Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 07-13-2016, 10:05 PM   #701
flyer08
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
I'm staying around 175-178 since adding Tru-cool and B&M pan which is a lot better than I was. These Texas summers are no joke
flyer08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:17 PM   #702
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
No kidding! I don't have a lot of room for a trans cooler, but I'm glad I was able to do what I have so far...

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 12:55 PM   #703
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Signed up for NCM at LS Fest!

First time for me, looking forward to going this time...

-Don
Old 07-18-2016, 02:04 PM   #704
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Well, since I'm gonna track NCM, I figured I'd go ahead and do the ADM trans cooler. Yes, I did get the CSF, but, knowing how things go, this will allow the radiator to do its job cooling the engine better.

Here is the setup from ADM: (I did get 'plugs' for the radiator just as a precaution so I didn't have to cut mine):

I have the instructions, but looking @ the setup, I don't think they are really needed -- just a note on tightening the hose to the cooler (1" wrench) to not overtighten it, and I think we're good!

Since I have the B&M trans pan and dipstick, this should be a no brainer!

I'll do the update over the weekend (with pics!) and test it out!

-Don

Last edited by hammdo; 07-18-2016 at 09:59 PM.
Old 07-23-2016, 12:04 AM   #705
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

OK, installed the kit and all I can say is....

WOW!

Trans temps dropped 20*-25* in this Texas HEAT!

I have pics of the install (VERY easy), and temps while cruising.

Normally, temps ran 175 to 180* while driving, Today, they ran 154 to 156*!

My IAT2 temps went up 2 to 3*, but I can overcome that with a different coolant mix.

Radiator temps stayed the same -- even though I removed the Trans cooling from it, it didn't make a huge difference (I do have the CSF radiator).

So, overall -- fantastic kit, easy install (yes, I had to modify it a bit, but no big deal). The trans hoses were easy to install (1" wrench and 7/8" wrench just to get it snug so not to do damage).

It's awesome, can't believe the difference. Simple to fill (using the dipstick) so, with the Upgraded Pan/filter and Trans Cooler kit from ADM (uses B&M cooler), great setup!

I'll post pics in the morning...

-Don

Last edited by hammdo; 07-23-2016 at 06:27 PM.
Old 07-23-2016, 11:37 AM   #706
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

ADM Trans Cooler Install

So, my install began with removing the front bumper (wheels, splash shields dropped down, and the belly pan):

Here are the steps I used (when I did the LSA supercharger):

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...385577&page=16

Next, if you have the Gen5Diy harness kit (like I do), you need to remove the power line as well as disconnect the connectors:

Now that everything is out of the way, un-hook the trans lines (make sure you have a drain pan) and remove the clips in the line (don't loose those! The new lines have them, but those clips are like gold!):

These are the 'plugs' used for the radiator when you remove the lines (removing the lines, you'll want to 'cap' the ends of the original lines to prevent a lot of trans fluid from leaking):

Now, remove the old lines, cap them and then install the new 'plugs':

Note that I used a ti-wrap to keep those inline and not 'rotate' while driving...

Now setup the cooler. I used nylon spacers as I have the Ron Davis HX. I also had to 'open' the holes on the cooler and brackets so the bolts would fit -- I also had to get longer bolts due to the HX:

Resizing:

Top brackets in place (I did use blue loctite):

Next, the lower brackets, I cut off the 'ends' so I could just bolt it on the bumper. I do have the cooler 'higher' as I wanted to have the HX get more air:

The cooler in place and ready for the lower brackets:

Lower brackets (before and after):

I drilled new holes in the brackets, and then installed them on the cooler. After that, lined the holes up, drilled pilot holes in the bumper, then installed the self tapping screws:

Next, using teflon paste, installed the lines (be careful to not overtighen them, just 'snug' will do):

Next route the lines so they can be hooked up. I did put heat wrap around the hoses to protected them from 'rubbing' and heat from the radiator too:

Lines hooked up and ready for start! (Note how I ti-wrapped them and then we'll check for leaks):

After checking for leaks, then I reversed the steps to re-install, started the car, and then
topped off the oil (trans temps need to be between 84* and 122* when checking the oil. It was hot today so it was already over 100*).

Here are some (rough) pics of the temps while driving (it was 106* today!). You'll need to 'cycle' the transmission (Reverse, neutral, drive, S and then back again for about 2 to 3 second in each gear while checking the oil before driving):

(Trans temp is the top number (154*), bottom number is the Radiator/coolant temps (183*)):

IAT Temps (top is IAT2, bottom is the CAI temp -- that is the aeroforce temp sender in the CAI -- it reads cooler for sure. Ambient was in the 90's at the time):

IAT2 temps are up about 3*, so I'll adjust the intercooler coolant mix to see if 80/20 will help it out.

Very happy with the trans temps! A 20 to 25* drop is awesome in this Texas heat!

-Don

Last edited by hammdo; 08-05-2016 at 08:44 PM.
Old 07-23-2016, 02:17 PM   #707
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Adjusted my intercooler coolant mix to 70/30 to test it out. If that doesn't do it, I'll go 80/20 (that will have the anti-freeze to 15* F. 70/30 is 0*F).

I'll take it out and test that. Will be curious to see if that drops the IAT2 temps any...

-Don

Last edited by hammdo; 07-23-2016 at 04:01 PM.
Old 07-23-2016, 10:07 PM   #708
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

IAT2 dropped 1° with the 70/30 mix. Gonna try 80/20 and stopped there. That will put me close to where I was before the Trans cooler!

-Don
Old 07-24-2016, 12:11 PM   #709
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

OK, mix is done (~80/20 Distilled/Concentrated DexCool -- Freeze point is now 15° -- this car won't see below 40° because of the tires -- and I accounted for a 20° wind-chill) and added water wetter (4 oz since the system holds right @ a gallon). Topped off the reservoir, made sure the pump was primed (as in no more air bubbles. I validated that and let it sit while 'milking' the left and right side hoses). Will test and see if IAT2 temps are better.... Radiator I have set @ -5° (65/35 Distilled/Concentrated DexCool, bottle of water wetter) just as a percaution -- but like I said, not gonna see that with these tires...

Here is my mixing chart:

-Don

Last edited by hammdo; 07-24-2016 at 07:31 PM.
Old 07-24-2016, 05:02 PM   #710
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Just got back -- 106° today -- IAT2 temps were 116° to 118°! Mostly 116°. Looks like the 80/20 mix worked like it should!

Trans temps went to 163° to 165° during this time -- still, the hottest part of the day!

All of these temps were while doing highway driving -- with some take-offs and passing. Recovery was quick.

Radiator was between 188° and 195° depending on slowing to stops etc.

Outside of adding additional intercooler cooling capacity (may look @ how the vettes do it above the splash shields), not shabby at all...

-Don
Old 07-24-2016, 06:52 PM   #711
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammdo View Post
Just got back -- 106° today -- IAT2 temps were 116° to 118°! Mostly 116°. Looks like the 80/20 mix worked like it should!

Trans temps went to 163° to 165° during this time -- still, the hottest part of the day!

All of these temps were while doing highway driving -- with some take-offs and passing. Recovery was quick.

Radiator was between 188° and 195° depending on slowing to stops etc.

Outside of adding additional intercooler cooling capacity (may look @ how the vettes do it above the splash shields), not shabby at all...

-Don
Nice results and a great writeup above... You're correct as well, these Texas Summers are flat brutal....

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 07:23 PM   #712
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Thanks!

Yep 106° Is getting there. Seen it 115° and higher here.

I do like to drive this and don't want to waste the warmer days. We get a few cold days, but not many.

Nothing (there are some that say the waterless may, but I'm not going there) works as well as straight water, but having the mix seems to do pretty well.

-Don

Last edited by hammdo; 08-05-2016 at 09:01 PM.
Old 07-24-2016, 09:44 PM   #713
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammdo View Post
Thanks!

Yep 106° Is getting there. Seen it 115° and higher here.

I do like to drive this and don't want to waste the warmer days. We get a few cold days, but not many.

Nothing (there are some that say the waterless may, but I'm not going there) works a well as straight water, but having the mix seems to do pretty well.

-Don
I've given up trying in the current heat.... Car handles it fine.... Never see over 183-185 degree coolant temps.... However.... No insulation, the big dry sump tank where the back seat used to be, the hoses running along the passenger floor for oil supply and return, and no A/C, nah, I'll pass... I'll drive it once a week or so in the evening for a little while, and other than that I'll wait till cooler weather...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 11:49 PM   #714
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Yep, for me, I take it out when its cooler (like after 9:00 pm ;o). I do that most of the time, but today, I wanted to see what 'real' conditions were like.

I have a 'second' Varimax on order so I'll be 'dualing' the pumps. I just now need a custom reservoir that I'll put in the 'vacated' space in the right side wheel well. That may add an extra gallon to the intercooler capacity. My only concern is more weight in the front, but heck, I like to try new things...

I need to come down there and see this beast ;o)

-Don