Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

View Poll Results: What do you think of the style of the 2015 Mustang?
Really like it. 62 21.99%
Undecided, but leaning positive. 80 28.37%
Undecided, but leaning negative. 69 24.47%
Don't like it at all. 71 25.18%
Voters: 282. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-04-2013, 11:58 AM   #127
antimatr

Drives: 4 wheels + engine
I wasn't too crazy about it when I saw the leaked Autoweek issue, but after seeing the TIME magazine photos, I've warmed up to it a bit.

But...it still doesn't grab at me like the '05 which made me want to go out and get one, or the 2010 refresh which made me want to go out and get another one once Ford dropped a proper engine in it (and I got tired of getting the run-around from the local Chevy dealers regarding pricing for the then-new Camaro, but that's a whole other story). I don't find it ugly overall, and from a glance you can tell it's a Mustang (although the pony on the grille really helps this time around), but there are details on the car I do not like at all (the following rant/critique/whatever below is of course, purely subjective and my opinion...).

I really don't like the ass end of the car. The big black insert with the pony in the middle between the taillights just somehow looks really wrong. Also, the proportions of the rear end, especially from the roof to the decklid, almost look like a current-gen Camaro. And the rear bumper just looks too busy-looking. Shame, really. I really liked the 2013-2014 rear end; this new car's back end looks worse than the 2010-2012 models.

I'm not crazy about the front, either. Huge thumbs down on the grille, in both size and shape. Nor am I crazy about the headlight placement, shape, or the LED bars. I'm usually neutral about automakers trying to incorporate their 'brand identity' into their model lineup, but Ford took it way too far here. I'm fine with it on the rest of their lineup, but not here. Not by a longshot.

Finally, while I like the overall proportions of the car (back end aside), I do not like how the car has gone more 'global' in its styling. When I look at it, it looks like quite a bit of Asian and European influence seeped into the car's design (maybe a bit too much). While I understand that this car is going to be sold around the world, I wish that they kept the design language distinctly American (not that I have a problem with a little Euro influence here or there. The '70-'73 Camaro comes to mind, is one of my favorite cars, and it definitely had a bit of European flair to it, yet kept its identity firmly American.).

As far as the rest of the car goes regarding size, weight and more importantly, performance and price (which, despite the above rant on styling, those areas take precedence to me), guess we'll have to just wait and see. But, as it stands now, after seeing this new Mustang, I think I'll hold on to my 2011 a little longer, at least until GM and Chrysler debut their new Camaro and Challenger (or replacement), respectively.

Gone: 2011 Ford Mustang GT Premium (Sterling Gray Metallic, HID/Security Pkg, Brembo Pkg, 6M)
Current: 2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack (Ivory White Tri-coat Pearl, Driver Convenience Grp, Leather Interior Grp, 8A)
Future(?): 2018 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS (Hyper Blue Metallic, NPP, 56R, 6M) or Ford Mustang GT Premium (Lightning Blue Metallic, Active Exhaust, Performance Package, 401A Package, Spoiler Delete, 6M)
antimatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:01 PM   #128
Jekyll-N-Hyde
I put the FU back in FUN

Drives: 1969 SS 396 , 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro-dreamer View Post
The 2014 corvette weighs in at 3298 lbs. I seriously doubt that the new camaro is both going to weigh the same and have the same engine option as the corvette. I really don't see cannibalizing as a good move for GM at this point.

As for this new mustang, I am not a fan of the front or the back. The side profile looks great. I am hoping for a more aggressive front grille for the upgraded models on the reveal tomorrow.
youre looking at a Base v6.

Camaro first shown the 5thgen in V6 trim. I'm sure your V8 will look more agressive.
Jekyll-N-Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:10 PM   #129
SEVEN-OH JOE
Account Suspended

Drives: some to distraction
Quote:
Originally Posted by oachalon View Post
You have to remember the ATS still has quite a bit of areas that can shed weight. Most of the body is still steel except for the hood. The control arms are all steel, etc. GM is not going to go as extensive on the interior and options, so there will be costs cut from there in which they could invest towards weight reduction by changing materials. a 3300-3400 lb Camaro SS is definitely not out of the question at all. Plus when shifting the platform to 2 door you can a lot of times shed weight.

I really don't think it would be difficult for GM to make a 3300lb Camaro SS with the alpha platform.
Cadillac ATS with Turbo-4 Curbs @ 3400 lb. Add a V8, a heavier duty trans/diff/suspension. Add larger wheels/tires/brakes. You'll need a LOT of titanium, magnesium and aluminum to end up @ 3300lb. I doubt the Next-Gen Z/28 will only weigh that little.

If a Mustang GT will weigh 3500 lb or so, that would be an optimistic number for the Camaro SS to shoot for. And that would be 400 lb less than the current SS!

