Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-07-2022, 12:55 AM   #1
wastepile

Drives: 2010 ABM Camaro SS M6
Ported throttle body vs vitesse throttle controller

I've read that a ported tb mainly gives a better throttle response. Dynos have at times shown zero hp gain. So for the sake of this question let's assume zero hp.

Is there an advantage of one over the other in regards to throttle response? (Ported tb vis tb throttle control)controller.

How hard is it to install a ported tb for someone who isn't very mechanically experienced?

Thanks
wastepile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 05:04 AM   #2
George-CZ

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3 and 1978 STROKER 383
The PTB along with the tune will really improve the throttle response.
But I personally still thought it was not enough.

That's why I added the TB Controller and I'm completely satisfied!

As for the PTB itself, although the manufacturers write that there is no need for a tune, it is better to at least record a few selected data on the datalog and send them to your tuner for correction and adjustment.
You will always find things that can be done better after installation.

I think anyone can handle the installation.
Disconnect the MAF sensor, remove the air supply, disconnect the TB control and remove the 4 screws and then everything back.

Name:  20210309_122715.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  326.5 KB

Name:  20210309_124347_HDR.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  293.6 KB

Name:  20210419_151927.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  99.7 KB

Name:  20210809_165548_HDR.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  246.9 KB

K&N CAI, Stainless Power longtubes, high flow cats, modified Ragazzon High Performance axle back, Soler Performance ported throttle body, Soler Performance throttle controller, RAM clutch adjuster, modified LS7 clutch kit, Tick Performance billet bearing support, Tick Performance remote bleeder, separate clutch reservoir, BMR trailing arms, BMR toe rods, Pedders Suspension cradle bushing inserts, Control Arm Bushings, Strut tower brace, oil catch can, Hurst T-handle shifter, 20mm wheel spacers, DBA brakes, QTP Cutouts, Dynosteve tune.
George-CZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 05:07 PM   #3
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
I've seen ported TBs with controllers throw codes.
I personally would have a reputable porter do the TB and have a good tune done on the car.
2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 07:11 PM   #4
wastepile

Drives: 2010 ABM Camaro SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by George-CZ View Post
The PTB along with the tune will really improve the throttle response.
But I personally still thought it was not enough.

That's why I added the TB Controller and I'm completely satisfied!

As for the PTB itself, although the manufacturers write that there is no need for a tune, it is better to at least record a few selected data on the datalog and send them to your tuner for correction and adjustment.
You will always find things that can be done better after installation.

I think anyone can handle the installation.
Disconnect the MAF sensor, remove the air supply, disconnect the TB control and remove the 4 screws and then everything back.

Thanks for your personal experience! I installed the VTC and love it. I'm in the process of figuring out which mods I want before I take it in for the tune, and a ported TB is on the consideration list. I've heard VTC can mess up a tune, so I'm going to take it off before and then put it back on afterwards. And yeah, installing that is definitely in my mechanical capability :-).
wastepile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 03:25 AM   #5
George-CZ

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3 and 1978 STROKER 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by wastepile View Post
Thanks for your personal experience! I installed the VTC and love it. I'm in the process of figuring out which mods I want before I take it in for the tune, and a ported TB is on the consideration list. I've heard VTC can mess up a tune, so I'm going to take it off before and then put it back on afterwards. And yeah, installing that is definitely in my mechanical capability :-).

I don't know what was the cause of the error for the other guys who had problems.
But it is mainly important to maintain a certain procedure during assembly.

I've been riding with this combo from Soler for several years now and haven't had any problems so far, so I take my procedure as correct.

I installed the ported throttle body, reset the fuel map overnight by pulling out the 20 and 5 fuses, and then did a couple of test starts and a few runs per Soler's instructions to start the learning process for the ECM for new throttle body.

After that I drove a normal 180 miles so that the ECM had time to learn to cooperate with the new PTB.

Then I contacted my tuner, who told me what values he needed to know from the datalog and I recorded them for him.
After sending it along with my car's ECM program. Next day I received a new tune and uploaded it to my car.

I did a few test drives with the new tune to see if the ECM would have any issues.

And only at the very end did I connect the throttle body controller.

And again, it is necessary to maintain a certain procedure.
I opened my car, left it for about 10 min at rest until the power is turned off and only then did I connect the controller to the gas pedal circuit.

And as I already wrote. I have never experienced any problems.
..which of course doesn't mean they can't come. But he thinks there is no reason.

Hope this helps you

K&N CAI, Stainless Power longtubes, high flow cats, modified Ragazzon High Performance axle back, Soler Performance ported throttle body, Soler Performance throttle controller, RAM clutch adjuster, modified LS7 clutch kit, Tick Performance billet bearing support, Tick Performance remote bleeder, separate clutch reservoir, BMR trailing arms, BMR toe rods, Pedders Suspension cradle bushing inserts, Control Arm Bushings, Strut tower brace, oil catch can, Hurst T-handle shifter, 20mm wheel spacers, DBA brakes, QTP Cutouts, Dynosteve tune.
George-CZ is offline   Reply With Quote