Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 05-23-2022, 05:19 PM   #1
azrickg

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Broken Output Shaft - TR6060 Rebuild

Hey everyone!

So I've got to get my transmission rebuilt, it's a 2010 2SS/RS, currently completely stock. I've been doing a bit of reading on here and just have a few questions I'd like to pose before sending it off as I'm still learning.

My goals for the car are to keep it mostly stock, semi-daily driver and I really don't plan on tracking it at the moment. I figured I'd do the usual, simple bolt-on modifications (headers, exhaust, intake, etc.) and I was considering forced induction (probably supercharged) a ways down the road.

My main question is with getting the transmission rebuilt, I imagine it's probably better to just beef it up now if it's necessary to handle any extra HP supercharging it might bring unless stock can handle that?

I was also curious what other upgrades people recommend doing to the transmission as well as to the rest of the drive train while the transmission is out. I was mostly curious about different gearing, upgrading the clutch and moving to a single mass flywheel and how much those impact drivability.

What are people's experience/recommendations with these upgrades, would they be necessary at this point? My car is low mileage (3k) so I wasn't planning on doing the clutch at this point but with the transmission out I figured that might be worth doing.

Lastly, and probably most importantly. I am from the Phoenix, AZ area. I've perused the forums finding TICK and a couple other names I'd have to go back and find again but to those that have had their transmission rebuilt/upgraded what are your shop recommendations?

I apologize in advance if I've asked stuff that is covered elsewhere and also thanks in advance to those who post a response!

Thanks!
azrickg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 09:28 PM   #2
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
I am around 600hp, supercharged and other bolt ons. I just installed a dual disc clutch and I am on the stock trans. No issues, I am over 100,000 miles.

Personally, I would throw money at other stuff before the trans. But if and when you do, Tick Performance is great with great customer service.
2014 SS LS3/LSA Supercharger, 10% Super Damper, 2.55 upper, AGP Dual Pump, ID 1050 injectors, Pegasus solid rear cradle bushings, LT Headers, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite E2 catch can, E85 corn fed, 160 Thermostat, Monster Twin Disk, MGW Short Throw shifter, Tick Clutch Master Cylinder, HP Tuners, JL Audio system.
Valkyrie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 07:02 AM   #3
demonspeed
not afraid of the wall

Drives: Camaros
How’d you break it with such low miles and what you seem to be explaining as really mild driving? These are tough transmissions and they don’t generally give people issues. I’m at 600hp and have only upgraded the clutch.
demonspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 07:48 AM   #4
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
Early 2010 cars had flawed output shafts, but you still had to beat on them to get them to break. GForce makes a 9310 unit they exclusively sell to RPM who now will only sell you one if you have them rebuild your trans. The 9310 shaft is unnecessary for moderate builds.

I have never had these shops build me a transmission, but RPM, Liberty and Tick have the best reputations.

While it is out, I would have the shop install carbon blockers and synchros, bronze fork pads, and the additional tailshaft bearing found in the Corvettes.

If you are not beating on it, you should not need a new clutch, but if you are not beating on it, how did you break the output shaft?

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 10:21 PM   #5
oldman14ss

Drives: 2014 1ss camaro
libertys is presently doing mine..as opinions go . they were the first to start modifying transmissions to be indestuctable. all others follow their lead. ask pratt /miller . most all pro stock drivers. they survive the 24 hours of daytona, leMans etc. im going bullet proof. they are fantastic to work with , this the second trans that they have built for me. overkill yes, but i want it that way. they can build you anything you want . from mild to wild.
oldman14ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 10:23 PM   #6
oldman14ss

Drives: 2014 1ss camaro
i had a 4th gen with a t56 they built for me. sold the car and it has out lasted the next 2 owners thus far.
oldman14ss is offline   Reply With Quote