Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 04-19-2010, 04:37 PM   #1
SupremacyCustoms

Drives: black 2010 2ss/rs camaro
Our Twin Turbo Kit

Hey every one we are going to start work on a twin turbo set up. We want to see what turbo you guys would rather use, the Garrett GT37r or Turbonetics Hurricane Ashly CBB. With these turbos we will run duel 50mm Synchronic Wastegate and a Synchronic BOV. We ourselves are looking to put over 800 whp with this kit and a few other support mods. We are going over ways to make a top of the line kit and keep cost low. All you turbo junkies post what you would like to see in this kit!
SupremacyCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 05:21 PM   #2
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupremacyCustoms View Post
Hey every one we are going to start work on a twin turbo set up. We want to see what turbo you guys would rather use, the Garrett GT37r or Turbonetics Hurricane Ashly CBB. With these turbos we will run duel 50mm Synchronic Wastegate and a Synchronic BOV. We ourselves are looking to put over 800 whp with this kit and a few other support mods. We are going over ways to make a top of the line kit and keep cost low. All you turbo junkies post what you would like to see in this kit!
Bill, I've had the GT37r and they are fantastic in response and durability. I'm sure they are more expensive than the Turbonetics, but if possible you may give that choice to the consumer to pick either or.

Looking forward to more info!
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:11 PM   #3
SupremacyCustoms

Both are very close in price both are ball bearing both are great turbos the GT37r is a little more in price. This is going to be a very fun kit! We are look through everything to make a very good price kit that is good for up to 1000 HP! And with this ket just to let you guys kno you will not need a boost controller the wastegates have controller between 5 and 20 psi i dont know who would be going over 20 psi.

Last edited by SupremacyCustoms; 04-19-2010 at 09:42 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:27 PM   #4
Z_Rocks

Quote:
Both are very close in price both are ball bearing both are great turbos the GT37r is a little more in price. This is going to be a very fun kit! We are look through everything to make a very good price kit that is good for up to 1000 HP! And with this ket just to let you guys kno you will not need a boost controller the wastegates have controller between 5 and 20 psi i dont know who would be going over 20 psi.
Bill, one other suggestion that I hope you look into this. Every kit that I have seen, the front pumper blocks almost 80% of the intercooler and it only gets a bit of air from the top and bottom. My suggestion is to have a "Wide" but "Short" intercooler that sits under the bumper. The total dimensions would still equal to, but you get more exposure to cool air. Check out this design. I'm not saying make it this big, but you can see there is no blockage like other kits I've seen. http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/3788/img0007y.jpg
Old 04-20-2010, 08:41 AM   #5
SupremacyCustoms

Yes im going to take a look into that. That one is really long just going over the pipping in my head to make everything fit with the most ease i dont want to make a hard install.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:25 AM   #6
Z_Rocks

Quote:
Yes im going to take a look into that. That one is really long just going over the pipping in my head to make everything fit with the most ease i dont want to make a hard install.
I just showed that you to make a point of avoiding getting blocked by the bumper. Take a look at some of the other kits, and you notice some are very blocked. And if you put a huge intercooler that goes all the way from the top to bottom, first your blocking the radiator and secondly, in 7lb of boost package, your pressure drops due to over sized intercooler. The camaro poses a few odd restrictions and this is one of them Good luck
Old 04-20-2010, 04:06 PM   #7
SupremacyCustoms

We are looking for a intercooler that will not be covered like in other kits we might use a GT3582r instead of the GT3788r Less lag and can still get 1000 HP with them. Z_Rocks What do you think of the GT35R?
Old 04-20-2010, 04:51 PM   #8
Z_Rocks

Quote:
We are looking for a intercooler that will not be covered like in other kits we might use a GT3582r instead of the GT3788r Less lag and can still get 1000 HP with them. Z_Rocks What do you think of the GT35R?
I have not had any experience with the 35 series, and I think depend on your goal, quicker spool for city driving or later spool but with longer lasting boost.

Another thing to consider (and I haven't really investigated the space) is the following issue which also might affect your decision on the turbo.

Let's say looking at the new BMW turbo series, they're bringing the turbo very close to the engine to a) minimize the latency b) to get the most charged energy released from the engine. Porsche does the same thing. On the Vettes, APS and TTi did the same by connecting the turbos directly to the manifold, rather than with the other kits, placing them under the car.

