Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JUICEDMOTORSPORTS
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 10-18-2019, 09:56 AM   #1093
tstodii

Drives: White 2015 Z/28
Sorry to hear about your shoulder!! It still amazes me how much progress you have made and the quality of the build. Most just don't do it like this anymore and it's sad! Keep it up. I'm rooting for you, sir
tstodii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 07:49 PM   #1094
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstodii View Post
Sorry to hear about your shoulder!! It still amazes me how much progress you have made and the quality of the build. Most just don't do it like this anymore and it's sad! Keep it up. I'm rooting for you, sir
Thanks, all will be good.

Didn't get anywhere near as much done as I was hoping to, working under the car with my shoulder like this is quite a challenge. Trying to bend the lines and drill and tap the holes for the clamps was quite difficult and painful but I managed to get them done. Tomorrow I will straighten the lines as they are a little sloppy as is and then get fluid in it and bleed the brakes. I don't think I'm going ahead as planned with the fuel line. It is much stiffer than the brake lines and I honestly don't have the strength in my arm to do it, so I'm going to run hose for now. When the car is running I will take it to a friends shop and deal with the lines then. I'm hoping I can deal with it easier when on a rack, if not I'll have him do it for me. Now this leaves me with another issue to deal with I wasn't planning on. When I ordered the 4L80E I chose the automatic/manual valve body option. I was going to buy a harness that would allow for full manual shifting but I can barely turn the steering wheel on my Suburban with my left arm, let alone the Buick with manual steering, so I will have to buy a controller so I can use the transmission in full auto. So until I get one I won't be able to move the car under it's own power. I know the body adapts to situations like this but it's hard to imagine struggling through work for another 10-15 yrs as I planned. I can't even move a bike around in my shop never mind riding. Sucks getting old. lol
Attached Images

CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 08:00 PM   #1095
mlee

Drives: 2019 Crush ZLE
Bummer with the shoulder/arm situation, but so cool this bad boy is about to roll down the street. Hang in there, it's truly a work of art.
Old 10-18-2019, 08:08 PM   #1096
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Bummer with the shoulder/arm situation, but so cool this bad boy is about to roll down the street. Hang in there, it's truly a work of art.
Thanks, I still have a bunch of sheet metal work to do but mechanically it's so close. Shouldn't be much longer before it sees daylight.
Old 10-19-2019, 07:08 PM   #1097
CFD

Well, I almost have brakes. Spent some time straightening out the brake lines and also did some work on the pedal. Originally there was a threaded bung welded to the side of the pedal as seen in the first picture. Because of how wide it is you have to turn the pedal sideways to install it but now with everything together you cannot do that and I didn't want to enlarge the hole in the floor so instead I cut it off, made a new bung, notched the brake arm and welded it in so it is not as wide. It fit's in nicely now. Went ahead and started bleeding the brakes and of course ran into a snag. People often ask me why I make everything instead of buying it, the reason is everything I buy sucks. lol. All the lines I made are fine, the only two lines I purchased came in a kit with the proportioning valve and the rear one, which feeds the front brakes is weeping fluid, it's as tight as a bulls ass so either the flare on the line is bad or the master cylinder is bad, that is possible because it's a rebuilt unit of an early Vette. Tomorrow I'll have to climb under and remove the line to see what the problem is, if it's the line I'm not sure my tubing bender can make that tight of a bend, if it's the master cylinder I'll have to take it out and get another one, it sucks to remove but I may have no choice.

I'm researching various controllers for the transmission, I asked here what people are using and have had a couple of responses so looking at those but there's a lot of options. I'll be ordering which ever I decide on Monday and if the brakes are straightened out by then it will be able to be moved under it's own power, getting close.
Attached Images

Old 10-20-2019, 07:45 PM   #1098
CFD

Spent some time on the Buick today. I removed the brake line that was leaking, I couldn't see anything wrong with the male flare in the cylinder but the flare on the line didn't look to be completely formed so I put it in the flaring tool and formed it properly, I think, lol. Installed it and didn't see any leakage so I bled the brakes and have a solid pedal. Now we have stop and go pedals, soooo close. I do have to double check to make sure the line isn't still weeping under pressure and if all is good top of the brake fluid. That's fun. I didn't want to cut an access hole in the floor so I have to fill the master cylinder with a squeeze bottle and mirror. I also threw a couple of front end panels on so I could decide on a location for the fan controls. I started to put them on the radiator support so they would be hidden but in the event of issues with the relay I decided it to be better to keep it simple and put them in an easily accessible place so decided on the inner edge of the front fender. I did this for several reasons. One accessibility, it also keeps the wiring shorter and more importantly it will have it's own separate harness. I also decided to make another through hole from the cabin and re-route the lighting wiring through it. As it is now all the wiring is exiting one hole, as I am adding circuits it's becoming congested , this will illuminate that and when done, the engine controls, starting circuit, lighting and ignition will all have dedicated harnesses making diagnostics or reairs much easier in the evnt they are needed. I'm going to sandblast the two side panels so I can get them in epoxy primer then I can assemble the front end, it makes it easy to remove the whole thing, including fenders, in one piece when bolted together and I will have to remove them to get it out of the shop, it's a tight fit and a bit of an angle to access the door. Although there is so much room around the motor it should keep under hood temps down but regardless, in case you haven't guessed, the two big openings on the sides of the front end panels will feed the air cleaner., They were more ornamental with the factory inserts. I also decided on a US Quick Shift 4 controller for the transmission, I'll be ordering it tomorrow.
Attached Images

