Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-22-2019, 01:53 PM   #15
Crusin
2010 Camaro 1LT/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS, 2017 Silverado
Yes 200 is a lot, looks to be 5 mm. Maybe you can find a replacement crank out there. Keep us updated. Good luck hope you hear some good news.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:29 PM   #16
V6Vega

Drives: Chevy Vega
Just stumbled upon these. The traverse was running the LLT. Can anyone confirm if the crankshaft is the same?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...rankshaft,5292

*Edit* apparently they have ones for the LFX out of the Impala. I'm just have no experience with this folks or a refurbed crank
V6Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 07:52 PM   #17
Crusin
2010 Camaro 1LT/RS

That year is probably the LLT which probably uses the same crank.
Check this out: http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-engines/lfx/
Old 01-22-2019, 07:55 PM   #18
Crusin
2010 Camaro 1LT/RS

Wouldn't that be sweet. Here is the suppliers web site with a phone number. You could call and see what they say. http://www.crankshaftsupply.com/
Old 02-16-2019, 08:39 PM   #19
V6Vega

I just went ahead and ordered one of those refurbished cranks. I'll let you all know what it looks like when it shows up.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:46 AM   #20
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
Since you've got it apart could you post on back on the timing chain condition vs mileage of the motor?

The Camaro and Impala 3.6 got the upgraded chains in '12 (but not the Traverse thru '15, way to go GM) but its been a source of concern for me. Are the screens showing any debris/sludge? I believe they are the only way to lube the chains and between those blocking off along with potentially too thin an oil in hot weather the failure rate seems to go up.
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:54 AM   #21
Crusin
2010 Camaro 1LT/RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6Vega View Post
I just went ahead and ordered one of those refurbished cranks. I'll let you all know what it looks like when it shows up.
Did your crank arrive?
Old 02-22-2019, 01:30 AM   #22
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
You can't get new cranks for these engines? WTF?
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 04:31 PM   #23
V6Vega

xstuntman I didn't see anything to suggest that the timing chain had any issues with oiling or wear. Whoever blew up the motor, had changed the oil at least once, and probably used some additives in a vain attempt to make the "tick" of a spun bearing go away. So I probably wouldnt have found any sludge that would have been a good indicator. Since I have the engine apart, and it likely had oiling issues with that spun bearing, I will be replacing the timing chain regardless.

The crank has arrived. Showed up in a box, packed with expanding foam. Came with a set of oversize king bearings for crank and rod journals. Says it was ground .10 undersized, and according to my cheap calipers, that's correct.

Old 02-23-2019, 10:26 PM   #24
Crusin
2010 Camaro 1LT/RS

Cool, and great it came with the correct bearings.

Yeah, the timing chain in the LFX engine is suppose to be good for 200,000 miles. I don't know if I'd trust that, but it does not show any necessary maintenance for it.
Old 07-30-2019, 01:53 AM   #25
V6Vega

Hey all, it's been a while since I made my last update, but I also haven't made any progress to speak of. Things have been busy, and money being directed elsewhere.

Currently I have 2 questions for you all,

1: Does anyone know the height of the intake manifold? (from the intake ports on the cylinder heads, to the top of the manifold)

2: Anyone know if the bell housing bolt pattern is the same between all the 3.6l high-feature v6's?

Although I would prefer a genuine manual gearbox, I do a lot of driving in traffic, up and down hills, so im debating on an auto. Ive pulled a rearend out of a jag sedan for it, with 3.58 gears. Also planning to run 255/60/r15's for an o.d. of 27in.

The thought was if I went with one of them fancy 8-speeds out of the newer ats-v, I could be cruising at 75mph with 2200rpm. (They have a 0.85 and .065 overdrive for 7th and 8th) I'd not do the paddles, but come up with something that looks like a stick, but just push/pull.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:44 AM   #26
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
Nothing else has an LFX / 8L computer system. The cost to convert would be astronomical, I'm sure. If you're looking at the ATS-V and really want to try for something, see if you can grab an ATS-V bellhousing for the TR6060. Otherwise if you want an auto I think you should just grab a 4L or 6L.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 06:51 PM   #27
V6Vega

Hey all, if any of you are near the north SF bay area amd want any parts from this engine, let me know.

I'm going to be time and money ahead to buy another engine and get this project moving. Never mind my sanity.

Still going to run an LFX, just not this one.