This is something that I'd also take into consideration, if there is room for the turbos to be on the side and connected to the (custom) manifold. This will also bring the turbos closer to the front of the car for shorter air intake and shorter connection to the intercooler.

I always liked the APS (Z06 model) design and had a great response. When I look at some of the other kits and if you add up the length of all the pluming, there is a lot of distance that the air needs to travel before getting to the engine.

If I were you, I'd look at the design out of the box rather than the conventional design of putting two turbos under the car with lots of tubes running... Otherwise you're not bringing anything unique to the table.

Just my two cents and I don't mean any disrespect to other kits or yours. Here we're trying to collaborate and build something better.

I think once you figure out the positioning and overall air travel distance, then you can figure out the Turbos that would satisfy that need. That's how I'd approach it!

..Ben
Old 04-20-2010, 05:10 PM   #9
SupremacyCustoms

Yes we are trying to do something like the aps style the less Tubeing the better! I was looking over the APS Zo6 and thats what we want but better.The GT35r Will Fit and can handle 1200 FWHP. My Biggest problem is finding the right intercooler we might have to go with a full customs intercooler. We are trying to have it when you order the kit you can pick from 3 boost settings and we can send a tune for that boost setting and set the wastegates for you. The more you tell us what you want the better. Thanks for your help Z_Rocks We are looking into everything you are talking about to make the best Kit out there!
Old 04-20-2010, 05:35 PM   #10
Z_Rocks

Quote:
Yes we are trying to do something like the aps style the less Tubeing the better! I was looking over the APS Zo6 and thats what we want but better.The GT35r Will Fit and can handle 1200 FWHP. My Biggest problem is finding the right intercooler we might have to go with a full customs intercooler. We are trying to have it when you order the kit you can pick from 3 boost settings and we can send a tune for that boost setting and set the wastegates for you. The more you tell us what you want the better. Thanks for your help Z_Rocks We are looking into everything you are talking about to make the best Kit out there!
I'm sure you'll design a good system with your open mind and being transparent. In the long run it will payoff. Good luck
Old 04-20-2010, 09:41 PM   #11
SupremacyCustoms

Thanks Z We want to do this kit right i have looked all over for a good intercooler that will fit right and handle the hp if you see any let me know.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:00 PM   #12
SonnyakaPig

Drives: C63 P31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Rocks View Post
I just showed that you to make a point of avoiding getting blocked by the bumper. Take a look at some of the other kits, and you notice some are very blocked. And if you put a huge intercooler that goes all the way from the top to bottom, first your blocking the radiator and secondly, in 7lb of boost package, your pressure drops due to over sized intercooler. The camaro poses a few odd restrictions and this is one of them Good luck
I also think the idea of a wider but shorter in height intercooler is a very good idea. Blocking the radiator makes the engine very hot for stop-and-go driving when you live in hot areas like Southern CA. Just my 2 cents.

I'm excited to see this kit.
SonnyakaPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:09 AM   #13
SupremacyCustoms

The closest i have found so far is this one
The core it self is only 6" tall but the end tanks are 3 inch so overall its 12" the flow rate is great on this with 1492 CFM and at max flow only 1.5 psi dropim trying to find away to make it fit right. I could of made a short long one but with it that long there would of been a psi drop of over 8! so we can not do it like that. From the front cross bar to the bottom of the front bumper is about 7 1/2" and 1 1/2" of the core might be covered but if its set back as far as it can the whole core should still get air! Let me know what you guys think.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:18 AM   #14
Z_Rocks

Quote:
The closest i have found so far is this one
The core it self is only 6" tall but the end tanks are 3 inch so overall its 12" the flow rate is great on this with 1492 CFM and at max flow only 1.5 psi dropim trying to find away to make it fit right. I could of made a short long one but with it that long there would of been a psi drop of over 8! so we can not do it like that. From the front cross bar to the bottom of the front bumper is about 7 1/2" and 1 1/2" of the core might be covered but if its set back as far as it can the whole core should still get air! Let me know what you guys think.
I like this IC for the way it distributes air and the input and output are far from each other. This will allow for the maximum usage of the core. In some IC the input and output are on the exact opposite sides which most of the core will not get utilized.

Ok Bill, are you saying you want to put this behind the bumper or below or above? I didn't get that clearly from you. perhaps you can do a drawing and post it. But the IC looks very good.