Old 10-21-2019, 05:45 PM   #1099
CFD

Had a chance to order the transmission controller and a tps , should be here in a few days I would think. Today I spent time re-organizing my shop a little to get the car close to the door. I also started to get the side panels and trunk ready for sandblasting. Much easier said than done. The sound deadening used in 1938 is indestructible !!!!!! I scraped so much my blisters have blisters, I was going to burn it with fire but I think it would have been hazardous for the whole town. It looks and I'm willing to bet I'm right, considering 1938 technology , some sort of asbestos panels placed over are tar based glue but what ever it is/was, it was meant to last forever. I have to remove it all before sandblasting but I won't be able to scrape it all off so I'm hoping something I have kicking around may help dissolve it. When taking the trunk handle/latch was a reminder of how sometimes the simplest things work best, so basic but works perfectly after 80 + years.
Attached Images

Old 10-22-2019, 06:47 PM   #1100
CFD

It's hard to believe I spent most of the day getting the trunk lid ready to sandblast. The tar like glue got real hard after being exposed to the air overnight. In a way it's a good thing. It was difficult to scrape but because it was so hard it almost splintered and looks like shards of crushed coal. After scraping all I could I poured laquer thinner on it, let it soak a little and kept scraping until I got all the material off. I had a slim jim kicking around for years and it served the purpose well. I could get all the ways between all the panels with it, the hooked ends were useful in pulling the sound deadening from between the panels. The metal is so well preserved under the old matting. Tomorrow I can send it along with the aprons out for sandblasting.

I'll tell ya' I've had some serious pain in my day due to many, many injuries, some that were life changing but the pain from getting a drop of laquer thinner in an open blister makes you want to grab things and break them. How can such a small thing hurt so damn much, sent me through the friggin' roof. LOL
Attached Images

Old 10-24-2019, 06:41 PM   #1101
CFD

Looks like I'll be spending some time on sheet metal work for a day or two. Got everything back from sandblasting so I want to get them in epoxy primer as soon as possible. The aprons are nearly perfect. The trunk came out really good, there is one corner that needs some work, there was a mouse nest packed in there and it most likely held moisture in that one area. There is more work fixing other peoples crap again. There is/was a dent in the trunk, it's easily accessible with a dolly but who ever did the work before drilled 5 holes and used a dent puller on it. Now I'll have to fill the holes and do the hammer and dolly work. I also decided to fill the holes in the rear fenders that were used to mount the running lights, I'll be doing something else.

The Acculink TPS came in but not the module so I got that set up. It is a really good design, they also had an optional bracket already made for a Quadrajet with a Lokar cable so installation took about 10 minutes.
Attached Images

Old 10-25-2019, 07:34 PM   #1102
CFD

Spent the day on sheet metal. I filled all the holes on the rear fenders that were used for previous lighting. I put a small bend in them so that the body lines will be steel not body filler. There were a lot of holes so it was time consuming. I also cut off one of the lower tabs, someone welded a washer to it as a half assed repair, I just made a template off of the other side so it is now as it should have been. I did some dolly work and have the fenders close to where they should be as far as over all shape. I'll do the remaining dolly work when they are mounted on the car, I have some unfinished work on the back of the car, the fenders needed to be finished and mounted before I could do it so I think that's next on the list. Should have the transmission controller tomorrow as well.
Attached Images

Old 10-26-2019, 06:55 PM   #1103
CFD

Spent a good part of the day getting the sheet metal ready for primer. I should be able to get it all done tomorrow with the exception of the trunk. Instead of dealing with it later I think I will do the needed repairs that require welding now, not really that much to do.

The Quick 4 transmission controller came in today. I didn't have time to do anything but unpack it. It's got more wiring than the whole car does. lol.
Attached Images

Old 10-27-2019, 08:06 AM   #1104
mlee

Drives: 2019 Crush ZLE
Moving along quickly now... tough job on that trunk.
Old 10-27-2019, 06:11 PM   #1105
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Moving along quickly now... tough job on that trunk.
It is moving along, hope to keep up at this pace. I took a good look at the trunk today and it won't be bad.

I had a few small repairs to do, for some reason someone cut out a bit of one of the fender supports making it quite weak so I repaired that as well as replacing a missing bracket on one of the fenders then got everything in primer sealer.
Attached Images

Old 10-28-2019, 09:33 AM   #1106
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
So close!

Gonna be a beauty...

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote