Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-17-2015, 01:12 PM   #71
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILBMF View Post
1st post, not a brand loyalist. Looking to buy another car by the end of the year. Need one that I can mainly keep stock other than CAI, tune and maybe exhaust. Need a car we can just jump in and go without worrying about rain with drag radials like my other 2 cars.

Tested a Premium GT and a PP Premium GT yesterday and plan on trying out a SS maybe this week. I actually preferred the non PP GT due to the transmission gearing. It had 3.31 gears and the PP car had 3.73's. Overall I was very impressed with the cars inside and out. The engine really felt strong and really wakes up and loves to rev, pulls hard to redline. Interior was better than I expected, 12 speaker sound system thumped pretty good. Visibility was pretty good from all angles and I'd say it's a well balanced car. Totally different animal than my '06 GT.

Has anybody here driven a '16 SS yet? What I'm mainly interested in is visibility compared to my '11 SS which pretty much sucks. I know the car will perform well and the ride will be stiffer than the stang. Gonna pull the trigger here soon, just need to drive the Chevy and looking for some input.

I think you will need to drive both. looks wise I like the GT better.

performance wise the SS with mag ride and 8 speed auto will really be leaps and bounds better acceleration and handling I think but will be very expensive for a 2ss with options.

mustang pro's
1. looks IMO
2. interior is nice
3. mods easy (cerntri kit and or cobra jet swap wakes this car up a lot)

con's
1. MT-82 (not my fav gearbox)
2. gained weight
3. only 6 speed auto option.

Camaro pro's (on paper have not driven one)
1. performance (cars seem to do well all around)
2. Mag ride is an option
3. tremec gearbox and 8 speed auto option

con's
1. Looks to me ( this is completely subjective but I like the SS less 15 mustang, 5ht gen zl1, 5th gen z28)
2. price once optioned a 2ss can hit 45k real quick the only reason I bring it up is 45k 50k buys a tone of cool cars now a days.

I think a person could be happy with either car and you should probably just buy the one that appeals to you more.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 07:07 PM   #72
tuckermaclain

Drives: 2016 Cadillac ATS-V coupe
As far as performance goes, the SS really owns the Stang. If that doesn't matter to you, just get what you like. They're both pretty good. The visibility out of the Stang is better. This is kinda nice. You can always get the GT350 if the bragging rights matter--if you can find one. Then next year you'll have to deal with the Z28/ZL1--which will more affordable than the Fords if history serves us.

Me, I got the ATS-V. Still waiting on it to be built. This will be fine me now. Maybe a ZL1 will be in my future. I'm a little older than you (54), and I think the days of huge V-8s with sticks are numbered. Maybe that will be my last good car.
tuckermaclain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 07:51 PM   #73
ILBMF

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS '06 Mustang GT
The last couple of posts make a lot of sense. I pretty much am sure I like the looks of the Mustang better, but need to see the SS up close in person. Performance wise they are not that far apart especially since I am an experienced mechanic and have my own shop and can mod until my heart's content. I could see doing a few suspension mods, CAI, tune, exhaust or maybe a twin screw or TVS roots blower, but I am trying keep it simple on this one.

I am positive I will like the Chevy from what I see and hear so far. The question is, will I like it as much as I do the new stang because I really do like it quite a bit? Every year or 2 something better always comes out and I'm good with that. It's going to come down to what I'd rather drive for the purpose this car will have. Like I said, if I want to rip some asphalt, my blown stroker Mustang is the ticket and I love that car.

I appreciate all the responses and I will be looking to find an SS Camaro to test drive immediately. I know I ''lean Ford'' these days especially since the GM bailout, but I respect the product and have since my 302 Z/28. I have my dad's '66 427 Stingray coming to my shop for me to go over everything before paint and I'm fired up about that. That car will be mine when my pops is gone, hopefully a long time from now, but it is going to be mine. I'm just glad we are talking about such high performing cars because things really sucked since the 70's and it's better than ever now!
ILBMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:50 AM   #74
High Magnitude

Drives: 2014 2LT Camaro
If you have a little extra money, Camaro. If not get a really nice used GT and spend leftovers on mods
Old 11-19-2015, 09:03 PM   #75
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILBMF View Post
The last couple of posts make a lot of sense. I pretty much am sure I like the looks of the Mustang better, but need to see the SS up close in person. Performance wise they are not that far apart especially since I am an experienced mechanic and have my own shop and can mod until my heart's content. I could see doing a few suspension mods, CAI, tune, exhaust or maybe a twin screw or TVS roots blower, but I am trying keep it simple on this one.

I am positive I will like the Chevy from what I see and hear so far. The question is, will I like it as much as I do the new stang because I really do like it quite a bit? Every year or 2 something better always comes out and I'm good with that. It's going to come down to what I'd rather drive for the purpose this car will have. Like I said, if I want to rip some asphalt, my blown stroker Mustang is the ticket and I love that car.

I appreciate all the responses and I will be looking to find an SS Camaro to test drive immediately. I know I ''lean Ford'' these days especially since the GM bailout, but I respect the product and have since my 302 Z/28. I have my dad's '66 427 Stingray coming to my shop for me to go over everything before paint and I'm fired up about that. That car will be mine when my pops is gone, hopefully a long time from now, but it is going to be mine. I'm just glad we are talking about such high performing cars because things really sucked since the 70's and it's better than ever now!
I don't know if you have seen what they are doing with the team beefcake centri kits on the 2015+ 5.0's but it crazy. guys with auto's are running like 10.5's at 136 on drag radial.

My jaw hit the floor when I saw some of the times for minimal mods.

that being said all of these cars get fast quick anymore. they start in the 12's, run 11's on tire easy as pie. dip 10's for 6-7k in mods.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:05 AM   #76
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
I don't know if you have seen what they are doing with the team beefcake centri kits on the 2015+ 5.0's but it crazy. guys with auto's are running like 10.5's at 136 on drag radial.
Meh, blowers don't impress me really, maybe I'm too old school. For the close to 10 grand it costs with all supporting mods, it damn well better run the number. But I prefer to get my times other ways, with less strain on the engine. My current '11 5.0 runs very low 11's, with an over 4000 pound race weight with just a good tune, converter, cat deletes, intake, suspension mods and a tire. With weight reduction, it would dip into the 10's. But I drive it too much to do that. I have a few grand into it, as oppose to near 10 grand, and I don't have to worry about my bottom end going boom.
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote