Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 06-27-2010, 12:43 AM   #85
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratman2SSRS View Post
Here is another picture of the rear lower controll arm. I put some green painters tape on it, just to confirm where it was hitting. It only hits under heavy loading though.
Good Info Stratman... so to confirm you are still running the stock "long" stems. Correct?
Old 06-27-2010, 09:21 AM   #86
stratman2SSRS

Drives: Lingenfelter Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Good Info Stratman... so to confirm you are still running the stock "long" stems. Correct?
Yes they are the stock "long" stems.
I have not found where to buy the short stems up here in Canada.
Have any of you solved this problem using the short stems?
And where did you get them?
And what was the part number?
stratman2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 09:56 AM   #87
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Be very very careful replacing your TPMS sensors. There are a lot of us experiencing significant issues with after market sensors.

I am taking my car back in this week to have the OEM sensors taken out of my stock wheels and putting them in my new wheels. I put after-market sensors in the new wheels and they simply keep losing their programming with the car's tire pressure system. See these threads for more information:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89589
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91669

You might want to consider having the OEM sensors mounted inside your wheels instead of getting after-market sensors.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:03 PM   #88
mlee
CamaroFans.com

WoW... sorry to hear you're breaking them down again Emma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratman2SSRS View Post
Have any of you solved this problem using the short stems?
I bought stock sensors, but used the bands to install them (See Post 73). I filled the hole with a regular short valve stem. It works great..

Hopefully manufacturers will find another place for the hole... D2Forged recommends using the bands too.

Last edited by mlee; 06-28-2010 at 08:32 PM. Reason: added quote
mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:56 PM   #89
SSinatra Andretti
2$$

Drives: 94 ss, 2008 gxp, soon to be2011 2ss
try to zip tie the brake line to the frame
Old 06-28-2010, 09:31 AM   #90
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Quote:
WoW... sorry to hear you're breaking them down again Emma.

I bought stock sensors, but used the bands to install them (See Post 73). I filled the hole with a regular short valve stem. It works great..

Hopefully manufacturers will find another place for the hole... D2Forged recommends using the bands too.
mlee,
I don't think it has anything to do with how the sensors are mounted, but rather that there is something either in the car's software or in the after-market sensors that is not allowing them to communicate properly. I'm just trying to figure out where the issue is at.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:50 PM   #91
Berean

Drives: Truck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berean View Post
Here's something I don't get that maybe someone can clarify.

On some of these aftermarket wheels, why did they go with a 2 valve stem setup?

Seems like the TPMS could be the outside valve stem and we wouldn't have all these brake line problems.

Am I missing something?

Anyone?
Berean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:05 PM   #92
Nine Ball

Drives: 1969 & 2016 Camaro SS
Berean, I'm not fully understanding your question. The OEM stems are simply too long, and placing them on the rear drop location like most aftermarket wheels have will make them collide with the brake lines. This is usually more evident on lowered cars, as lowering changes the relative location of the brake line to the wheel hoop.

Some wheels use two valvestems, one to use for air, the other to mount the sensor internally in the tire. Just depends on where the stem hole is located, some places do not work well with sensors.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:52 PM   #93
Berean

Drives: Truck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Ball View Post
Berean, I'm not fully understanding your question. The OEM stems are simply too long, and placing them on the rear drop location like most aftermarket wheels have will make them collide with the brake lines. This is usually more evident on lowered cars, as lowering changes the relative location of the brake line to the wheel hoop.

Some wheels use two valvestems, one to use for air, the other to mount the sensor internally in the tire. Just depends on where the stem hole is located, some places do not work well with sensors.

