Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-21-2019, 01:27 PM   #15
samman11

Drives: 2011 Camaro ss Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
I know you want someone else to do it, but the install is really rather simple to do yourself. I did mine on jack stands in my garage and I'd never installed headers before in my life.
And the tune? Sure, I guess you can buy a hand held unit as well, but I'd rather have the professionals tune it while it's right in the shop.
samman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 04:36 PM   #16
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Originally Posted by samman11 View Post
And the tune? Sure, I guess you can buy a hand held unit as well, but I'd rather have the professionals tune it while it's right in the shop.
I was speaking about the header installation. Standard exhaust shops can install headers. For a tune a quality speed shop/tuner should be used. Handheld tuners can get some advantages, but they won't beat a custom tune.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 11:05 AM   #17
samman11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
I was speaking about the header installation. Standard exhaust shops can install headers. For a tune a quality speed shop/tuner should be used. Handheld tuners can get some advantages, but they won't beat a custom tune.
What would you say is the average amount an exhaust shop should charge for putting in headers if someone brings their own? And, if that were done, how much should I expect to pay a speed shop for a professional tune? I called a local speed shop and for putting on headers and a tune on my 2011 SS, the price is $3200 plus tax. I nearly soiled myself! He also stated that would give me an additional 30 horsepower. Seems like a lot of money for a little boost.
Old 10-22-2019, 11:07 AM   #18
G8One2

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS
I trust no one working on my car. Far too many hack mechanics out there that won't even take a torque wrench to things, or even pay attention to detail for that matter.
G8One2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 01:29 PM   #19
samman11

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8One2 View Post
I trust no one working on my car. Far too many hack mechanics out there that won't even take a torque wrench to things, or even pay attention to detail for that matter.
I hear ya. But, to do work on a car properly without breaking your back, it helps to have a lift. Laying on the driveway with the car up on jacks is not my idea of fun.
Old 10-22-2019, 02:27 PM   #20
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
What would you say is the average amount an exhaust shop should charge for putting in headers if someone brings their own? And, if that were done, how much should I expect to pay a speed shop for a professional tune? I called a local speed shop and for putting on headers and a tune on my 2011 SS, the price is $3200 plus tax. I nearly soiled myself! He also stated that would give me an additional 30 horsepower. Seems like a lot of money for a little boost.
I hope they were including the price of some Kooks/ARH/ Stainless Works headers w/ cats in that price! I've heard $400-$800 for header install and you're looking $400-$600 for a quality tune. I think I paid a little over $500 for my tune sheet I installed headers. Hell $3,200 was almost as much as my cam swap and tune (L99 car) and I know I got a lot more than 30hp out of that.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 02:31 PM   #21
MeanV8

Drives: Chevy Camaro SS, Chevy Corvette,
Quote:
If that is just for a tune and Labor on installing Headers. RUN AWAY AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!!!

Dan
MeanV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 06:29 PM   #22
jnmn

Drives: a black 2010 1SS on sunny days :)
Quote:
Laying on the driveway with the car up on jacks is not my idea of fun.
Hmm

It is to me!
jnmn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 06:48 PM   #23
G8One2

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS
There's not much under the car that's hard to do. Transmission would be the only thing i could think of, that would be too difficult to do on your back. But hey, some people got more money than sense. They'd rather pay someone to do an install, usually at the cheapest they can find, and if an issues arise because of someones sloppy work, they jump on the forum here asking silly questions. Just because you pay someone to do a job, doesn't mean they did it right or did any kind of quality work. They just want your money. Id much rather do the job myself and save a TON of cash, i can otherwise spend on other mods.
G8One2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 09:44 PM   #24
BehindBlueI's

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnmn View Post
Hmm

It is to me!

Enjoy it while you can. Once you can forecast the weather with your joints it loses a lot of it's appeal.
BehindBlueI's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 09:50 PM   #25
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS LS3/A6
Quote:
Wow. How the hell any shop can offer that quote with a straight face is beyond me. Maybe the headers are gold plated and the tune comes with a 'Happy Ending'?

Man, stay away from that dump.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/RS LS3 - Heads milled .015, Melling HV 10296 Pump, TSP Longtubes (Catless), X-Pipe, FM Outlaw Axle Back (w/MBRP GFX Tips), Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 Catch Can + GM 1LE Clean Side Separator, Hinson Wires/NGK TR6IX Plugs, 160* Stat, Vitesse Throttle Controller, STOP-TECH Slotted/Cross Drilled Rotors w/Hawk HB453Z.585 Performance Ceramic Pads, ZL1 Leather Steering Wheel, ZL1 Add-Ons Wicker Bill Spoiler, SLP Front Splitter - Megan Racing Adjustable Coilovers, Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s - LS3 Swap Complete!!! Breaking in w/ VR1 10w-30
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 03:09 PM   #26
samman11

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8One2 View Post
There's not much under the car that's hard to do. Transmission would be the only thing i could think of, that would be too difficult to do on your back. But hey, some people got more money than sense. They'd rather pay someone to do an install, usually at the cheapest they can find, and if an issues arise because of someones sloppy work, they jump on the forum here asking silly questions. Just because you pay someone to do a job, doesn't mean they did it right or did any kind of quality work. They just want your money. Id much rather do the job myself and save a TON of cash, i can otherwise spend on other mods.
Well, I'm also thinking of getting 3.91 Gears put into the rear differential. Now THAT is not an easy task in someone's driveway! I'm hearing 6 to 9 hours WITH A LIFT.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:48 PM   #27
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Geez! I think you guys ragged him so hard, you scared the OP off.
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 12:10 AM   #28
lemontwist

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6

i just did the heater core myself and i have a warranty. i just couldn't bring myself to let someone else get intimate with my car.
lemontwist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
headers, indianapolis