Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 09-15-2014, 02:02 PM   #15
pickwithaustin

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible and:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingSpeed View Post
Around here it's ok to drive in the left lane as long as your going about 80+ which is almost everyone. Cops only watch out for the ones who clog the passing lane up driving 65 like the right lane. On occasion If someone is in the left lane doing 65 and the right has been open for the past couple 100 feet I will pass on the right. But it's ok at least it's not on the shoulder! Right!

In Texas, really? Speed limit is 80+??
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible | 1980 Corvette Stingray | 1981 Firebird | 1968 El Camino | 2007 Crown Vic Police Interceptor | 2001 Silverado | 2001 Blazer | 1965 Chevy C-10 | 2007 Harley Softail Custom | 2013 MX-5 in Copper Red Mica | 2000 Corvette Convertible | 2010 Corvette Grand Sport | 2006 Audi A3 Turbo | 2008 BMW 328i

pickwithaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 02:31 PM   #16
NJScorpio

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LT Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickwithaustin View Post
I've visited Texas, and I can confirm that the accepted speed limit seems to be 80mph+.
NJScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 02:35 PM   #17
3Black
Account Suspended

Drives: 2014 1SS/RS M6
So if I am travelling slightly faster than other people on the highway and I choose to cruise in left lane so I don't have to keep weaving in and out, I'm an asshole?
3Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 02:46 PM   #18
CruisingSpeed
The Stealth Bumblebee

Drives: Black 2013 2LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickwithaustin View Post
A few major interstates yes but cops do patrol them closely... it's how I plan road trips! Lol

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/...ists-in-texas/

One more reason to move to Texas.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:06 PM   #19
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by backbaconrules View Post
You're supposed to stay in the right lane unless you're passing. Being nice? Only assholes cruise in the left lane.
I pretty much agree. I have been known to cruise in the left when no one is behind me going faster than I - usually because the left lane is smoother and people entering from the right don't know how to "merge".

I never hold up faster traffic though in the left lane. In a situation like OP's, if I'm going faster than a left lane cruiser they should move over (but rarely do). If they do move over and let me pass I feel no obligation to speed up, since I am faster moving traffic and am entitled to the left lane over them.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 03:06 PM   #20
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
I know Washington State is really after Left Lane Hogs and we are suppose to start enforcing the same here in BC soon. The funny part is they've added a 3rd lane to the right for trucks to use on graded sections of the main highway and nobody is EVER in it. Not even the big trucks use it and I've found myself over in the far right going past everyone who are doing well below the limit. People just don't know WTF they're doing on the roads. Drives me bonkers.

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 03:08 PM   #21
PalmerGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Crazy Camaro View Post
just became effective in GA as of July 1, 2014. if you are a slowpoke you will get pulled-over

http://www.legis.ga.gov/legislation/...0132014/HB/459
Have you seen or heard of anyone being pulled over for it yet? I haven't and don't expect to.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
Old 09-15-2014, 03:11 PM   #22
PalmerGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd in Vancouver View Post
People just don't know WTF they're doing on the roads.
And that, my Canadian friend, is the sad truth of it all.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:24 PM   #23
goldcoastmat

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS convertable
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post
It's a legal requirement to move over to let people pass, period, end of story. They're following the law, and don't be one of those people that just camps out and paces people in the next lane over. If you're in the left lane, you're passing. If you're not passing, you're moving over.
This is not true in FL.

When you have 8 lanes to pick from this rule kinda goes out the window.

Of course most of the time the far left lane is a Carpool lane, or a toll lane.

Especially in Miami, there is no such thing as a passing lane in South Florida..
goldcoastmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 04:02 PM   #24
Outlaw77

Drives: 2018 Charger SRT 392 F8 Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
When driving my mother's Hyundai Accent, I feel like I get no respect on the road. Cars just cut me off, pass me on the right, and in general treat the car's presence on the road like a joke. For this reason (and many other, safety related ones) I've told her she needs to get something else (it's time anyway).

On the flip side, you have what happens with my black 2012. Where I'm at, it's pretty common for a caravan of cars to cruise in the passing lane on highways, moving a bit faster than the wall of cars in the right lane.

Often times, when there are just a few cars in the passing lane, and I'm approaching one of them, they will scoot over to the right lane to let me pass. That is very nice of them. But, I honestly had no intent to go much faster than they were. So now they are over in the right lane, expecting me to pass them, so they can get back in the left and continue on their way.

Well, if you insist, I'll go faster!

Then the merge back behind me.

I guess they are being nice, and it's useful when I'm in a rush...

This is too funny because I had the exact same issues when I had a 2012 Hyundai Accent for my daily commuter car! I got no respect in that thing ever!! Got cut off all the time but the thing took a month to get up to speed! But when I'm driving my camaro people get out of the way, give me room and give me respect.

I have since sold the accent and got a big 2010 dodge ram 1500 laramie edition for the daily commute.
Outlaw77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 05:34 PM   #25
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
And that, my Canadian friend, is the sad truth of it all.
Yes some things are universal no matter where you live and drive. But, I can tell you that the Washington state troopers aren't messing around and they have in fact pulled over a HUGE number of people for it. They are giving a grace period before they start ticketing but it is very nice to see them focus on something besides speeding for a change. If it weren't for these Left Lane Hogs then maybe I wouldn't need to speed to be on time. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 07:01 PM   #26
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
I have noticed that other cars respect my Camaro as opposed to my other car (Subaru) and other cars I've driven. The car has an undeniable road presence even though its been out almost 5 years. I still frequently get cars giving up their yield voluntarily, moving out of passing lanes, and I almost never get cut off.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 07:06 PM   #27
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd in Vancouver View Post
Yes some things are universal no matter where you live and drive. But, I can tell you that the Washington state troopers aren't messing around and they have in fact pulled over a HUGE number of people for it. They are giving a grace period before they start ticketing but it is very nice to see them focus on something besides speeding for a change. If it weren't for these Left Lane Hogs then maybe I wouldn't need to speed to be on time. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Indeed and there is also a shifting policy with ticketing almost universally. Ever since the recession people are pinched for pennies and speeding tickets have consistently risen in penalty everywhere. People are much more careful now because that $500 speeding ticket does that much more damage. Now that people are more keen they have to look to things other than speeding. I applaud it. These passing lane cloggers cause traffic and road rage and are an easy target. No one really gets angry at people speeding in the fast lane so as far as I'm concerned from the public's point of view lane cloggers are at least comparably draining.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 07:52 PM   #28
DDoug

Drives: '13 Inferno Orange ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
I've visited Texas, and I can confirm that the accepted speed limit seems to be 80mph+.
I was in Pittsburgh in June, doing 85-90 in a 55, for at least 20 miles - I passed exactly ZERO cars - and there were other cars, and I was being passed.

Couldn't believe it, don't remember what road now, near/around Monroeville - East of 'burgh.