K into it for the building, electrical, getting sewer run, getting water run, gas for heat, etc. Probably more. And the taxes on even a .1 acre lot in my area run $10K a year, so the wife's not going to like that idea.

Anyone else have any ideas? Maybe there's something I'm missing out there. I don't know what, but I'm at wits end here and throwing out a hail Mary.
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 02:52 PM   #2
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
Divorce?
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 03:15 PM   #3
Billy10mm

Two kids.

That said, I'm thinking about it. We're moving in different directions, she wants to move into NYC, I want to move as far away from it as physically possible. I explained to her all of this, and she says that it sounds like I want to trade her for a house. Then reminds me how I won't get my dream garage when I'm paying out half my income in alimony and child support. As nasty as that is, she's right.

We had had this plan to buy a second home, a weekend home, in Rhode Island (in any area we both like) with permission to build my garage. And I was excited at first, but the more I thought about it, the less sense it made. I work in NYC, so by the time I get home on a Friday, pack up, have dinner, and get out there, Friday is gone. Saturday maybe I get a whole day to work on something, but I can't have a project last more than a day because I'll have to drive the car back home to NY on Sunday. Maybe I buy a cheap family car and leave it out in RI so I can drive it home if whatever project I'm doing on my car is going to take a while. But that's another problem. Now a 4 day project takes 4 weeks (1 working day per week). And just "popping into the garage" to put on the autocross tires for tomorrow's autocross becomes not possible. And my autocross club and gun range (two favored hobbies of mine) are all here in NY and I'm going to be RI on weekends. All in all, this plan doesn't work.

So wondering if there's any other ideas. F'ing garage-share. AirBnB-Garage. I don't know. Hoping something is out there for car guys who live in/near major cities that I'm just not familiar with.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:57 PM   #4
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
Move to TX before getting a divorce, no alimony state.
Or move to CO, not a community property state.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 05:51 PM   #5
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
Start dragging her to some open houses on the weekend.
Convince her and get serious on buying her dream house/your dream garage.
Its not like rent will ever go down and thats money down the drain.
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 07:28 PM   #6
SS Performance

Drives: 02 Camaro B4C
You might look into a storage unit. Some of them are more geared to commercial use. A 4 post lift doesn't require drilling into the floor.

Good luck
Craig

1969 Camaro SS
1970 Camaro SS
2002 Camaro B4C
2014 Camaro SS Dedicated Track Car
2015 Camaro 1SS 1LE
2008 HHR SS
1996 Silverado Crew Cab Long Bed Dual Rear Wheel
SS Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:03 AM   #7
Billy10mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstuntman View Post
Start dragging her to some open houses on the weekend.
Convince her and get serious on buying her dream house/your dream garage.
Its not like rent will ever go down and thats money down the drain.
We're not renting. We own our apartment. I'm going to start looking for plots of land near me, but this is easily going to get deep into the 6 figures. Found a .10 acre plot about 5 minutes from my house that needs to be leveled and isn't in very nice area and they want $165K for the plot alone.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:24 AM   #8
KenKat

Drives: 2014 2LT RS Summit White
Can you rent a garage space from a long term storage place? Some around here offer them.
KenKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 04:07 PM   #9
Billy10mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenKat View Post
Can you rent a garage space from a long term storage place? Some around here offer them.
If I rent, I don't get to do what I want to do. Lift, second floor with pool table, cabinets, benches, lights. I need to own this or the point is lost.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:56 PM   #10
Windycity

Drives: Yellow 1le
Is there any car condos in your area? That would be perfect for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 01:49 PM   #11
Billy10mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windycity View Post
Is there any car condos in your area? That would be perfect for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No unfortunately.
Old 06-14-2019, 03:51 AM   #12
Nb1081

Drives: 10 2ss/rs
I got 16 acres you can build on as long as i get 1lift bay to use just might b a lil cruise from where ever in ny hartsdale is
Old 06-15-2019, 11:53 AM   #13
Roader

Drives: Camaro
I didn’t know you could own your apartment. Sorry, all I took form this thread
Roader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 06:44 AM   #14
Ajax2112

Drives: ZL1
Do your kids go to the local public schools? If that’s the case just tell her you want to move out of Greenburgh for better schools. I believe I have seen your car parked in the lot of the co ops just north of 4 corners. If she really wants to stay in the area I have a house for sale with a three car garage and 11 foot ceilings. I bet she would fall in love with the house. Just shy of an acre, which is very rare for this area.

Also check out the Hot Rod hotel in Buchanan. Might be an option.
Ajax2112 is offline   Reply With Quote