Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 07-14-2009, 04:08 PM   #15
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
www.carbibles.com
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:13 PM   #16
Rtoups

Drives: RJT 2LT
^Car bibles is a great site. Learned a lot from there.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:39 PM   #17
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
howstuffworks is another good website for random stuff.

You can also look for local automotive forums and see if they have a test/tune or install day and head over there. Make contacts and see if you can just shadow people for a day at a time or something. Most mechanics will be very busy and won't want to have to explain what they're doing as they do it, but there should be one or two willing. Or who knows, you might even be interested in interning with a mechanic and see if they have any training programs that you can find out about.

I kinda just learned through osmosis from my parents and friends. Otherwise, spend a few hundred bucks, grab a 80's honda civic or something and take the engine apart yourself. You'll be able to learn the basics of an engine with a cheap car and you can see how things go together.

NOTHING is better than actually seeing a part on an engine come apart so you can put it back together. Also, check out the truck and car shows on speedtv. Trucks! and some other car/truck shows explain how to add on things to your car yourself. They show you step by step so you can kind of get a picture of how things go together that way as well.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:25 PM   #18
big_dog
Future Z28 Owner.

Drives: Future Camaro Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
Everything I need to know on that site. Thanks. Now I just need the real thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
howstuffworks is another good website for random stuff.
I'm hooked on carbible now.

Quote:
You can also look for local automotive forums and see if they have a test/tune or install day and head over there. Make contacts and see if you can just shadow people for a day at a time or something. Most mechanics will be very busy and won't want to have to explain what they're doing as they do it, but there should be one or two willing. Or who knows, you might even be interested in interning with a mechanic and see if they have any training programs that you can find out about.
I tried, they only allow certified techs.

Quote:
I kinda just learned through osmosis from my parents and friends. Otherwise, spend a few hundred bucks, grab a 80's honda civic or something and take the engine apart yourself. You'll be able to learn the basics of an engine with a cheap car and you can see how things go together.
Thats a great idea. I'll have to try that one day.

Quote:
NOTHING is better than actually seeing a part on an engine come apart so you can put it back together. Also, check out the truck and car shows on speedtv. Trucks! and some other car/truck shows explain how to add on things to your car yourself. They show you step by step so you can kind of get a picture of how things go together that way as well.
I used to watch that show, but I never really paid attention to the do-it-yourself part, I was always interested in the final product. I guess I'll pay attention now.
big_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 12:42 AM   #19
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
Go to any auto parts store and buy a Haynes manual. They are super handy to start out with, and they make em for basically every car invented

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
.........we are far from finished.................
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 07:19 AM   #20
big_dog
Future Z28 Owner.

I saw that at the library a little while ago, I'll look into that when I get my car(s)
Old 07-15-2009, 07:32 AM   #21
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapppy666 View Post
... I was always told to put the black cable on a proper ground (either grounding post or some exposed metal area of the frame) but never on the battery itself.... ??
That is a good safety measure. The gases escaping from a charging battery are explosive. When the final jumper cable connection is made (OR unhooked) it will generate sparks. If the sparks are close enough to the battery/escaping gases it can cause the battery to explode. Fairly rare, but not something you want to have happen, battery acid blown all over you and the car can make a bad situation much worse.

Last edited by MLL67RSSS; 07-15-2009 at 07:46 AM.
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 08:29 AM   #22
Bungo
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: 2010 ABM Camaro SS
Send a message via AIM to Bungo
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_dog View Post
[FONT="Century Gothic" I've tried calling a repair shop down the street from me, but they said that they can only have certified technicians at the shop (even though all I wanted to do was hang arround and learn). [/FONT]
try a different shop, alot of shops are more than willing to have a shop b1tch around to learn and sweep and clean up and learn. It helps the tech's out. You may have better luck at a dealership or a large repair shop like a pepboys or something

and the wife says I have to be patient while she gets dressed
Bungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 08:44 AM   #23
big_dog
Future Z28 Owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungo View Post
try a different shop, alot of shops are more than willing to have a shop b1tch around to learn and sweep and clean up and learn. It helps the tech's out. You may have better luck at a dealership or a large repair shop like a pepboys or something
OK, I'll try that. I only called one because I thought all shops would be like that, but I'll try.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:23 AM   #24
big_dog
Future Z28 Owner.

Well, I guess I got all of the info I need. Thanks to all that helped, I will most likely do 95% of this stuff.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:32 AM   #25
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
I learned kinda hard knocks in a way. While I was going to school (and still am) I really didn't know an open end wrench from a 3/8ths drive socket. But during my junior year I was handed down a somewhat wrecked 86 Nighthawk S and tinkered with that. Coupled with just sitting down and reading the manual; I found out that it was much more straight forward than I had imagined.

Now, a year and a half later I was just weeks from rehabilitating my Honda Magna (remember that bike?) before I sold it off. To go from a simple aircooled 700CC motor to a V4 liquid cooled, crazy arse bike was a headache, but it was fun.

The key to learning it all was just having fun, and finding something cheap to tinker on. After that it just became old hat. Try to find something like an old bike, a scrapped lawn mower..and just explore.
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:36 AM   #26
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Does your dad work on your cars a lot? Just give him a hand if he's changing the oil or rotating tires or any kind of basic maintenance. I started doing stuff like that when I was only 8. I still don't know about every single part in a car, but I know the basics about how everything works now.

Other than that, I've always been more of a new car sales guy than a car mechanic.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:03 PM   #27
big_dog
Future Z28 Owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabo View Post
I learned kinda hard knocks in a way. While I was going to school (and still am) I really didn't know an open end wrench from a 3/8ths drive socket. But during my junior year I was handed down a somewhat wrecked 86 Nighthawk S and tinkered with that. Coupled with just sitting down and reading the manual; I found out that it was much more straight forward than I had imagined.

Now, a year and a half later I was just weeks from rehabilitating my Honda Magna (remember that bike?) before I sold it off. To go from a simple aircooled 700CC motor to a V4 liquid cooled, crazy arse bike was a headache, but it was fun.

The key to learning it all was just having fun, and finding something cheap to tinker on. After that it just became old hat. Try to find something like an old bike, a scrapped lawn mower..and just explore.
Yea, now I wish I still had my pocket bike, I could take that engine apart, but I sold it. It was a 49cc engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Does your dad work on your cars a lot? Just give him a hand if he's changing the oil or rotating tires or any kind of basic maintenance. I started doing stuff like that when I was only 8. I still don't know about every single part in a car, but I know the basics about how everything works now.

Other than that, I've always been more of a new car sales guy than a car mechanic.
He doesn't work on cars a lot, just when they need something done. I'll keep that in mind for when he works on it again.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:28 PM   #28
Superman09
Account SNAFU

Drives: 13 Tahoe 79 Scout II 15 1LE
definitely call other shops, there are always shops looking for a "shop b1tch" as bungo said. The shop I work at hires the auto tech highschool guys from the local highschool and even though they are already in auto tech at school they learn alot more just by watching us. So definitely try every local shop, and start out by asking if they need somebody to clean up or mop floors or sweep or things like that, get your foot in the door and then when you get a chance ask one of the mechanics if you can watch him. Also read manuals like some other guys have said Chilton, Haynes, carbibles etc. And if you are worried about messing something up read about the whole thing before you start working and if you have one of the manuals take it to the car with you or print off the stuff from the internet and have it with you at the car. If you need more help than that ask on here, there are some very knowledgeable guys on here who are very willing to help out. Good luck
Superman09 is offline   Reply With Quote