Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 11-04-2011, 01:22 PM   #15
JETG

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
Several things come into play, the major one will be the suspension diferences as far as hooking up. If you had/have the same suspension set up as the Zl1 and heads/cam full bolt on, well game on with a Zl1. I am waiting to see what happens with this Zl1 camaro, but more than likely will just keep my SS. The only thing I might get rid of it for would be the new corvette.

J
JETG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:18 PM   #16
KLR ZL1
H-Town Camaro Club Member

Drives: 17 Hyper Blue Metallic KLR-ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by toilets View Post
PLEASE NOTE- Im not trying to start something, but would like to verify my math.

So Zl1- 4120 pounds and 493hp at the tires (taking into account a 15% drivetrain loss which seems standard for GM)
Gives you a power to weight ratio of 8.35

An SS- at 3700 pounds (what my car weighs now) at 450hp to the tires has a power to weight ratio of 8.22

Am i missing something? I cannot believe because of this, that essentially the SS with simple bolt-ons and a cam has the ability to out accelerate a Zl1 because of the weight ratio being lower on the SS

Any input? Does the GT500 have a lower weight ratio currently?
The only way that you could get that low of a weight is take out interior, remove the crash bumpers behind the front and rear bumper covers and put lite weight drag wheels on. I have seen it before with a guy that I know and he just put his on the scale at the track about 2 weeks ago. So it is possible.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:51 PM   #17
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
Apples and oranges here. I have an LS3 that puts down 482 at the wheels. The problem is I can't use it without suspension mods and tires. Also, the ZL1 will make much more torque earlier which will get it moving quicker than my SS. The ZL1 will roll out of the showroom and bust off a high 11 in the quarter mile. It has all of the upgraded drivetrain to hot lap all day without worry. Can't say that with my SS.
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:05 PM   #18
stratman2SSRS

Drives: Lingenfelter Camaro
Don't forget that Torque wins races not horsepower.
The torque of a supercharged camaro will be way more than a stock SS.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:10 PM   #19
91Z28350

Drives: 2012 GT500 SVTPP 2010 Traverse LTZ
2011 GT500 SVTPP, per Car and Driver weighed in at 3751 and has 550 HP, so that equals 6.82 lb/hp. However, as has been said many times, and as I can atest to, the car is SOOOOOO damn traction limited as delivered from the factory, that I believe stock for stock the ZL1 will be moderately faster. Also, though Ford has done a nice job with the suspension as is ( the car is still far more nose heavy than the ZL1), I believe that stock for stock, the ZL1 will have an edge in handling on longer tracks, I am not sure about shorter tracks (though this is based on physics and a lot of reading, I make no claim to being a roadracer). Overall, I am looking forward to seeing them on the road, it is still a killer looking car!!
91Z28350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:42 PM   #20
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by toilets View Post
PLEASE NOTE- Im not trying to start something, but would like to verify my math.

So Zl1- 4120 pounds and 493hp at the tires (taking into account a 15% drivetrain loss which seems standard for GM)
Gives you a power to weight ratio of 8.35

An SS- at 3700 pounds (what my car weighs now) at 450hp to the tires has a power to weight ratio of 8.22

Am i missing something? I cannot believe because of this, that essentially the SS with simple bolt-ons and a cam has the ability to out accelerate a Zl1 because of the weight ratio being lower on the SS

Any input? Does the GT500 have a lower weight ratio currently?
Your math is right. But there are eleventy-billion more factors at work, here.

You must consider gearing and traction among other things...like a PTM software suite...

And understand that the ZL1 wasn't built to simply drive fast in a straight line...it was designed to excel at everything, and never break down while doing it. IMO, I think most of the weight the car has put on is due to the powertrain enhancements. And they don't do a thing except make the car bulletproof.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:48 PM   #21
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post

You must consider gearing and traction among other things...like a PTM software suite...

And understand that the ZL1 wasn't built to simply drive fast in a straight line...it was designed to excel at everything, and never break down while doing it. IMO, I think most of the weight the car has put on is due to the powertrain enhancements. And they don't do a thing except make the car bulletproof.
This. Chevrolet did awesome with the ZL1, simply comparing numbers won't give you a "real" comparison.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:48 PM   #22
mr02Z/28

Drives: 2002 Z/28,1968 Chevelle convert.
My 2004 GTO( when I owned it) LS1/4 speed Auto weighed in @ 3,764... I'm sure the 2010+ Camaro weighs a bit more... My 2011 1SS feels alot heavier, I'm sure it is..
mr02Z/28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 01:43 AM   #23
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post

+1

LS3 SS has the same rear gear ratio as the A6 ZL1. As long as he gets the jump, he could maybe, just maybe eek it out. No chance against an M6 ZL1 since they come with 3.73's (as long as both cars have good drivers).

If all you want is balls out speed, slap a SC/Turbo/TT, cam, LT's and blow the doors off a factory stock ZL1. Just keep in mind, how many of us do you think will keep the ZL1 bone stock?

Can you say pulley change, LT's, CAI and tune?