Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 10-15-2019, 11:23 PM   #15
608RS

Drives: 2015 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
Initially I did the GTO one and it helped but the Tilton reservoir is better. I believe I posted the template if not I might be able to locate it still. I got it from another member but it was an excellent base for the bracket I made.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
curious on why you feel the Tilton is better than the GTO? the fact that it holds more volume?

2015 Camaro 2ss, NicKey Performance built/tuned
608RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 12:54 AM   #16
lemontwist

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
no real mods(cat back vararam hurst shift) on my car the only time the trans acts up is when i try to shift fast at like 6000 rpm's from 1st to 2nd i did redline fluid and it didn't really help. even the mustangs have a problem with the 6060. i thought tick had the fix but from the post here that didn't work.start the clip a 950

Last edited by lemontwist; 10-16-2019 at 09:38 PM.
lemontwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 05:26 AM   #17
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Quote:
Originally Posted by 608RS View Post
curious on why you feel the Tilton is better than the GTO? the fact that it holds more volume?
Yes, if I remember correctly you go from 1 ounce to 4 ounces. The fluid doesn't turn to shit as fast and it just works better.

Old 10-16-2019, 05:29 AM   #18
Firefighter

Something about this transmission you have to gorilla shift it. There's no gentle mode with it until it's well broken in. I'm at 60K miles and it's just getting kinda smooth. I only ever had 3rd gear weirdness though.

Old 10-16-2019, 08:56 AM   #19
608RS

Quote:
Yes, if I remember correctly you go from 1 ounce to 4 ounces. The fluid doesn't turn to shit as fast and it just works better.
thanks, i've also been challenged with 2nd gear grind in my car since day 1 of owning it brand-new (along with GM & my dealer pretty much telling me to "deal with it" and "it's just cold, warm it up more". I also had the clutch pedal not 100% returning back to the "top" position too. I've been though literally EVERY fix you could think of. My last and final mod was the Tick Master Cylinder which finally fixed both issues for me (gear grinding & clutch pedal)...but then again all of the following changes were performed previously which makes me believe everything is finally working together greatly:

TSB PI0486C: Intermittent Clutch Pedal Low / Not fully Returning.
McLeod RST twin-disc clutch w/Monster release bearing sleeve on my slave cylinder
GTO reservoir
AMSOIL manual trans fluid
AMSOIL DOT 4 hydraulic fluid

i would also notice my clutch fluid would get VERY contaminated with normal driving and light spirited driving within a very short amount of time. Ever since i swapped out the stock master cylinder with the Tick replacement, my fluid now looks as-clean as it was changed on my last service (roughly 5k miles ago). i was starting to learn towards swapping to a built auto since this gremlin has been haunting me for 4+years. thankfully the car has been problem-free and i'm happy with my TR6060

just for added-protection i might look into that 4-ounce reservoir if i ever have returning clutch pedal problems

Old 10-16-2019, 09:34 AM   #20
Firefighter

I have a short list of upgrades when the clutch gets replaced. I'll add the Tick Master Cylinder to it.

As for the demeanor of the 6060 I think much of the complaints come from people who previously drove import vehicles which at least give the impression of being more refined. I learned how to drive on an old Datsun pick up but would regularly drive an old Chevelle and C3 both with Muncie 4 speeds in them. There's a definite difference in feel. Then I went 20 years or so driving autos like a schmuck when I got my 1LE there was a learning curve but I realized early on that this trans liked to be manhandled, like I said gorilla mode.

I 100% agree there's room for improvement and some of the mods do help. I found acceptable improvement with the separate reservoir and the fluid change but when I do the twin disc and throw out bearing I'll also do the extra tail shaft bearing, an MGW shifter, the Tick bleeder and Master. I'll also probably run the Tremec MTF.

Last edited by Firefighter; 10-16-2019 at 12:51 PM.
Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:12 PM   #21
Clarkstar

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
I have some valuable info to add. I originally had a wilwood resivour, the 2 piece one, plastic. It leaked. I bought the aluminum one in the photo. I swear the grinding was worse. Not by alot... but it definitely changed. From only changing the reservoir.... ??? This didn't make sense.

I emptied it the other night. I drilled out the 1/8 npt fitting and hose barb. It essentially now flows more fluid from the tank... this made a huge difference. I could not get it to grind today.... I hope this was the missing link in the combo.
Attached Images

2013 1le- Katech 416 short block, TSP stage 4 cam, LOD intake, cnc heads by Wegner Automotive, Nick William's 102mm T.B., Pedders coilovers. Performance street alingnment by Justin at Lake Country Alignment and dyno tune by Late Model Throttle.
Clarkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:19 PM   #22
Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkstar View Post
I have some valuable info to add. I originally had a wilwood resivour, the 2 piece one, plastic. It leaked. I bought the aluminum one in the photo. I swear the grinding was worse. Not by alot... but it definitely changed. From only changing the reservoir.... ??? This didn't make sense.

I emptied it the other night. I drilled out the 1/8 npt fitting and hose barb. It essentially now flows more fluid from the tank... this made a huge difference. I could not get it to grind today.... I hope this was the missing link in the combo.
Do you have a link to that reservoir? Also maybe a pic or two of the install?

Sent from my SM-T837V using Tapatalk
Old 10-18-2019, 06:49 AM   #23
Clarkstar

Quote:
Do you have a link to that reservoir? Also maybe a pic or two of the install?

Got it on Amazon. DNA clutch tank....

I'll try to get some pics tonight...
2013 1le- Katech 416 short block, TSP stage 4 cam, LOD intake, cnc heads by Wegner Automotive, Nick William's 102mm T.B., Pedders coilovers. Performance street alingnment by Justin at Lake Country Alignment and dyno tune by Late Model Throttle.
Old 10-18-2019, 08:36 AM   #24
Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkstar View Post
Got it on Amazon. DNA clutch tank....

I'll try to get some pics tonight...
Thanks man.

Old 10-18-2019, 08:44 AM   #25
608RS

Quote:
Do you have a link to that reservoir?
found the part on Amazon, i'm also curious on how this looks installed.

https://www.amazon.com/DNA-Motoring-.../dp/B07K9F54VK

Old 10-18-2019, 08:51 AM   #26
Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 608RS View Post
found the part on Amazon, i'm also curious on how this looks installed.

https://www.amazon.com/DNA-Motoring-.../dp/B07K9F54VK
Holy shit it holds a pint of fluid!

Old 10-19-2019, 10:56 AM   #27
Clarkstar

Here it is. I drilled and tapped 2 holes in the strut tower brace...
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2019, 10:16 PM   #28
Firefighter

That looks good. I'll have to consider that set up.