Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Members Classifieds - Parts for sale or wanted > Suspension / Chassis / Brakes

Old 10-19-2015, 11:00 AM   #1
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
FS: CTS-V 6 Piston Calipers - Leaking Bleeder Screw on RH - SOLD

SOLD - For Sale: 6-Piston CTS-V Calipers
Price: $300 shipped in the lower 48.
What's Included: LH & RH 6-Piston CTS-V calipers and a brake pad pin kit with bridge bolts.

The Good: LH Caliper worked great, had no issues with it.
The bad: The RH caliper had a leaking outer bleeder screw that I could not get to seal. Seems to have been cross threaded or over tightened (by previous owner).

I have a pair of 6 piston CTS-V calipers and a pad pin kit with the center bridge bolts that are for sale. The RH caliper had a leaking outer bleeder screw that I could not get to seal. I only noticed the leaking when I was autocrossing (i.e. getting on the brakes harder).

Upon further investigation it looks like the RH outer bleeder screw was either cross threaded at one point or over tightened and it started to strip out the threads on one side of the bleeder screw hole in the caliper. I did not attempt getting it repaired because I had a track day 2 weeks after I discovered this and did not want to risk any type of repair to the bleeder screw hole when I was going to be on track at Road America. So I ordered the C7 Z06 6-piston calipers to replace these with. I never had any issue with the LH caliper. I've priced the pair so you bascially get the LH caliper for less than a new one and the RH caliper will go along with it. If someone doesn't want the RH caliper and only wants the LH I might consider selling just the LH and I'll keep the RH for spare parts.

Pictures below. The LH is shown first and then the RH is shown. The RH can also be identified by the white colored stains running down the outer side of the caliper from the brake fluid that was leaking out of the bleeder screw.

If you have any other questions feel free to reply to the thread or PM me.

Thanks.

Nick S.
Attached Images

Last edited by Nick S; 11-17-2015 at 08:13 PM.
Nick S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 11:37 AM   #2
35th02ss

Drives: 02 SS
what else would I need for install?
35th02ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 11:49 AM   #3
Nick S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35th02ss View Post
what else would I need for install?
Well you would either need a new RH caliper or try to repair the bleeder screw hole.

Then you would need the following to complete the install:

1. Brake pads - I do have a used set I took off with the calipers I may be willing to sell with the calipers if you were interested in them). They have .335" of pad left and new ones come with .385". So less than a 1/16" of an inch of pad material has been used up on them. We could talk price on them if you were interested in those.

2. LH & RH Brake Rotors - 2-piece style rotors from the ZL1/CTS-V or you could look at the one piece cast rotors from the CTS-V's as a cheaper option if you are not really serious about tracking the car. If you want to track the car hard then the 2-piece rotors are the best option for cooling purposes.

3. Brake Lines - SS lines are too short and likely do not have the correct angle on the connection. The 6-piston calipers connect to the brake line on the bottom side. The stock 4-piston fronts connect on the top side.

4. New caliper mounting bolts (Stock ones are Torque to Yield...i.e. use only once)

5. Brake Fluid (I'd recommend Motul 600RBF)
Old 10-19-2015, 01:16 PM   #4
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
What would you want just for the LH caliper????
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 03:26 PM   #5
cabbe

Drives: 2014 2ss 1le
What are the chances that the caliper can be fixed? And what would that cost? Did you get them repainted? They look great!
cabbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 07:35 PM   #6
Nick S

Quote:
Originally Posted by olblue75 View Post
What would you want just for the LH caliper????
I pretty much priced it as if I were selling just the LH anyhow. The RH would mostly be a freebie. If I were to keep the RH as a spare parts piece maybe I'd sell the LH for $250 with the pin kit. Let me know if this is something you would be interested in.

Thanks.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:39 PM   #7
Nick S

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabbe View Post
What are the chances that the caliper can be fixed? And what would that cost? Did you get them repainted? They look great!
I have no idea on the chances of it being fixed as I have not called around and asked about the possibilities. Feel free to do some research first if you are interested. Otherwise like I indicated above to Olblue75 I'd consider selling just the LH caliper for $250 including the pin kit. Then you would just have to find a RH caliper (new on Amazon for ~$350 I think) and have it powder coated to match. I had Mike the powder coater do these for me so if you had him do a RH one for you I'm sure it would be an exact match.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:13 PM   #8
CMYarb

Drives: 2011 CAMARO SIM 2SS/RS
Where in Wisconsin are you by? Im interested. I'm in the milwaukee area often. Do you have any pictures of the threads?
CMYarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:14 AM   #9
krusher

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS CGM
The chances are pretty good but not pretty. I fixed mine by going to a machinist and putting a keenzert in. He then took a bolt and made it into a bleeder screw. Luckily mine was on the inside
krusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:58 AM   #10
Nick S

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMYarb View Post
Where in Wisconsin are you by? Im interested. I'm in the milwaukee area often. Do you have any pictures of the threads?
I am near Madison WI (just southwest of Madison actually). I tried to get pictures of the threads but they just do not turn out well or easy to see anything. It's one of those areas you just have to look at in person to really see it. You can see in the one close up picture of the RH caliper that the outer bleeder screw is "leaning" one way and is not perpendicular to the bleeder hole. It's a slight misalignment but I think it was just enough to cause the bleeder screw to not sit properly in the bottom of the bleeder hole.

Let me know if you want to meet up somewhere. I'm not sure if you have a vehicle to dive when you are in the milwaukee area. If you have a vehicle when you are in the area I'd be willing to drive as far as Johnson Creek to meet you for a an in person sale instead of dealing with shipping and paypal.

Thanks.

Nick.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:00 AM   #11
Nick S

Quote:
Originally Posted by krusher View Post
The chances are pretty good but not pretty. I fixed mine by going to a machinist and putting a keenzert in. He then took a bolt and made it into a bleeder screw. Luckily mine was on the inside
Thanks for providing the info from your experience.

Glad to hear yours worked out for you.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:04 PM   #12
Nick S

Bump. Still available.
Old 10-24-2015, 07:37 PM   #13
Nick S

bump!
Old 10-28-2015, 03:12 PM   #14
Nick S