Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Emblempros
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 10-18-2019, 12:16 PM   #15
Vegas Bound

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
My vote is rocker arm trunions.
TBD 1/4 mile
Vegas Bound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 02:26 PM   #16
zlathim

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Bound View Post
My vote is rocker arm trunions.
I agree. I'd spend an hour pulling the rocker covers to eliminate this at the very least. It will be easy to spot or figure out by wiggling each rocker arm.
BMR cradle & diff bushings, trailing arms, toe rods & upper control arm bushings
Hotchkis sub-frame brace
Stop Tech Z-23 brakes
4.10 gears, Eaton Truetrac, LPW diff cover
Best 1/4 mile 12.073 @ 115.68 mph 3,300 ft DA
zlathim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 05:24 PM   #17
AngryXInch

Drives: 2010 camaro SS
Ok, so i finally got a scanner here, and tried to pull codes. I do not think the scanner is accurate as zero codes appeared. Will begin pulling the valve covers and everything as soon as i get a spare day, and will let everyone know how it goes. I appreciate all the help everyone, and if anyone has anymore ideas in the meantime please let me know
AngryXInch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 08:04 AM   #18
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 NPP BRM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryXInch View Post
Ok, so i finally got a scanner here, and tried to pull codes. I do not think the scanner is accurate as zero codes appeared. Will begin pulling the valve covers and everything as soon as i get a spare day, and will let everyone know how it goes. I appreciate all the help everyone, and if anyone has anymore ideas in the meantime please let me know
If you’ve got a CEL there’s gotta be code. Get yourself a cheap $20 or less wireless OBD2 reader
( Android or Apple depending on your cell phone) like the one below that you can get in a day, then get a free cell phone app for it like Torque and you can read the code(s) and clear them too.

https://www.amazon.com/Foseal-Improv...%2C146&sr=1-11
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 01:07 PM   #19
AngryXInch

Ok, so I have the valve covers off right now. Nothing appears to be visibly out of place, nor any excessive amount of play with any of the rockers. Guess it’s on to the timing chain cover unless anyone has has any more ideas?

Is there any chance it could be electrical?

Last edited by AngryXInch; 10-21-2019 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Question
Old 10-21-2019, 02:23 PM   #20
AngryXInch

Ok, well attempted to start the car up after putting valve covers and everything back on, it fired up. The noise that followed I can only explain as a super fast, very loud rattle. Different than the noise before, now I’m completely lost. If that gives any other ideas, I’m all ears at this point. Will probably start looking for a shop today, but really hope I can avoid that and paying someone else for what I would prefer to do myself, and I’m pretty broke as is.
Old 10-21-2019, 03:06 PM   #21
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
Do you have a current check engine light? If so, something from the computer has turned it on. It might just be caused by something else in the motor, but I wouldn't do anything until I resolved this. If you have a check engine light without codes, you might have something in the ECU or electrical going on.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 05:00 PM   #22
Sparko

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro SS
if you're trying to keep cost down by not having a shop diagnose this, I'm not sure why you gave up at checking rockers. Compression, timing, and spark are simple low cost checks that don't take much time. Have you drained any of the oil out since this problem surfaced, is there any metal in the oil? A recording of the noise would also be of help, engines can make a lot of different noises.
Sparko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:05 PM   #23
AngryXInch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
if you're trying to keep cost down by not having a shop diagnose this, I'm not sure why you gave up at checking rockers. Compression, timing, and spark are simple low cost checks that don't take much time. Have you drained any of the oil out since this problem surfaced, is there any metal in the oil? A recording of the noise would also be of help, engines can make a lot of different noises.
I have not drained the oil yet, i tried going back to get a recording of the noise today after it fired up the first time, but it would not start again due to battery being low. I will be recording it as soon as i get a jump, and will post a link.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:07 PM   #24
AngryXInch

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
Do you have a current check engine light? If so, something from the computer has turned it on. It might just be caused by something else in the motor, but I wouldn't do anything until I resolved this. If you have a check engine light without codes, you might have something in the ECU or electrical going on.
Yes, there is a check engine light on right now, and there were no codes at all that appeared on the scan tool i used.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:30 PM   #25
Sparko

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryXInch View Post
Yes, there is a check engine light on right now, and there were no codes at all that appeared on the scan tool i used.
Does this scanner show pending codes? I don't tend to lean towards a burnt ecu bar some specific situations.
Old 10-22-2019, 04:40 AM   #26
Camaro__ss

Drives: 2013 L99
There should be a code if the Check engine light is on.
Camaro__ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 06:36 PM   #27
Sparko

Any updates?
Old 10-28-2019, 11:34 AM   #28
AngryXInch

Ok, finally got a day I can get started with everything, hit a bit of road block tho. Drained the oil, noticed 3 substantial metal fragments in the oil. They aren’t huge, but definitely noticeable. It’s beginning to look more and more like something I’m not going to be able to do at home, with the equipment and work area that I have

Tags
engine trouble, help me, idle, pecking, timing chain