Remember, too, that BOTH Base cars must MSRP for mid-$20s, and seat 4. THOSE are the limiting factors in just how light they'll be.
SEVEN-OH JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:19 PM   #130
LostPony

Drives: 2012 Boss 302
I won't be rushing out to trade my Boss or one. I like some aspects, and not so hot on the rear diffuser or nose. I feel like the nose should be sloped or lower than it appears, but it may look better in person. The diffuser should be black. I may add a new Mustang after the Boss is paid off, but maybe not. That decision will depend on how it drives. I know it will outperform my car in every respect, but will it give that raw feel that I love about my car? That remains to be seen. Raw numbers are one thing, but the experience is what counts for me.

As I see it, the real key to this cars success isn't whether current Mustang guys rush out to buy, or if Camaro and Challenger guys jump ship, it's the ability to attract younger buyers. Buyers that are new to the brand and younger than the current demographic. I'm not sure it will do that. I hope it does, or the future of all the current "muscle" cars could be in jeopardy. I don't see GM or Chrysler spending huge sums to replace their cars if the Mustang fails.

2012 Kona Boss 302 #2758
LostPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:20 PM   #131
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
I'll take a break from bashing Mustangs on the other thread and say this.

I like the fact that the steering wheel has the Mustang on it. I wish Chevy would continue to do that for the Camaro instead of the bowtie that I have. I heard some people complain about the steering wheels on the '10 Camaros. I cannot speak about that because I haven't driven one. But simply from a styling stand point, I like them a whole lot better than mine. Damn the parts bin method. Charge us a little extra and give us an experience unique to the Camaro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostPony View Post
I won't be rushing out to trade my Boss
I hear you. I don't care how amazing the 6th gen Camaro is, I don't plan on giving up my current car. I'd like to maybe buy something else as a dd, but not trade.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:28 PM   #132
NJBourne23
Master of Nothings

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCPX View Post
Why do people care on here. All they do is talk sh** no matter what it looks like.

Some say it looks good while others give their input to parts of it they don't like or feel it's too familiar to older models. One person said they think it's ugly. People are allowed to have their opinions in this forum. Just because we own Camaros doesn't mean you can't admire or dislike other models or other companies designs. If you do not agree maybe you should start a Stalin Forum when you control who posts what. Only allow things you feel are appropriate on the subject you're talking about

2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT/RS
NJBourne23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:29 PM   #133
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
No thank you just not my cup of tea.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:37 PM   #134
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBourne23 View Post
Some say it looks good while others give their input to parts of it they don't like or feel it's too familiar to older models. One person said they think it's ugly. People are allowed to have their opinions in this forum. Just because we own Camaros doesn't mean you can't admire or dislike other models or other companies designs. If you do not agree maybe you should start a Stalin Forum when you control who posts what. Only allow things you feel are appropriate on the subject you're talking about
What? it's possible to like other vehicles than the Camaro that was touched by the hand of god on this forum???? haha
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:38 PM   #135
Stock Boy

Drives: 2014 1LE
I like it better than some of the renderings I've seen. I'm sure I'll warm even more up to it after seeing them for a few months on the street. I'm down with it so far, more than I originally thought I would be.
Stock Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:43 PM   #136
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakespeak View Post
3400-3500 lbs and 500hp stock for the GT by later 2014. Low 12s in 1/4? Looks pretty damn good too, but the 5th Gen Camaro still holds it own on that front IMO.
If they were to put 500 HP in a 3,400ish car it would be 11s stock. Look at the Corvette...460HP 460TQ in a 3,400 lbs package and it has ripped off multiple 11s stock already in the automatic version. Best I've seen was an 11.67 on stock tires.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:46 PM   #137
bowtiefamily

Drives: Chevrolet
Well I am not a fan it reminds me of a BMW M3. However my opinion does not matter because I would not buy one. I only serve the General.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:57 PM   #138
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro-dreamer View Post
The 2014 corvette weighs in at 3298 lbs. I seriously doubt that the new camaro is both going to weigh the same and have the same engine option as the corvette. I really don't see cannibalizing as a good move for GM at this point.
I've read magazine reviews testing the Corvette in Z51 trim and they say those versions weigh a bit over 3,400...so it depends on trim I guess.

That said...I feel you are right. I don't see GM creating an SS at the same weight and power that could run right with the Corvette....but hey who knows. We'll see in a year or two.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:14 PM   #139
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAZ View Post
Attachment 580229

More food for thought.

I can't recall any car with better proportions than this other than the 65 GT350.

A new classic?
The is smoke'n hot. If that's it, nice job Ford. You have another winner.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 01:22 PM   #140
2010-1SS-IBM

Drives: 1998 Nissan, 2010 Camaro
Not looking good to me. The roofline reminds me of a Porche, which looks weird on a non-Porche car. Also, can anyone sit in the backseat? It looks like the rear window is lower than the front seat headrest. The styling seems bland to me, no personality.

I guess I'll have to reserve judgement until I see it in person.
2010-1SS-IBM is offline   Reply With Quote