Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-30-2010, 09:44 AM   #1
BrianGriffin78

Drives: 2009 GMC Yukon
Just ordered my Adams detail kit

Ok so I just ordered the detail kit, it came out to 286.00 or something after shipping. Was cool to get a 10% discount for the Camaro5 referral. I am hoping to get good results, so will be picking the brain of Adams' folks around here.

I thought I was getting nowhere with trying to detail my car, but realized I needed to go the extra step and use a machine to get most of these scratches out.

Any beginner's advice for me? Thanks!
Old 07-30-2010, 10:13 AM   #2
rd-camaro

Drives: 2010 2LT Blk IOM stripes IO leather
first off, very good buy! dont be hoping that you will get good results because you will DEFINITELY get good results!

not too much beginners advice really...the PC is fool proof and adams system is straight foward...one piece of advice is to TAKE YOUR TIME. it is almost impossible to detail the whole car in one day. better off taking your time and making sure eveything comes out right the first time.

good luck and have fun lol
rd-camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:18 AM   #3
BrianGriffin78

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd-camaro View Post
first off, very good buy! dont be hoping that you will get good results because you will DEFINITELY get good results!

not too much beginners advice really...the PC is fool proof and adams system is straight foward...one piece of advice is to TAKE YOUR TIME. it is almost impossible to detail the whole car in one day. better off taking your time and making sure eveything comes out right the first time.

good luck and have fun lol
I'm going to do one or two panels at a time, to see how the results are and at least if I concentrate in a small area I know I am putting enough time into one section instead of worrying about the entire car. lol.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:21 AM   #4
RedJewel2SS
12.23s@113mph

Drives: 2SS/RS, A6, just a few bolt ons
WATCH ALL THE JUNKMAN YOUTUBE VIDEOS! they help!

best advice for the PC is just make sure you prime the pad with DS before adding more SHR or FMP, do not prime the pad with DS when applying wax, apply pressure when applying SHR & FMP , but apply no pressure other than the weight of the PC when applying wax.

RIP Cammie 7/15/2009 - 4/1/2011
RedJewel2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:34 AM   #5
BrianGriffin78

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJewel2SS View Post
WATCH ALL THE JUNKMAN YOUTUBE VIDEOS! they help!

best advice for the PC is just make sure you prime the pad with DS before adding more SHR or FMP, do not prime the pad with DS when applying wax, apply pressure when applying SHR & FMP , but apply no pressure other than the weight of the PC when applying wax.
Thanks for the tips!
Old 07-30-2010, 10:59 AM   #6
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Thanks for your business and happy to hear your excited to get going. Its a pretty straight forward process, but like was mentioned just be patient and take your time. No one gets it right the first time, I generally tell people aim from about 80% perfect... as you refine your technique you'll get faster and better.

Have fun and happy polishing!! If you need any help you know where to find me.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:16 AM   #7
BrianGriffin78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
Thanks for your business and happy to hear your excited to get going. Its a pretty straight forward process, but like was mentioned just be patient and take your time. No one gets it right the first time, I generally tell people aim from about 80% perfect... as you refine your technique you'll get faster and better.

Have fun and happy polishing!! If you need any help you know where to find me.
I needed to get a polisher, and the PC is the best, because was afraid of making things worse, lol. There is only so much I can do by hand, but some of these marks need a machine.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:50 AM   #8
rd-camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGriffin78 View Post
I'm going to do one or two panels at a time, to see how the results are and at least if I concentrate in a small area I know I am putting enough time into one section instead of worrying about the entire car. lol.
perfect. you do that and you will be a pro in no time lol. like Dylan said above...once you get good at your technique, the process will be even easier and faster then when you first started. i was in your same boat almost year ago and purchased the adams kits too. before i got my BLACK camaro i had no idea bout detailing until i read up on this forums. now i love it when i need to break out the PC and adams stuff . trust me on the whole patience thing i have a BLACK maro .

you better post some befores and afters when on this thread!
Old 08-02-2010, 01:30 PM   #9
Camaro8810

Drives: Black 2010 2LT RS
Here is a question for you guys. Ive had my Camaro for not even a month now and I eventually plan on buying the Detail Kit w/PC. How often do you recommend applying through the process. Monthly? Quarterly? Or is simply as needed depending on how often you drive your car.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:55 PM   #10
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
If you do a good job of preventing new swirls its reasonable to expect doing a good polishing once or twice a year. Also remember that you can spot treat things as they come up. Get a swirl mark or 2 on the hood? Strip the hood down, polish as needed, fresh coat of wax, done. Nothing says you have to do the entire car every time.

My truck is daily driven, it makes trips to the hardware store, moves stuff, occasionally pulls a trialer, and just gets USED... as a result my polish routine is about a 3 times a year proposition. When I had the SS before this, it was babied, and never saw the work this truck does so once a year was about it.

The degree to which you'll need to work the finish will also vary too... if you stay on top of it, practice good wash habits, you will likely only need the occasionally touchup with your finishing products.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:10 PM   #11
BrianGriffin78

Ok so should be getting my kit by Thursday. I am going to start on the panels that have the most marks on it, which would be the hood, trunk, and the panels behind the side rear windows. The roof is pretty good so won't worry about that right now. will just wax the hood so it at least matches the rest of the car.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:10 PM   #12
Betblak

Drives: 2010 BlackneSS
I just ordered some Adams too. A little mix of this n that, and also some Chemical Bros with a couple Megs products for comparison. Can't wait to try it all out. Pretty soon I might pickup a PC but still to scared for that right now.
Betblak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:09 AM   #13
rd-camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betblak View Post
I just ordered some Adams too. A little mix of this n that, and also some Chemical Bros with a couple Megs products for comparison. Can't wait to try it all out. Pretty soon I might pickup a PC but still to scared for that right now.
dont be scared lol. i have never touched any kind of buffer in my life until i got the PC! you cannot mess up anything using the PC. it is so easy to use it should be illegal .
Old 08-05-2010, 07:27 PM   #14
BrianGriffin78

Got my kit today! Cannot wait to try it out. Gonna concentrate on the bad sections then worry about the rest of the car.

Is it recommended to use the polishes in the shade or is it ok to use in Sunlight?