Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-15-2014, 12:29 AM   #29
MYSS1LE

Drives: redhot camaro ss1le
why waste your money if your not going to get benefits out of it. You dont need to make any other upgrades to get a performance increase.
MYSS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 12:28 PM   #30
1989GTA

Drives: 1989 GTA Trans Am
"so long as it's CARB approved, you will pass smog (California Air Resource Board). It should come with a CARB sticker which should have a number on it."

That is going to depend on the shop doing it. I have been known to have to take a car to 3 or 4 different shops before I could get someone to do it. CARB sticker approved or not.

I had one guy refuse to do my Trans Am because of the cold air intake. The part he was complaining about happened to be the factory piece. Now there were other areas on the car that were shall we say a gray area. I just figured he did not want to do my car and was looking for an excuse. So I just moved along to another shop.
1989GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 12:31 AM   #31
Snidely Whiplash
Fight Crime, Drive Armed

Drives: '14 2SS Yelo Maro, HD collection
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshift View Post
Regarding California smog regs, so long as it's CARB approved, you will pass smog (California Air Resource Board). It should come with a CARB sticker which should have a number on it. Prior to purchasing your intake, make sure it's CARB approved if that's an issue. I have an Airaid which is not. However, I kept my stock intake and can swap it out. My car will pass the test, just not the visual. It's silly as it's a similar design to many CARB approved intakes on the market. That being said, if you bought your car new, you should be good for five years before you have to smog it in California. The smog here is crazy. No long tube headers either. Won't pass in Cali.
Hell, Kali is so screwed. They have to "approve" a firearm before you can buy one.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:44 AM   #32
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

Drives: ZL1 19 White; Jeep 5.7 GC 15
Installed CAI.inc yesterday in my 2014 SS. No fitments problems. The gain is noticeable.

The growl will blow your mind
Old 08-15-2014, 12:11 PM   #33
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
CAI fit my 2014 1LE like a dream . Add the Apex race scoop and washer relocate and you have one of the best cold air systems going.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:49 PM   #34
MightymouseSS

Drives: 2011 LS3
I had airaid before vararam and never had any issues with fitment or quality its a good system. I never had experience with CAI or any other intake of that type. But CAI seems to be the popular choice im sure the gains are marginal comparing one to the other. There's lots on info here regarding these intakes search around.
SLP loudmouth 2
Nightfury Cam
Mike Norris CC
Tuned by Southwest Speed
MightymouseSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 04:50 PM   #35
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Airaid, CAI and Roto-Fab are all great choices and perform well. Looks and cost should really be your deciding factors. Feel free to call, PM or email me anytime with questions.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 06:04 PM   #36
BigRed585Lbs

Drives: Sierra and Tahoe
Get the Z/28 set-up and don't look back.
BigRed585Lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:18 PM   #37
Scotty D

Drives: 2014 1le 1SS CRMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
If you like the looks, then by all means get it. If you want performance with it, there are better options out there. The Airaid intake gets ALL it's air from the same single source as the OEM box. That little snorkel is a restriction, which is part of the reason the others, with open bottoms, perform better.
I like the fact on how big the filter is on the Airaid !! But you could alway forget the snorkel and open that area up with a drumel !!! Sure that would help it big time with that restricted snorkel !
Scotty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:45 PM   #38
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty D View Post
I like the fact on how big the filter is on the Airaid !! But you could alway forget the snorkel and open that area up with a drumel !!! Sure that would help it big time with that restricted snorkel !
You could do that with the stock airbox and save yourself the money.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 05:56 AM   #39
Baltimorejohn1

Drives: Camaro 2SS
I had the 2011 and now have the 2014 HUGE differences
First that air scoop little snorkel is 6x4 inches
It's aligned to scoop air from in front of the radiator where the radiator appears to be moved back enough to allow said in

The front end is designed to naturally scoop air from under the car up through the hood air vent
So there is plenty of air for these cold air intakes to get

I've driven quite a bit and tested even with my hand to see how well the heat is being extracted
And I have to say I'm impressed how well it's extracting heat from the engine bay

So combined with the more aggressive tune it came with its definitely getting more from these cold air intakes
Old 09-16-2015, 12:57 PM   #40
MYLSA

Drives: 2014 ZL1 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-_-RAD View Post
Clearly the k&n is the best intake available. just for the haters.

Okay so what is wrong with the K&N Typhoon...besides the CAI that has the glass cover over the filter I don't see much difference bewteen some of these cold air intakes being talked about??? And I know I could paint any of them but I think this would look good under the hood of my Summit White SS???

Name:  KNcai.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  35.7 KB
MYLSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 01:41 PM   #41
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by i-Guy View Post
Okay so what is wrong with the K&N Typhoon...besides the CAI that has the glass cover over the filter I don't see much difference bewteen some of these cold air intakes being talked about??? And I know I could paint any of them but I think this would look good under the hood of my Summit White SS???

Attachment 744466
Airaid was bought out by K&N .So you may see some changes in one or both of them . If you look up the very comprehensive test posted on here Ted Janetty did ,all your questions will be answered .
Old 09-16-2015, 04:30 PM   #42
Stubbsy

Drives: 2012 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTG View Post
I like the looks of it.
From what I've read a CAI in and of itself isn't going to do much for me by itself.
Without supporting mods I won't see a big difference and I don't plan on doing anything else to the car.
I just want to make the engine area look better.
Airaid carbon looks the goods.
Attached Images

Stubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote