Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 01-13-2016, 03:50 PM   #1
cmrl1986

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
APR Carbon Fiber front splitter install question!!

Ok So I got the APR front splitter for Christmas. I took the front bumper off a few days ago to start the install. I searched here and another member recommended cutting out a template and bolting it to the front so that all your holes will line up. Did that, got it done, great. My question is which side of the splitter do I start drilling from? This is not a cheap mod and the last thing I want to do is crack it in some way. Do I drill from the glossy top or the unfinished bottom? The wife is tired of seeing the front bumper in the finished basement so I need some help asap!
Old 01-13-2016, 05:53 PM   #2
TIREKLR

Drives: 2015 zl1
Put tape around your holes in case your bit walks it's will help with scratching and as far as drilling I would start from the side you will see because sometimes the drill will chip or splinter coming out the other side.....might want to let someone else that has carbon fiber experience chime in to be 100%. Good luck post up pictures when you get it on I would like to see it.
TIREKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 07:50 PM   #3
vicnkathy
Account Suspended

Drives: 2014 Subaru Forester Turbo
It's not pre drilled?
vicnkathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 08:11 PM   #4
ZL1Kid_AL

Drives: 2014 ZL1- Summit White M6
It's still a surprise to me they don't pre drill the holes for their customers. After all when we purchase the splitter from APR we buy one exact spoiler for the exact model of car we will be putting it on.. If it was a universal fit then I can understand the drilling, but it's a ZL1 specific spoiler. The simplicity and peace of mind of a bolt on and go spoiler would well be worth another $100 atleast to us customers I'm sure
Old 01-13-2016, 09:21 PM   #5
cvp33
America FVCK Yeah!

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE A10
One of the toughest mods.

cvp33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 10:45 PM   #6
Aero_Sport_Concepts
aerosportconcepts@gmail

Drives: '15 1SS-RS/1LE (RRM)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicnkathy View Post
It's not pre drilled?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1Kid_AL View Post
It's still a surprise to me they don't pre drill the holes for their customers. After all when we purchase the splitter from APR we buy one exact spoiler for the exact model of car we will be putting it on.. If it was a universal fit then I can understand the drilling, but it's a ZL1 specific spoiler. The simplicity and peace of mind of a bolt on and go spoiler would well be worth another $100 atleast to us customers I'm sure
Our Splitter Extension Kits all come fitted to the model of the car and Pre-Drilled with Hardware included. When i first started out i too was shocked that the other products available did not come Model specific and Drilled with installation instructions.

Let me know if i can help anyone out.

Kurt
Old 01-14-2016, 08:11 AM   #7
winterboy8

Drives: 2015 ZL1 Blue Velvet Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero_Sport_Concepts View Post
Our Splitter Extension Kits all come fitted to the model of the car and Pre-Drilled with Hardware included. When i first started out i too was shocked that the other products available did not come Model specific and Drilled with installation instructions.

Let me know if i can help anyone out.

Kurt
Just checkout out your site and you have very nice parts. I really like the rear diffuser, might have to save up for that one.
Old 01-14-2016, 08:28 AM   #8
tonyfred

Drives: 2013 ZL1-Victory Red-Auto
I drilled the holes from the bottom and had no issues at all.
Attached Images

tonyfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 10:02 PM   #9
Aero_Sport_Concepts
aerosportconcepts@gmail

Drives: '15 1SS-RS/1LE (RRM)
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterboy8 View Post
Just checkout out your site and you have very nice parts. I really like the rear diffuser, might have to save up for that one.
Thank you. The Rear Difusser really looks great up close too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyfred View Post
I drilled the holes from the bottom and had no issues at all.
Ya. The ZL1 is the easiest to install. Unlike the 1LEs the ZL1 has a couple dozen factory screw locations that can be reused. The 1LE Splitter need to have Fasteners to hold it on. Screws just don't hold up in the Plastic Splitter over time.
I've found that the ZL1 Front assembly is so strong you really don't need the Support Rods either. They are more aesthetics then anything.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 01-15-2016, 02:28 PM   #10
split

Drives: 14 ZLONE
i have the apr splitter in my garage right now. Although the "no pre-drilled hole" deal kind of sucks, it also has its benefit in that you can adjust how far out you want the splitter to stick out. My bumper is coming off tomorrow...tho i am pretty sure it doesnt need to to install this. I used the box they shipped in to cut out a splitter template then hold it up and rub with a pen against the bolts holes to get where the bolts line up. i will not be sticking the splitter out very far and wont be using the support rods.
split is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 04:07 PM   #11
rcandiloro

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by split View Post
i have the apr splitter in my garage right now. Although the "no pre-drilled hole" deal kind of sucks, it also has its benefit in that you can adjust how far out you want the splitter to stick out. My bumper is coming off tomorrow...tho i am pretty sure it doesnt need to to install this. I used the box they shipped in to cut out a splitter template then hold it up and rub with a pen against the bolts holes to get where the bolts line up. i will not be sticking the splitter out very far and wont be using the support rods.
I have mine on without the support rods. Been about a year and not a single issue.
rcandiloro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 05:56 PM   #12
GetYouOne

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
Love my APR splitter!
GetYouOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 12:08 PM   #13
split

Drives: 14 ZLONE
hey guys i did not get any instructions with my splitter...finally got the bumper off...i see 18 screw holding the OEM one. I only received 12 bolts...what goes where? thanks split
split is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:39 AM   #14
NW Sam

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Garnet Red
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero_Sport_Concepts View Post
Thank you. The Rear Difusser really looks great up close too.

Ya. The ZL1 is the easiest to install. Unlike the 1LEs the ZL1 has a couple dozen factory screw locations that can be reused. The 1LE Splitter need to have Fasteners to hold it on. Screws just don't hold up in the Plastic Splitter over time.
I've found that the ZL1 Front assembly is so strong you really don't need the Support Rods either. They are more aesthetics then anything.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Hi,
I am going to install one of these splitters on my car. Do we reuse the existing holes? Do you supply longer bolts to install? Thanks, Sam.
NW Sam is offline   Reply With Quote