Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-17-2011, 09:28 AM   #1
BlueDragonVT

Drives: 2011 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS
"Breaking the factory seal" on the paint? - Help Needed!

Edit 9/25/2011:
Got my car back yesterday, and everything looks perfect! can't tell they ever touched it. If anyone else's dealer tries to sell them this line of garbage, don't believe it. They sanded and painted the chipped areas, and clear coated the entire panel, and now she looks good as new!

Original Post:

When I picked up my Camaro, there were a few minor imperfections in the paint job. A couple of chips over the driver's side Camaro fender badge, a chip on the passenger's rear wheel well lip. The dealer also owed me a new rear SS badge and they needed to replace the shark fin, because there was about a 3/4" gap between it and the hood.

I took it in a week ago to get this stuff fixed. When I went to pick it up last night, they had fixed everything, but the paint just didn't look good to me. I can see and feel every spot they fixed in the paint. Basically, they just slapped some touch up paint on the dings, without even trying to smooth it out, sand the chips, fill it level with the rest of the paint, etc.

When I pointed this out to the sales manager, he said that they would be happy to sand and repaint it, but that would involve, "breaking the factory seal on the paint," and that he didn't recommend it. I've never heard of this before, and was hoping someone could tell me if there is any truth to this, or how you guys would handle this. Any paint and body guys out there that can point me in the right direction? What kind of problems could result from breaking the seal on the paint?

EDIT: Pics as promised
Attached Images

Last edited by BlueDragonVT; 09-25-2011 at 10:11 AM.
BlueDragonVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:34 AM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
:BS: there is no "factory seal" on the paint. He's trying to use "scare tactics" to get you to back off and save him from having to repaint a bunch of panels.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:37 AM   #3
heRS
Raised by Wolves

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
"Factory seal" is what they told me when I showed them an imperfection in the paint. You can only see it if the light hits it just a certain way, but it's about 2" round spot where the paint is affected, circular spot/swirl under the paint. It's so hard to find it to show it, it's not worth losing my car for a week.

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:38 AM   #4
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
No such thing as a "factory seal". It's BS and really just means that most fixes, especially theirs it sounds like, will never look as good as the factory paint.

A more skilled painter should be able to touch it up better and wet sand/buff in the fix spot to be hardly noticeable. Someone that is really skilled at touch up should give it a try. If that doesn't fix it, the only other option is to repaint the whole area.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:38 AM   #5
BlueDragonVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
:BS: there is no "factory seal" on the paint. He's trying to use "scare tactics" to get you to back off and save him from having to repaint a bunch of panels.
This is what i was thinking. And even if there was any truth to it, wouldn't the chips have broken any "seal" already anyway?
Old 08-17-2011, 09:39 AM   #6
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDragonVT View Post
This is what i was thinking. And even if there was any truth to it, wouldn't the chips have broken any "seal" already anyway?
Yep. He's trying to weasel his way out of doing warranty work. Who could imagine a dealer trying to get out of doing warranty work
Old 08-17-2011, 09:46 AM   #7
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
Yep. He's trying to weasel his way out of doing warranty work. Who could imagine a dealer trying to get out of doing warranty work
I doubt this falls under warranty work. More like a sales issue. This is not a defect in the paint, but damage and a poor job at fixing it. The sales manager is giving you crap because it will come out of the dealer's pocket, not GMs because warranty doesn't cover it.

I am in a fight with my dealer on replacing a damaged tire. Found a chunk out of the sidewall two days after I bought it. Called the next day to the SM and was told it's not a warranty issue, but bring it in. Dealer is refusing to do anything, yet I pointed out the tire dressing they put on was covering the damage so I didn't cause it. Then they have the balls to want me to come in with the GM survey so I can give them a 100% rating.

It's going back tomorrow so a GM rep can take a look and make a decision on whether someone will replace this tire for free.
bannonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:49 AM   #8
Caspers2SSRS
Caspers2SSRS

Drives: Summit White 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
Take it back, and demand the dealer make arrangements at your favorite/ or highly recommended local shop to have these issues corrected immediately. Its your ride now, not his, your making the payments and you can bet he wouldn't accept a inferior product or service on his car. If he refuses...........make a quick call to your auto lender/ loan maker and ask they intervene on your behalf. You can be assured, their not interested in his excuses, nor securing your loan with a title to a defective product.
Caspers2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:50 AM   #9
papabearcamaro

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 Z71
Sorry to hear about your paint problems. If it were me and there were that many chips and imperfection I would have not accepted delivery of that car.
Why would a dealer even consider letting the sale go through with chips in the paint? A good dealer would not have.
SOLD(Traded for 2012 Silverado Z71 4x4 and 2012 Sonic Hatch.)...2010 Camaro 1SS/RS/LS3,yellow with House of Kolor Tangerine Pearl rally stripes,manual trans.Hurst short throw shifter,4 pack rally gauges,Roto-Fab air intake,Kooks long tube headers with high-flow cats,Borla S-Type catback exhaust,Comp Cam,PRC ported heads,Maggie with 3.6 pulley and 1:1 cog drive,secondary fuel system with 65lb injectors,ADM digital A/F and Boost gauge,Pfadt trailing arms and subframe bushings.614.25rwhp/566.82rwtq on 8# of boost.

2012 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 EX.Cab 4X4 Z71.
papabearcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:05 AM   #10
HookemHorns

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 Red Hot Convertible
Quick way to solve this is, is to tell him that you are going to escalate the issue...
HookemHorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:21 AM   #11
BlueDragonVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by papabearcamaro View Post
Sorry to hear about your paint problems. If it were me and there were that many chips and imperfection I would have not accepted delivery of that car.
Why would a dealer even consider letting the sale go through with chips in the paint? A good dealer would not have.
Actually, the sale went through, both on his side and mine, because it was an IBM in June. Impossible to find. This was the only one even close that met my specs. Next closest were GA and TX.

They have already offered to have me bring it back in and have the bodyshop guys have another go at it, this time with a wet sand, feather, and buff. He basically told me that they would do that if I really wanted to, but that he didn't recommend it. My salesman is supposed to be contacting me today to make an appointment.

Good information so far guys, I appreciate all the help!
Old 08-17-2011, 11:34 AM   #12
mouse

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs conv, L99/Automatic
The correct repair, is to Sand out the blemishes, fill if needed, primer the repaired areas, sand the entire panel, apply correct base coat to repairs and then clear coat the entire panel. do not let them try to spot in the clear, it will start to have a halo effect after a few month and look like crap!. I know it is a lot of work for just a few dings, but it is the correct repair, ( retired Body shop Manager) trust me!
mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:04 PM   #13
rwb2035

Drives: 2004 Grand Prix
My local dealers would make sure it's "warranty" work.. shady bastards!
rwb2035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:13 PM   #14
BlueDragonVT

Pics uploaded as promised. See original post.