Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 07-14-2009, 08:14 AM   #1
big_dog
Future Z28 Owner.

Drives: Future Camaro Owner
Learning More About Cars

So, I've been trying to learn more about cars lately, (mechanics and stuf like that) but frankly, I don't know how. I've tried calling a repair shop down the street from me, but they said that they can only have certified technicians at the shop (even though all I wanted to do was hang arround and learn). I really started trying to learn more a while ago when I noticed that, o.k., I'm getting this third gen for my birthday, and if something happens to it, I would like to know what it is and how to fix it without taking it to a repair shop. Then, yesterday, my sisters car wouldn't start in the parking lot of Winn-Dixie. The whole time I was thinking, "Hmmmm, if I need to jump the car, does the red go on positive or does the black go on positive." So we just ended up waiting on my brother. I felt so ashamed getting out of the car.

Any suggestions?
big_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:09 AM   #2
Smokes35

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2006 Ram SRT10
Send a message via AIM to Smokes35
Im 100% positive your local community college has courses in automotive repair... just sign up buddy. Might cost you a few bucks, but youre going to learn a whole lot more than hanging around the average joe.

and technically speaking, it doesnt matter what color lead you put on the positive or negative just as long as the other end of the lead is on the same polarity on the other battery. The world of electricians use color codes them to make it easier... red is positive, black negative. 99% of the time, red is power or "hot" black is the ground. That other 1% someone ****ed something up.
3300 = Scheduled For Production: 6/22/2009
3400 = 7/20 TPW as of 7/18/2009
3800 = Built!!! 7/27/2009
VIN 2G1FT1EW3A9129998
6000 = 8/4/2009 Giggity!
Smokes35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:12 AM   #3
Chevyrocker
Weekend Rockstar

Drives: Depends on the day...
Why don't you go to the book store and pick up some beginners books? I'm there's a "car repais for dummies" or something out there that could get you started. Not saying you're a "dummy", but those books are generally very easy to understand for beginners. The only way to learn is to research and practice.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:29 AM   #4
Scrapppy666

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black/Black
... I was always told to put the black cable on a proper ground (either grounding post or some exposed metal area of the frame) but never on the battery itself.... ??
Scrapppy666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:02 PM   #5
Rtoups

Drives: RJT 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapppy666 View Post
... I was always told to put the black cable on a proper ground (either grounding post or some exposed metal area of the frame) but never on the battery itself.... ??
That's generally what people do, but like someone mentioned earlier, it really doesn't matter what color lead is on the battery and which is grounded, as long as you keep it consistent on the other side of the cable as well.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:19 PM   #6
Paperer
Ragin' Cajun

Drives: '02 Camaro SS - '10 CGM 2SS/RS
I don't know much, but I know some, and that's only because I've researched maintenance I can do myself - Oil change, waterpump, plugs, belts, wheels, fuel pump, fuel filter, all the basic stuff.

Find friends that are into cars and you'll learn a lot. I've pulled motors and transmissions, put turbo's on, even rigged up a bagged truck, and all kinds of other stuff just by helping a friends. But in no way do I consider myself a gear head. As soon as you start talking about motor work, I'm just standing there with a dumb look on my face.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:26 PM   #7
TheLazyBrownDog

Drives: 98 S10, 97 4Runner
I would suggest buying either a Chiltons manual or Haynes for your car. Can be found at most auto parts stores or bookstores. And of course take your time when ever you work on it, tag wires and vacuum lines so you remember where they go, and read ahead before you start the job for special tools and such that may be needed.
TheLazyBrownDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:36 PM   #8
big_dog
Future Z28 Owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokes35 View Post
Im 100% positive your local community college has courses in automotive repair... just sign up buddy. Might cost you a few bucks, but youre going to learn a whole lot more than hanging around the average joe...
They do, but my parents wouldn't take me that far for that. I guess I'll try next month when I start driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyrocker View Post
Why don't you go to the book store and pick up some beginners books? I'm there's a "car repais for dummies" or something out there that could get you started. Not saying you're a "dummy", but those books are generally very easy to understand for beginners. The only way to learn is to research and practice.
I'll try that, but I'm more of the hands on type of guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtoups View Post
That's generally what people do, but like someone mentioned earlier, it really doesn't matter what color lead is on the battery and which is grounded, as long as you keep it consistent on the other side of the cable as well.
Oh, I thought the colors were for a specific charge. I never knew that.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:38 PM   #9
big_dog
Future Z28 Owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLazyBrownDog View Post
I would suggest buying either a Chiltons manual or Haynes for your car. Can be found at most auto parts stores or bookstores. And of course take your time when ever you work on it, tag wires and vacuum lines so you remember where they go, and read ahead before you start the job for special tools and such that may be needed.
I'll remember that when I get my car(s).
Old 07-14-2009, 02:39 PM   #10
Paperer
Ragin' Cajun

It's easier to learn if you have a car that needs to be fixed. It just costs some money, but that's a sure fire way to learn.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:44 PM   #11
big_dog
Future Z28 Owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperer View Post
I don't know much, but I know some, and that's only because I've researched maintenance I can do myself - Oil change, waterpump, plugs, belts, wheels, fuel pump, fuel filter, all the basic stuff.

Find friends that are into cars and you'll learn a lot...
Most of the people I know are apperance type of people. They'd say, "Oh thats your Camaro?! Man, you need to throw some 26's on that thing!" But I'll see what I can do.

Quote:
...I've pulled motors and transmissions, put turbo's on, even rigged up a bagged truck, and all kinds of other stuff just by helping a friends. But in no way do I consider myself a gear head. As soon as you start talking about motor work, I'm just standing there with a dumb look on my face.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:45 PM   #12
big_dog
Future Z28 Owner.

Quote:
It's easier to learn if you have a car that needs to be fixed. It just costs some money, but that's a sure fire way to learn.
Yea, thats what I was going to try to do yesterday, but I was scared I would mess something up. There is so many things wrong with that car.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:00 PM   #13
Paperer
Ragin' Cajun

I know exactly what you mean about the appearance stuff. I know plenty of people that are all show and no go.

But, do you have any mechanical background? My dad is a master at wood work and fixing cars so I kind of grew up fixing things and practically building houses so turning a bolt is natural to me. What's wrong with the car that you're afraid of further messing up? Just Google the problem and get a feel of how to repair it and just do it. Nothing like an old fashioned trial and error.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:15 PM   #14
big_dog
Future Z28 Owner.

My dad is pretty good with cars, he's an eletrical engineer, but I don't really have car related mechanical background,its really everything but cars. I do a lot of building with my grandparents, and we're working on the house now. Mostly building stuff.

And the car, I turned the key to the "ON" position, but didn't turn the engine on, to run the air, but when my sister tried to turn it on, it wouldn't turn on. Plus there was many other things my dad has fixed in the past, brakes, mirrors, steering, and plenty of others. The thing is, back when he fixed all those things, I wasn't thinking about learning, until yesterday. Then when he fixed it yesterday, I had to wash the dishes, so I couldn't go with him.