Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 06-30-2014, 08:16 PM   #29
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebrinda View Post
The first time I track a car, or the first time I am on a new track, you could time me with a sun dial. Without all the facts, these comparisons do not mean anything.

LOL so true, I like the sun dial. I have had cars that you had to treat the opposite of others to make them do what you want. Things that made my last car work well at the track, would mean a trip out into the weeds, with the Camaro. Changing cars esp if your going up in power needs to be slowly approached.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:47 PM   #30
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
In WW2, Mustangs, though considered very maneuverable, didn't engage far slower Zeros at lower altitudes and slower speeds unless they were trying to get killed. With altitude and space, the Mustangs were untouchable by the Zeros. Which plane would you rather be flying?
Old 06-30-2014, 09:37 PM   #31
SteelCamaro

Drives: 2012 2SS LS3
This isn't surprising. Many (including Jeremy Clarkson) have stated that a GT86 (BRZ) is the best driver's car out there, and can out-handle a MP4-12C, Exige S, M5, 911 Carrera S, etc...only to name a few. It's not always about horsepower.

Last edited by SteelCamaro; 06-30-2014 at 09:49 PM.
SteelCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:09 PM   #32
SEVEN-OH JOE
Account Suspended

Drives: some to distraction
...and driver-car familiarity counts, as well. Best mod? Seat time...
SEVEN-OH JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:04 AM   #33
Mikebrinda

Drives: Ferrari F430 Spider F1 Azzurro Arge
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEVEN-OH JOE View Post
...and driver-car familiarity counts, as well. Best mod? Seat time...
"Best mod? Seat time." So true. When this mod is placed out of sequence, meeting the gravel or wall is not far behind.
Mikebrinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:34 AM   #34
Doubleblank

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2014 Z28
I've got a July 12th date with the Z28 and an unfamiliar track. No hero laps for me in the Z28. Might push a little harder in the SS. Although I've made so many changes to the setup I'll go easy at first too.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:59 PM   #35
Bigdog@Reno,NV

Drives: 2014 ZL1 SIM
I apologize for the way I titled my thread.. should have said "see local track results".
I am on your side. I have a new '14 ZL1 (that unfortunately has been at the dealership for the past week getting the entire diff replaced and looking for a rather large radiator leak that they can find no trace of... at 800mi) It's just all he heard for three months ZL1 this Z28 that. It's not even like him to even respond like this.
I'll tell you a far worse personal experience than the "track time thread". I am 59, have never personally been on a road course, have not been on a drag strip since I was 17.
I take my car out for some break in miles. Over the higher of our two passes to Lake Tahoe. On the way back I switch to the paddle's and am over the speed limit (not 100mph), but my wife is uncomfortable (seems odd.. she rides a '08 Ducati 1098S 8 month a year and has track time), again it's not the car it's the driver she is worried about.
Long story short, all the way down the pass there is some small, non high performance import right on my bumper. After about a 4500 ft desent I let off and this guy passes me. It's some Ford Focus or something like that. Obviously he has many more trips down this pass than I do.
So, I apologize again for the title or even posting this thread.
Bigdog@Reno,NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:06 PM   #36
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog@Reno,NV View Post
I apologize for the way I titled my thread.. should have said "see local track results".
I am on your side. I have a new '14 ZL1 (that unfortunately has been at the dealership for the past week getting the entire diff replaced and looking for a rather large radiator leak that they can find no trace of... at 800mi) It's just all he heard for three months ZL1 this Z28 that. It's not even like him to even respond like this.
I'll tell you a far worse personal experience than the "track time thread". I am 59, have never personally been on a road course, have not been on a drag strip since I was 17.
I take my car out for some break in miles. Over the higher of our two passes to Lake Tahoe. On the way back I switch to the paddle's and am over the speed limit (not 100mph), but my wife is uncomfortable (seems odd.. she rides a '08 Ducati 1098S 8 month a year and has track time), again it's not the car it's the driver she is worried about.
Long story short, all the way down the pass there is some small, non high performance import right on my bumper. After about a 4500 ft desent I let off and this guy passes me. It's some Ford Focus or something like that. Obviously he has many more trips down this pass than I do.
So, I apologize again for the title or even posting this thread.
No worries It wound up being a fun discussion. Be sure to say hello if you see me around town or at the track. And go sign up to run with Hooked on Driving at Thunderhill. They'll get you on track and having fun.

Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:08 PM   #37
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post
..And go sign up to run with Hooked on Driving at Thunderhill. They'll get you on track and having fun.
Speaking of which, who's signed up for Sept 27/28 at Thunderhill? Can't wait to get back on the full circuit again...
Old 07-01-2014, 03:33 PM   #38
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
Quote:
Originally Posted by brt3 View Post
Speaking of which, who's signed up for Sept 27/28 at Thunderhill? Can't wait to get back on the full circuit again...
I want to run with PCA (I'm still a member ) in two weeks at TH but I'll be honest with you- the 100+ temps are miserable for me. The late Sept dates have a good chance at being reasonable temps. Five mile course again too, hmmm, I'll more than likely be there. Let's do it! lol...

Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 06:12 PM   #39
alaskacamaro

Drives: 2012 2SS 45TH Anniversary
At least you guys have tracks "near" you. The closest actual track to me is probably somewhere in southern Canada or Washington State.

My uncle lives two miles from Willow Springs. Every time I visit I drive past it, wishing I could enjoy it.
alaskacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 06:14 PM   #40
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post
I want to run with PCA (I'm still a member ) in two weeks at TH but I'll be honest with you- the 100+ temps are miserable for me. The late Sept dates have a good chance at being reasonable temps. Five mile course again too, hmmm, I'll more than likely be there. Let's do it! lol...
I agree about the heat! Wine Country Motorsports is having their annual 20% off sale, which has me tempted to spring for one of the cheaper CoolShirt systems.

Five-mile course irresistible. Should have my wickerbill installed by then; see you there! Hoping for flea-free hotel this time...
Old 07-30-2014, 08:40 PM   #41
Flavorwrench

Drives: 2012 ZL1 & 67 RS-SS TwinTurbo
lol@Subaru's
Brian Tooley Racing Stage 2 Camshaft, BTR Platinum Springs, Titanium Retainers, Comp Cams pushrods, ID850 injectors, NGK TR7ix Plugs, My Ported Blower Snout (102mm), My Ported Blower, Nick Williams 102mm TB, Airaid CAI, LPE 2.55" upper, 50mm & 100mm pulley's, Gates Green, Meziere HX Pump, KD Innovations HX, My HX Tank, Saikou Michi Cans, 160º Thermostat, IW Balancer, 9.55 blower pulley, Stainless Works 2" headers w/high flow CATS, Kenne Bell BAP, NGK AFX NTK 722.12 rwh / 675.46 rwt 92 Octane
Flavorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:44 PM   #42
rebelyell22

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
I'm more concerned about "Chris Anderson" in his "Chev Camero"