Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 02-14-2013, 02:10 PM   #15
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged

Was a fun project, and glad all was trouble free on the trip home!!

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:15 PM   #16
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:19 PM   #17
AirManFL
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post

Was a fun project, and glad all was trouble free on the trip home!!

Nice...I wasn't aware of the fender vents being installed. I missed that.

Looks Great!

Rob
AirManFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:21 PM   #18
AirManFL
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2018 ZL1
I guess installed is the wrong word. Fabricated? Cut in? Magically created? LOL

Rob
AirManFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:29 PM   #19
SC2150
Account Suspended

Wait till yours is done Rob!!!! Post up the pictures you guys took while here.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:05 PM   #20
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
The V6 forum is heating up with FI installs ! Love this stuff !
Old 02-14-2013, 10:24 PM   #21
elsololobo02

Drives: 2014 ZL1
So I received a PM form a C5 member asking me what all I had done while at Rx last week and figured I would share it all with the rest of the community.
- I had Rx re-check the installation of my Pfadt stage 4 kit. They re-torqued everything and found that my rear end links were only hand tight. I had some clunking noise from my front sphericals (all bushings were replaced with the spherical bearings) still a little bit of clunking at parking lot speeds but nowhere near as bad as it was.
- Checked my CF Drive Shaft bolts were all torque to 57ft Lbs. I am still getting a little vibration from 30-45 MPH. I PM’d/called the DSS a few months back and was willing to stop by on my way back to Va. Beach to have them check it out and heard nothing back from them. Rx stated the DS is probably out of balance.
- Adjusted my ride height up .5” on the coilovers as my chassis and exhaust were scrapping against speed bumps here in the Va. Beach area. Don’t go to low!
- Installed the EFR 7064 Twin scroll turbo. All I can say is WOW! Various fab work occurred and man was it worth it!! They also replaced my current muffler with a glass pack.
- Finalized the install of the Snow Performance stage 3 meth kit.
- Painted/installed side vents and a new hood. Suncoast Creations sent the incorrect hood (Z-style) and I ordered the bumble bee style. Still trying to work things out with them (Suncoast) to get the correct hood. Not the easiest company to work with even though they sent the wrong hood. Hope to get this resolved as the bumble bee hood would be the Pièce de résistance !
- Ran out of time to get her dyno tuned as I am in the military and had to take leave to get her fixed up. Rx/FSP wanted a few extra days to get her dialed in and I just couldn’t stay down in Fl, although I would have loved to. I will be getting her dyno tune done locally with a live tune from Vince. I will post the final results here in a few. I will also post a build thread to pass on all info to other members.

Last edited by elsololobo02; 02-14-2013 at 10:52 PM.
elsololobo02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:46 PM   #22
elsololobo02

So anyone who is thinking of getting the STS kit. Attached is a photo of my collection of the 3 x STS turbos that malfunctioned over a 18 month time frame. Never buy the STS kit, take my advice and save yourself money and more importantly; time, pass the word!

- Left turbo is a BB T-4 P-trim. Blades have damage and shaft play upgrade to the intial turbo after the GT-35 failed.
- Middle is the original GT-35 JB with blade damage and shaft play, initial install turbo with no other mods.
- Right turbo is a BB T-4 P-Trim. Blades have damage and shaft play, replacement of the first BB turbo from STS.

I also had two brand new STS scavenge pumps fail on top of the intial install scavenge pump and had major oiling issues no matter what STS turbo was installed. STS = Junk., stay away from STS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. On the flip side the STS piping and intercooler is fine but everything else to include their Turbos, Scavenge Pumps, PCV, customer service and tech support are absolutely horrible!!

Thank goodness for Rx!
Attached Images

Last edited by elsololobo02; 02-14-2013 at 11:17 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:39 PM   #23
SC2150
Account Suspended

Any with the STS sytem we are correcting/modifying this steadily to eliminate the issues with the design.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:24 AM   #24
stand-al0ne
Rev Couture

Drives: 2010 LS Camaro & 2013 Rav4 Ltd
Good job Tracy!
Old 02-18-2013, 02:14 PM   #25
Pt_killa

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro V6
elso, do you know who makes the sts turbos? I see that they have an sts tag on the housing but I don't think sts manufactures turbochargers so they may be re-badged.
(Sold Sept 2015) Stock 18" Heritage w/ BFG G-Force ZR tires / Blacked out bowties and tail lights / DIY Remote-Mount Turbo Kit (Precision 6776S .81ar ex. @ 6.5psi, Tial 38mm WG, Greddy Type-S BOV) / RX Catch Can / RX-FTI 3600 Stall / Blue Well Lights / Team LLT
Pt_killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:57 PM   #26
elsololobo02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pt_killa View Post
elso, do you know who makes the sts turbos? I see that they have an sts tag on the housing but I don't think sts manufactures turbochargers so they may be re-badged.

