Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 01-11-2019, 06:19 PM   #1
Arkangel-77

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
2010 SS *new* TPMS not working - Help Plz

SO - My TPM sensors were starting to fail. I figured It would be a Good Idea to replace them all at once! I have a 2010 SS. I ordered a set of 4 Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor / TPMS #20922900 315MHz for my Car. Had them Installed today by a Tire shop and when I went home to try and teach/Learn the new sensors to the car, I could not get past the 1st wheel.... I get it into the learn mode easy but no matter how much air I let out or put back in the horn never sounds and eventually the process just times out. I tried this twice today and then gave up. Am I doing something wrong? did I just buy junk new sensors? Anyone have any Ideas?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:20 PM   #2
Baldman
EMERALD COAST CAMAROS

Drives: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkangel-77 View Post
SO - My TPM sensors were starting to fail. I figured It would be a Good Idea to replace them all at once! I have a 2010 SS. I ordered a set of 4 Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor / TPMS #20922900 315MHz for my Car. Had them Installed today by a Tire shop and when I went home to try and teach/Learn the new sensors to the car, I could not get past the 1st wheel.... I get it into the learn mode easy but no matter how much air I let out or put back in the horn never sounds and eventually the process just times out. I tried this twice today and then gave up. Am I doing something wrong? did I just buy junk new sensors? Anyone have any Ideas?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Go back to the tire shop and have them fix the install on your tires. They probably have a TPMS gauge and it will only take 5 minutes to set them up.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:37 PM   #3
Clarkstar

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
^^^ what he said^^^
2013 1le- Katech 416 short block, TSP custom grind cam, LOD intake, cnc heads by F.ED., Nick William's 102mm T.B., CORN fed, Pedders coilovers. Performance street alingnment by Justin at Lake Country Alignment and dyno tune by Late Model Throttle.

603 h.p. 495 ft lbs tq.
Clarkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 03:09 PM   #4
Arkangel-77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldman View Post
Go back to the tire shop and have them fix the install on your tires. They probably have a TPMS gauge and it will only take 5 minutes to set them up.
What are u talking about, the programmer or whatever? If that's what u are saying. There's is broken. When I did this on my 2010 gmc pickup I was able to use the self learn feature and it would recognize the new sensors. Dont understands why it won't work on the Camaro?
Old 01-16-2019, 11:54 AM   #5
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
What do you mean, their tool is broken? They are a tire shop and it's their job to program the sensors.

In some model year after 2010, the ability to re-learn by lowering the pressure went away. Only the tool will do it. I'm not sure whether that's a function of the sensors or something else in the system. Maybe your new sensors don't work the old way. If so, you can get the tool for around $40 and DIY.

But seriously, you shouldn't have walked out of the tire shop without them programming your TPMS.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 01:10 PM   #6
Baldman
EMERALD COAST CAMAROS

Drives: None
Quote:
What are u talking about, the programmer or whatever? If that's what u are saying. There's is broken. When I did this on my 2010 gmc pickup I was able to use the self learn feature and it would recognize the new sensors. Dont understands why it won't work on the Camaro?
Yes the 2010 models you could do the process by yourself but then GM started using a TPMS relearning tool that took less than five minutes to do. If the tire shop says theirs is broken go to Auto Zone or a automotive supply store and ask them if you could use theirs.
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2019, 03:56 PM   #7
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Drives: '69 Z/28 LeMans Blue w/White
They forgot to put the sensors on before they mounted the tires.....

You don't need a tool on a 2010.
Stingr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 04:09 PM   #8
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingr69 View Post
They forgot to put the sensors on before they mounted the tires.....

You don't need a tool on a 2010.
OP says he went to the tire store specifically to have the new sensors, that he purchased, installed.

The tire store said their reset tool wasn't working. But maybe the sensors aren't working. He tried the deflation method and it didn't work. I looked into this a bit since my last post. The sensor P/N didn't change when the deflation reset was eliminated, something else in the system did. So, he should have been successful with the deflation method.

Hey Arkangel, did you buy these sensors from a legit parts supplier, or on eBay? They do have batteries and therefore a finite shelf life.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:48 PM   #9
Arkangel-77

Hey Guys thank you all for the HELP. They are working now.

The Parts did come from Ebay, I ordered the recommended part Number TPSM's. I had to go to another Tire shop and get them to use there programing tool or whatever it is to help the car learn the new sensors.

I don't know exactly why bleeding the air out of the tires while the car was in learn mode did not work? At the end of the days its all good now. Next time I have to change them I will make sure to go to a shop with a working tool and not try to air bleed method =)

You Guys are the BEST, Thanks for the Help
Old 01-16-2019, 06:32 PM   #10
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Quote:
Hey Guys thank you all for the HELP. They are working now.

The Parts did come from Ebay, I ordered the recommended part Number TPSM's. I had to go to another Tire shop and get them to use there programing tool or whatever it is to help the car learn the new sensors.

I don't know exactly why bleeding the air out of the tires while the car was in learn mode did not work? At the end of the days its all good now. Next time I have to change them I will make sure to go to a shop with a working tool and not try to air bleed method =)

You Guys are the BEST, Thanks for the Help
I'm happy that you got the problem solved!

FYI, you can get the reset tool for $40-$50 and never worry again. Even though my Camaro works with the deflation method, it's a PITA and the tool is worth every penny.

The tool is so much easier than letting air out.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:06 PM   #11
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
What do you mean, their tool is broken? They are a tire shop and it's their job to program the sensors.

In some model year after 2010, the ability to re-learn by lowering the pressure went away. Only the tool will do it. I'm not sure whether that's a function of the sensors or something else in the system. Maybe your new sensors don't work the old way. If so, you can get the tool for around $40 and DIY.

But seriously, you shouldn't have walked out of the tire shop without them programming your TPMS.
It was for the 2012s that it changed.
The feds found that when they extended the law to include requiring TPMS on trucks it became apparent that deflating the tires to trip the sensors was no longer feasible. There were issues in shops where multiple vehicles were being serviced and some would learn the TPMS from another vehicle.

My 2011 can learn with deflating, and I did that once when swapping to my winters. It was a PITA. When spring came I bought the tool on Amazon.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:15 PM   #12
Arkangel-77

Thanks guys. Anyone got a link to that tool? I can just look it up if not =)
Old 01-16-2019, 07:26 PM   #13
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

https://www.amazon.com/Kent-Moore-EL.../dp/B00A3UNYW8
Old 01-16-2019, 08:03 PM   #14
skongolf

Drives: 2011 2SS RS Black Vert
https://www.amazon.com/VXDAS-EL-5044...Series+Vehicle

I bought this and it worked like a charm.
skongolf is offline   Reply With Quote