Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 09:03 PM   #1
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
Angry I hate California laws

So I'm now stationed in Washington after living in California for the past eight years. I bought my 2011 1LT prior to the move and now I want to get Washington insurance rates.I talked to a USAA adjustor over the phone and he gave me a quote of around $900 semi-annually. My current California rate is around $1200 semi-annually for full coverage. As I agree to the amount and he is typing up my policy he gets back to me with some bad news. Apparently California has a law that states that any vehicle registered to California can not have out of state coverage, military is not exempt from this as well. Just get my vehicle registered to Washington? Here's my catch 22. The local DMV does not accept electronic titles from the vendors that my bank's loan is through. So I can't get my registration switched over. Does anyone else who has bought a vehicle in California and now lives in another state have a solution for this?
Old 07-14-2011, 09:18 PM   #2
MARINE1991

Drives: COTW 8/29/11 2010 CAMARO
if USAA wont do it I guess it can not be done... weird thow... I am stationed in CA and have the car registered in FL and I have USAA for both CA and FL cards..
Old 07-14-2011, 09:29 PM   #3
Xello

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS
It sounds like your bank or whoever is holding your title is giving you the business. There is no reason why they couldn't supply you a certified paper copy of the title if you need it. They might try charging you for it but you should be able to get it. Also, your insurance agent is misinformed or the insurance company is giving you the run around. USAA should know better. If you are in the military and you can show that you have orders to be stationed with an address in Washington it doesnt matter where the car is registered or where your permanent address is. Your rates should reflect where YOU live not where the car is registered. When I was in the Army stationed in Texas for two years, I kept my car registered with Illinois, drove around with Illinois plates the whole time and was insured with a national company but through a local agent. My rates reflected living and driving around Fort Hood not Chicago and they were considerably lower.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:06 AM   #4
Becka1988

Drives: Dream Girl 2011 1SS
The bank should be able to supply a paper copy of your title. My credit union doesn't typically send paper copies unless specifically requested. The dealership I traded my Charger in required a paper copy. It took two weeks but they finally got it in snail mail and I got paid! I'd ask around to make sure the info you got is correct.

Darn CA not giving exemptions to military personnel!
Old 07-15-2011, 12:50 AM   #5
HaVoKZ06
I love my GM cars!!

Drives: 2011 Vette Z06, 2011 Camaro SS2/RS
HAHAAHA I agree...I Love living in California 'BUT' only for the weather... Other than that MY state is worthless and all they State of CA does is Rape its residents. Because all big companies left this State years ago, Especially GM, that had the original CAMARO plant in Van Nuys California. California thinks since it does not have many big companies in the state any longer it’s going to make its living off it residents. LOL
Old 07-15-2011, 02:27 PM   #6
JohnnyComeLately

Drives: 2010 SS/RS
With ya. I'm probably moving. All my life I've been trying to get back here and after 12 years here I am just about at my limit with taxes. Our state is probably the only one that manages it's money worse than the Fed Gov.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:39 PM   #7
arod55
AROD55

Drives: 1955 Chevy Bel Air Hardtop
I am a native Californian, and yes we have our issues in this state but what state does't. The way to solve the problem is to get out and vote and get the incumbents out of office and get new blood in. Have term limits and let your voice be heard, just my opinion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-15-2011, 07:04 PM   #8
comm17
Racing Byrds

Drives: '16 BVM 2SS '10 IBM 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy82 View Post
So I'm now stationed in Washington after living in California for the past eight years. I bought my 2011 1LT prior to the move and now I want to get Washington insurance rates.I talked to a USAA adjustor over the phone and he gave me a quote of around $900 semi-annually. My current California rate is around $1200 semi-annually for full coverage. As I agree to the amount and he is typing up my policy he gets back to me with some bad news. Apparently California has a law that states that any vehicle registered to California can not have out of state coverage, military is not exempt from this as well. Just get my vehicle registered to Washington? Here's my catch 22. The local DMV does not accept electronic titles from the vendors that my bank's loan is through. So I can't get my registration switched over. Does anyone else who has bought a vehicle in California and now lives in another state have a solution for this?
So refinance ur car w USAA they will refi a 2011 as a new purchase, and register it in WA I'm sure the fee's are less there!

Thank you BECKY!!!
Old 07-16-2011, 12:52 AM   #9
MatchbookSS

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy82 View Post

That makes absolutely no sense. I've bought a couple of cars originally in California and then re-registered them at my home of record in WA. No problems. Didn't even need the title. Just registered it at my home of record, which should be wherever you live obviously. That coupled with a set of military orders and you should be fine. You'll be happy with the fact that it'll cost like 60 bucks annually to insure, and likely your insurance rates will drop, depending on where you're stationed.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:08 PM   #10
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnighter View Post
I hate Kalifornia period!
there, fixed it for ya
Old 07-18-2011, 01:40 PM   #11
Amenti

Drives: 2017 1SS Convertible
+1

Yes, California sucks. I'm sure one day it'll be known as the birthplace of a fascist new world order.

Appearance Mods: RiderGraphix LS7 Front Fascia Blackout Vinyl, Gill Insert Vinyl, Rear Deck Lid Vinyl (Gloss Black), Gary's Customs Painted Bowties

Coming Soon: BMR Trailing Arms
Old 07-18-2011, 05:46 PM   #12
Agent WD-40

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
+1 to the OP.

I'm originally from California and split when I got the chance. I do have to say I really like the fact that my current state is cheap to live and basically leaves me alone with laws. After being out of state for 6 years now there are some things I miss but I don't think I would move back though. The expense and laws definitely aren't on that list.

There is no way I could have my current car in California. It wouldn't pass smog with the cam and headers. I don't miss CARB!
Stainless Works 1 7/8" Long Tube Headers
Corsa Exhaust
Old 07-18-2011, 07:00 PM   #13
arod55
AROD55

Drives: 1955 Chevy Bel Air Hardtop
I hate this thread.
Closed Thread