Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Jason 98 TA
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-19-2019, 01:36 PM   #15
George-CZ

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3 and 1978 Type LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danial View Post
I won't be doing any drag racing, just like the look of the tire coming out to and just past the edge of the wheel well.
Just like I have.
Before that, it was really terrible...

The difference is almost unrecognizable.

With spacers It looks really better.

George-CZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 02:18 PM   #16
CamaroBarb

Drives: chevy Camaro
Unfortunately any change in spacing including putting taller tires on loads the bearings harder. Think of the tire as a lever, the farther away from the bearing center point equals more load on the bearing and axle. As you drive down the road and steer the car the tires act like levers acting on the bearings and axles. Its the same effect as lifting a large stone, Get enough leverage on it and you can move it. Now do I think a small spacer will change it enough to damage the bearings or axles? NO but I would be concerned with how well the wheels center on the axles using any kind of spacer AND the extreme load on the wheel studs. Normally the wheels forces are transferred via the axle hub not the studs. Once you move the wheel off the hub you are asking for extreme catastrophic failure you will never forget.
CamaroBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 03:12 PM   #17
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
before you all get yer panties in a wad...a little readin up fer ya and the reason why I have ZERO problems after using them for OVER 3 years and I daily drive...except in the snow of course lol...

from H&R's web site: http://www.hrsprings.com/products/detail/trak

TRAK+® Wheel Spacers are manufactured from a special proprietary alloy specifically developed for H&R that is lighter and has a higher tensile strength than 6061-T6 billet aluminum. H&R TRAK+® Wheel Spacers are hubcentric and feature a full contact hub—just like the factory hub—for even load force distribution and lateral support.

ya'll have a nice safe weekend now, ya hear!

l8tr

PEACE
Old 10-19-2019, 03:12 PM   #18
George-CZ

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3 and 1978 Type LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroBarb View Post
Unfortunately any change in spacing including putting taller tires on loads the bearings harder. Think of the tire as a lever, the farther away from the bearing center point equals more load on the bearing and axle. As you drive down the road and steer the car the tires act like levers acting on the bearings and axles. Its the same effect as lifting a large stone, Get enough leverage on it and you can move it. Now do I think a small spacer will change it enough to damage the bearings or axles? NO but I would be concerned with how well the wheels center on the axles using any kind of spacer AND the extreme load on the wheel studs. Normally the wheels forces are transferred via the axle hub not the studs. Once you move the wheel off the hub you are asking for extreme catastrophic failure you will never forget.
I don't think it's going to be that bad.
Yes, the bearing will be a bit more loaded.
However, it will be such a small difference that it will be lost in the bearing safety factor. (counting my 2 cm spacers)

Finally, what is the difference between an empty car with spacers and a fully loaded Camaro without spacers ...?
George-CZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 03:37 PM   #19
bertha01

Drives: m5
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
Just FYI; wheel spacers are usually less than what you want , a wheel adapter is more what your talking about as far as measurement.... so Check out the information form summit here on this search and its informative description, also maybe the video of the Monte Carlo breaking one drag racing which BTW many tech inspections would not allow for drag racing BTW. As you most likely should they notice them have to show how well they are made and if they are installed right..with certification IMO
Me myself I just use wider wheels and wider tires the Extreme contacts I am running now are 1 1/2 " wider than stock and fill the wheel well better and grip better on 10 1/2" rims. Longer studs are inherently weaker IMO, and spacers are generally like less than 1/2" IMO.... Good Luck The cheaper the spacer/adapter the more like its a real cheap under engineered lump of metal.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...7442ED34258A1E

Me I like this guy..LOL https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...D2&FORM=VDQVAP
nice
bertha01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 02:06 PM   #20
2013ZL1FUN

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Convertible A6 BRM
Spacers Bad Idea

They will cause more debris to be tossed onto your paint. Unless you have flaps.
Old 10-21-2019, 03:27 PM   #21
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Camaro Barb speaketh the engineering gospel. Yes, the moment arm (lever) is relatively small but over time - and at the least convenient time, the hub and or bearings may let you down.

Barb, I presume this is the case at least somewhat with an offset rim too?? Thx.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:25 PM   #22
CamaroBarb

Drives: chevy Camaro
Yes and tire height is a bearing killer too, you'd be surprised someone puts big meats on their jeep and the lever effect from the taller tires eats the bearings up.
CamaroBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:48 PM   #23
silversleeper
Some ol' dude

Drives: '13 ZL1
I was looking into this topic last year because I'm considering installing wheels that would need a bolt pattern adapter.
Another C5 member posted how he had troubles with his spacer/adapter with vibrations until he took them off. Need that centering bump machined into them.
There is a place that makes them for about $70 each but you need to tell them the exact mm dimensions of you wheel because what it's advertised as isn't always what it measures out to.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 12:19 AM   #24
Danial

Drives: Chevy Camaro SS, Mustang GT, etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013ZL1FUN View Post
They will cause more debris to be tossed onto your paint. Unless you have flaps.
Ah yes...An eventuality I hadn't even thought of. Definitely something to keep in mind.
Danial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 11:48 PM   #25
SimpleGreen

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS
Wheel spacers (adapters) are perfectly fine if you buy quality spacers and install them correctly. Stick with H&R or Eibach. I have Eibach 25MM (1") spacers front and rear. I bought my car used but the dealer had brand new tires on it so I had no interest in spending the money on the tire/wheel combo I would 'like' to have but I wanted a wider look similar to the 2013 1LE I had before. Install them per direction, use just a dot of red loctite on the spacer lug nuts, torque the lugs on the spacers and the wheels to factory spec and hit the road. Not a bad idea to double check them after a couple hundred miles. After that, check them with each tire rotation or oil change. They are not gonna roast your wheel bearings. Folks run wheels with this much offset all the time. My 2016 Jeep Wrangler has had 1.5" wheel spacers on it for 40K miles now. It's been on and offroad all over the country and the spaces are the least of my concern and have caused no issues.

I also bought factory ZL1 style splash guards for the front and rear of my car to help with road rash from the wider stance. Cheap ($60 or so) and tasteful.
Attached Images

Old 10-23-2019, 07:43 AM   #26
mikeman

Drives: 2015 Camaro
Spacers that are wheel and hub centric are fine. I thought about doing this, but would never go flush or slightly past the edges. It looks great, but even with the stone guards you will still get nicks/chips in the paint on the sides with a setup like that.