Thanks. What I'm getting at is, can't the TPMS valve stem also be used to put air in the tire? If so, why are there two valve stems? Why not just have one on the front with the TPMS and do away with the inside stem altogether which would eliminate the problems.
Berean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:22 PM   #94
stratman2SSRS

Drives: Lingenfelter Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berean View Post
Thanks. What I'm getting at is, can't the TPMS valve stem also be used to put air in the tire? If so, why are there two valve stems? Why not just have one on the front with the TPMS and do away with the inside stem altogether which would eliminate the problems.
The aftermarket wheels are really nice and clean looking from a design point. They usually try to hide the outer valve stem in a way as it won't look bad.
But where they do put it, it is not a good spot to put the sensor, and the stock long valve stem will look goofy. The sensor fits better in the drop zone I believe.
Unfortunatly not many of the aftermarket wheel companies are test fitting their wheels on the car.
stratman2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:31 PM   #95
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
mlee,
I don't think it has anything to do with how the sensors are mounted, but rather that there is something either in the car's software or in the after-market sensors that is not allowing them to communicate properly. I'm just trying to figure out where the issue is at.
Sorry... I fixed my post. I was trying to answer a different question and forgot to quote it.

Sure don't want to get this thread mixed up with the TPMS frequency thread...
Old 10-09-2010, 08:27 AM   #96
carfansince73

Drives: Carefully
I just put on my new wheels on the back (still have to get the front tires mounted on the rims) and the stock TPS valve stems clear the brake lines by maybe 1/2". I'm concerned about the front sensors hitting something.

EDIT: they do in fact hit once the car is on the ground. :( :( :(
2010 1SS RS, LS3, SIM/Black, painted rally stripes, AAC sidemarkers, Sunroof, B.A. sound sys; 20x9.5 & 20x11 SV1-C5's; MGW short shifter; Hotchkis Track Pack; Corsa catback; Kooks 1 7/8"; ADM Street; Magnacharger TVS2300 - 548rwhp/512rwtq
1100- 2/18/09; 3800- 6/15/09 VIN#18308; Delivered 6/29/09!!!!!

2014 CTS-V Sedan, Black/Black, Auto, Recaros, Ultra-view, Red Brembos. Stock

Last edited by carfansince73; 10-10-2010 at 08:58 PM.
carfansince73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 08:39 AM   #97
carfansince73

Drives: Carefully
Called Discount.. Going to get the bands for all four wheels. Anyone get bands and get them to work successfully?
2010 1SS RS, LS3, SIM/Black, painted rally stripes, AAC sidemarkers, Sunroof, B.A. sound sys; 20x9.5 & 20x11 SV1-C5's; MGW short shifter; Hotchkis Track Pack; Corsa catback; Kooks 1 7/8"; ADM Street; Magnacharger TVS2300 - 548rwhp/512rwtq
1100- 2/18/09; 3800- 6/15/09 VIN#18308; Delivered 6/29/09!!!!!

2014 CTS-V Sedan, Black/Black, Auto, Recaros, Ultra-view, Red Brembos. Stock

Last edited by carfansince73; 10-10-2010 at 08:57 PM.
carfansince73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 08:59 PM   #98
Bretts
SS

Drives: 2015 2ss rs
Quote:
FINALLY... got my wheels on today...

Original plan was use bands to mount the Sensors inside and install short stems.

I took two different types of stems with me to try first (See Pics) Same ones Nine Ball recommended in an earlier post.

- My installer didn't like the long 90 deg metal stems. Didn't want to risk something catching them even if they were turned parallel w/ the wheel. He said their main purpose was for mesh wheels when you need it to stick through for front access.

- The short metal stem looked promising, but as you can see in the pic it didn't quite fit although I think this would be perfect for most folks. I got them for 36.00 from Nick at BFX Auto. His service was awesome and he overnighted them to me.
http://www.bfxauto.com/BFXautosport-Accessories-s/3.htm

Ended up just going with the bands and a regular short rubber stem which worked great.

I'll post up more pics in my Journal...http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...t=80769&page=5
Might need these on my new set!
CCW sp16a track set, BTR stage 3 cam and kooks longtubes with high flow catsLocks@7.5 degrees castor and radius arm inserts, Ride Tech 2coilovers JDP upper control arm bushings BMR lower knuckle bushing Bo White throttle body3.91 gears Spohn del-sphere toe link and trailing arms Prothane subframe bushings
Bretts is offline   Reply With Quote