Pt_killa,

I have no idea which company manufacturers their turbos. All the badges show STS. I had asked their tech support guy named Ben Brownie on a few different occasions of who actually makes them. His answer to me was "STS builds them ourselves on site". I have heard from this and a couple of other forums that they could be made in China or South America but I have gotten no confirmation from STS on that.

I do know that whom ever makes them needs to be fired! I have sold one of the BB Turbos to Rx, returned the other one to STS for a charge back so I still have the GT-35 JB with two different housings sitting in the garage. It has shaft play and for anyone with re-build skills I'll sell it to you at reasonable price+shipping. PM me if anyone is interested.

Last edited by elsololobo02; 02-18-2013 at 11:43 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:48 PM   #27
SC2150
Account Suspended

Here is another STS conversion we just finished:

I do not know how to post videos so we will wait for Chris to do that. Exotic sounding though.

Best way to understand the EFR turbos is to read the training manual. Pretty long but jump to the subjects you want info on. You can run an external BOV as well as the integrated one, but the redundancy is not needed.

http://www.turbodriven.com/files/pdf/efr_turbo_technical_brief.pdf

Where were at the tune is close to dead on....the MAF started to fail today when final test driving by Chris (very common on even stock LLT's, and when you boost these your straining it to the max) so even though I have never had a Jet product I feel is worth a dang, we tried the Jet MAF on the syn green twin efr turbo build here this past week and it appears to have a greater flow capacity than the OEM unit, even tough it appears identical and the only difference we can see is the Jet sticker and they mill off the OEM part# ( a re-brand) it may be for a V8 application on some type so were going to try that.

Sent him on his way with it dialed to 12# boost (hits 14 before settling to 12) at 3/4 throttle and the A/F never goes leaner than 12 flat, mostly mid-high 11's so were still a little rich compared to what the other tuning co. is running their FI tunes at and once the new MAF is on it should be mid 12's where we feel it is ideal from a safety standpoint. The DI engines are 11.3-1 CR and can even be run a bit leaner w/out issue as well.

Car is amazing and the sound is unreal as the integrated wastegate & BOV are right at the tail pipe so cars next to you look over, slow down, open the window and want to see what that whine and blow off is from.

Really comes alive in 3rd gear and above and just keeps pulling.

Chris is on his way now to the tail of the dragon (be safe!) and a nice drive home.

No oil leaks, no smoke, no boost leaks, etc. On most of the charge piping we had to remove all and roll beads to keep them from blowing apart as they come with just 3 little dimples from the manufacturer. The clamps are all radiator hose style screw clamps instead of T clamps so we replaced the ones where it was critical. Made a sump system for the scavenge pump, re-did most of the system except some tubing/piping and the intercooler.

The single EFR on MyWorld's build (or Matt's) easily will build 18 plus PSI on the LLT but it is not ever going to be pushed that hard. The 12-14# it's dialed at right now is awesome and were using a custom Alky Control system w/ MAP sensor and far more robust tuner/controller all referenced to boost levels and have no fuel starvation issues yet so this seems to be an under $1000 option for those wanting to make more boost vs the cheaper "off the shel" units we have tried in the past. SO thats promising.

We are going to try the Jet MAF on 2 other builds here right now as well to see if it is really a higher capacity MAF than the OEM unit that has been limiting us in the past.

Here are some pictures:

Alky Control system in this beautiful trunk area:

[IMG]http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii115/RevXtreme1/ChrisKillian00
6_zps133feb28.jpg[/IMG]

The turbo:

The EFR is the most advanced design to date in turbo chargers and is the standard currently with the Indy teams. Amazing design and technology.

The car:

So, the twin turbo version spools up quicker, but either the single or twin version will give all the power the LLT can really handle right now, and Chris is driving app 1200 miles back home with it right now so we wish him a safe & enjoyable trip.
(he is stopping for a short throw shifter on his way home also....the only thing we could reccomend changing, the car is simply gorgeous)

Those that know his car and have followed his issues the past year will have to test drive it when he gets home.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:22 PM   #28
SC2150
Account Suspended

And the latest EFR on a LFX:

From rear the turbo and all piping are above the chassis so no clearance issures:
Tucks up nice with NO pipes below chassis:

Kinda crowded in here....16 cars right now most getting FI.