Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-01-2009, 10:43 AM   #1
mslone

Drives: 1969 vette & 2010 RS/2SS 6-Spd
Factory Security system Question.

OK,

I'm not real familar with all the Security that comes with the Car but have a few questions:

1. is there a facotry alarm? What sets it off?

2. Can the Car be started without the original Keys? Are they sensitive and will not run without them being within a close proximity to the car?

3. If the car was stolen does onstar have the ability to shutdown the engine like lojack? or can onstar just fin its location?

I'm thinking of adding more security but not sure I need it other than good set of Wheel locks...which blows my mind that GM does not have these factory...

Is there any good literature on what the Stack security is? I could not find what I looking for in the forum posts.

Thanks for the Help!

Get A Custom Poster of Your Car 10% Off with this Code: ( Camaro5-10off ) sales@gearheadsdesign.com
Become a Fan on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Housto...0067059?ref=ts
mslone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:00 AM   #2
RJT-Maro
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Supercharged RJT SS!
Send a message via AIM to RJT-Maro
i will answer #2.

No it cant be started with another key becuase this one is laser cut..

idk if you can hotwire it or something..

Good questions
Magnuson TVS 2300 Supercharger, ARH 1 7/8 LT Headers with 3" X-Pipe, Borla S-Type Axle-Back, DMH Low Profile Exhaust Cut-Outs, MTI Racing CAI, Stage 2 Camshaft(227/239 .614/.624) with new springs, Katech C5R Z Timing Chain, LS7 Bowtie Damper, MTI Hot Spark Plug Wires, MTI Racing Lowering Springs and Swaybars, Aluminum Oil Catch Can, 160 Degree Thermostat, MTI Tune. 554RWHP 528RWTQ Built By: MTI Racing Dyno Sheet here
RJT-Maro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:08 AM   #3
Arkanian
"World of Warcraft" Gamer

Drives: IBM 2SS/RS LS3 AFO
I don't have my car yet, but from what the dealer told me about onstar, they don't kill the the motor cause if the car is in motion it could cause serious damage to the motor/or cause an accident that could injur others. What he stated was they basicaly slow the vehicle down so that the Authorities can apprehend the vehicle in a safe manner while onstar tracs it's location... Thats pretty much all I know about the subject, hope this helps....
Arkanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:08 AM   #4
HDDAN

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 2007 HD FLSTC
I would think that a thief could de-activate the Onstar with a hammer shot to the shark fin. I have more security than that in mine. The factory alarm goes off with a door or the trunk opening up. I did not read about a shock or motion sensor in my manual like the gen 4's had. Wheel locks only insure that there will be more damage to your car than without them. A dedicated thief will just steal your car and cut them off with a torch.I would think that the only people that should be worried about their wheels would be those that spent the $4,600,00 for the twenty-ones. GM used to put them on some of the Camaros. My 1998 Z28 came with them from the factory. On my 02 SS SLP told me that they removed them as part of the transformation of a Z28 into a super sport.
HDDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:41 AM   #5
firestone_ss

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
you could start it without a key....if you had some time and a wiring schematic lol
firestone_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:11 PM   #6
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
I can answer #3. On Star can disable the car, BUT what has to happen is you need to notify the POLICE, and they must notify On Star, THEN they will send a signal to your car, IF its running, it will continue to run until its turned off, once its turned off, it won't restart. That is the hot poop on that ?
Old 10-01-2009, 01:17 PM   #7
67 Convertible

Drives: 67 Camaro Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
I can answer #3. On Star can disable the car, BUT what has to happen is you need to notify the POLICE, and they must notify On Star, THEN they will send a signal to your car, IF its running, it will continue to run until its turned off, once its turned off, it won't restart. That is the hot poop on that ?
You are right on one point, but there are two options. They can block the signal so the car cannot be restarted. OR :

From the OnStar website:
If the vehicle is moving and conditions are safe, authorities can request Stolen Vehicle Slowdown, where OnStar sends a remote signal to slow the vehicle gradually.
1100 - 4/28/09
2000 - 5/01/09
2500 - 5/05/09
3000 - 5/05/09
3300 - 5/30/09
3400 - 6/05/09
3800 - 6/18/09
4000 - 6/18/09
4B00 - 6/18/09
4200 - 6/22/09
5000 - 7/01/09
6000 - 7/01/09 It's Home!!
0000 - 7/14/11 Traded in with 24,000 miles. Currently 5th Gen less
67 Convertible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:47 PM   #8
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Hence my Viper 5002 alarm!
with shock sensor
tilt sensor
backup siren with backup battery
pager
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:31 PM   #9
mslone

Drives: 1969 vette & 2010 RS/2SS 6-Spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJT-Maro View Post
i will answer #2.

No it cant be started with another key becuase this one is laser cut..

idk if you can hotwire it or something..

Good questions
Thanks,

My friend owns a Challenger and said that if some one hot wires his car without the key that if the Car does not recieve a signal from the original key within 3 minutes it turns off the engine???

Just wondering If Our cars require the Key to be within 5 feet of the car to remain running?

On the wheel locks I guess its just a good deturant for the low budget non technical thugh looking to just snag your wheels...But is not smart enough to hot wire or by pass OnStar...

Sounds like OnStar can do some pretty awesome things in the case your car is stolen!!! What does Onstar cost to renew?

I realize if a good theif wants your car he can get it with some homework and his honed criminal skills... At that point I guess that's why we have insurance!

I appreciate the feedback, I feel much more secure with this info!

Get A Custom Poster of Your Car 10% Off with this Code: ( Camaro5-10off ) sales@gearheadsdesign.com
Become a Fan on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Housto...0067059?ref=ts
mslone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 03:13 PM   #10
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mslone View Post
OK,

I'm not real familar with all the Security that comes with the Car but have a few questions:

2. Can the Car be started without the original Keys? Are they sensitive and will not run without them being within a close proximity to the car?

3. If the car was stolen does onstar have the ability to shutdown the engine like lojack? or can onstar just fin its location?

I'm thinking of adding more security but not sure I need it other than good set of Wheel locks...which blows my mind that GM does not have these factory...

Is there any good literature on what the Stack security is? I could not find what I looking for in the forum posts.

Thanks for the Help!
1) The alarm only goes off if the door opens or you open the trunk. This does not prevent someone from breaking a window and climbing in and stealing the car. The factory system is for honest thieves.

2a) Me and my parents are friends with the repo men that works for our county and local banks. Yes this car can be started with out the factory keys. In fact ALL cars can be started without the factory keys regardless if it has laser cut keys, smart keys, etc. There is only one system atm that can be bought to prevent this. http://www.ravelco.com/

2b) No this car does not have smart keys thank god. This is the least secure method of locking up your car next to to leaving the keys in the car. Our friends and most car thieves absolutely love cars with smart keys as they are the second easiest cars to steal (the easiest are those who leave the keys in the car). Some cars have a time limit that the keys have to be in proximity to the car or it shuts off. ANY time limit is too long. It only takes someone 30 seconds after the car is started, to drive out of your driveway and hooked up to a wrecker or flatbed. If this is not enough, there is a little black box that can be bought in any repo magazine and even online for roughly $100 that will steal and replicate the code used by the smart keys. With this they now have access to the car at anytime they please with no effort.

An extra alarm is an absolute must for any hot car such as the Camaro. At the minimum I would go with a set of 20 wheel locks, an alarm with 2 way paging, tilt sensor, shock sensor, backup battery, and fail safe starter kill switch. For added security you could also get a 2 stage proximity sensor and the Ravelco linked above.

Also do not rely on LoJack or Onstar. Not only can these be defeated very easily with a hammer but there is also a device that is available to the public that will interfere with their signals and disable them from working.

Quote:
What does Onstar cost to renew? :
the basic is $20 a month or $200 a year.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 03:24 PM   #11
jrboyd_1980
A ***'s Headache

Drives: Everything
Quote:
OK,

Thanks for the Help!
1. There is a theft deterrent system on the car. Not a full alarm. To set it off basically have to open door without key when activated. It has no shock sensoring.

2. The original keys are also magnetized as well. It has a sensor in the ignition cylinder that if doesn't read the magnetic strip may start for a second or two but will shut down almost instantly. If someone could duplicate the key, they would need to program the magnetic sensor as well. Would need original key to do so.

3. The Camaro is equipped with a Fuel pump shut-off that Onstar can shut the fuel pump off gradually and make vehicle in-operatable. The Camaro also has a Ignition kill switch that On-Star can activate that even if they had the key they wouldn't be able to start it. This is a new feature from On-Star that is equipped on all Camaro's.

Hope that helps
jrboyd_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:14 PM   #12
GaryTucker

Drives: 09 Vette GT1, 06 350Z, 82 MSE
Just better hope you have a VERY VERY good installer on your alarm. I've seen some pretty f'ed up installs by "professionals". The wiring harness of these cars is pretty complex and one screw up can make some MAJOR problems.
GaryTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:21 PM   #13
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
I agree! The guy at the place I went to said it was their 1st Camaro - I was VERY nervous! He showed me the reams of papers he had printed out to learn the car's systems. It took about 7 hours for the install! But it all works great! He also hooked up the remote trunk to the AUX button on the Viper 5002! Sweet! I tossed in a few extra bucks on the side for that one!
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:55 PM   #14
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Js View Post
I agree! The guy at the place I went to said it was their 1st Camaro - I was VERY nervous! He showed me the reams of papers he had printed out to learn the car's systems. It took about 7 hours for the install! But it all works great! He also hooked up the remote trunk to the AUX button on the Viper 5002! Sweet! I tossed in a few extra bucks on the side for that one!
How much did the alarm plus install end up costing you?

Where do most go to have their alarms installed? I don't really one some 16 yr old kid at Best Buy doing it.

Also...another question...I'm assuming you have the 2-way pager remote. Do you carry both the factory flip key plus the alarm remote? Sure seems like that would be a big chunk to put in my pocket.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote