Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-07-2012, 08:26 AM   #1
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
The heat is on... and it affects driving

I pride myself on slalom driving... living in the mountains, with about 25 miles of winding road as part of each day's commute, I take advantage of the course--- I mean, route--- and get a lot of slalom driving.

Yesterday was remarkably hot in SoCal. At one point, I saw 112 deg. showing on the exterior temp display. I was mindful of the fact that at these temps, both pavement AND tires soften up... but I still pushed it just a little too far because of, I'll admit it, some impatience on my part.

Got stuck behind what we locals call a "rolling roadblock." A bimbo in the passing lane stayed side by side with a slow--- very slow--- driver who was driving in his correct lane. Now, you can drive as slow as you like in the right lane... but when you get out into the left lane, you need to GTF out of the way.

Mile after mile after excruciating mile I was stuck behind her. She was driving an adorable little New Beetle, with an adorable little flower in the dashboard flower vase. That damn flower just taunted me endlessly, bobbing away at me, with bimbopants singing along to Debbie Gibson hits. For mile after mile after excrutiating mile. Other cars backed up behind us, as more and more drivers who wanted to get somewhere were held up by this idiot.

Finally, she let her guard down, and a space opended up between her and the other vehicle. The space was the length of Camaro + one inch, plenty of room for me to get on with my life.

I squeezed through, and kept on it through the next turn. And, I really had no intention of performing a four wheel drift.

But, I did... road- to- tire adhesion was way down, thanks to the heat. In typical driving, I regularly take that turn at a much higher speed, but not yesterday... The car drifted and floated, all due to near- liquified tar barely holding the gravel together, and tires that were soft like party balloons.

I got off easy, didn't cross the fog line or touch the gaurdrail... just rode that one out, no brakes, no crazy steering. An observer would have thought it was a top notch execution of an intentional four wheel drift... my boxers were privy to other information.

Anyhow... keep it in mind in the heat. I HAD it in mind, and STILL almost bought the farm.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:53 AM   #2
Mutant Racer

Drives: 2015 2LT Torch Red C7 Stingray
Weeeeeeeeeee you went for the slip n' slide!

Did you become strangely content? The brain will release chemicals to help you accept your fate when you really think it's going to happen or release Dopamine as a reward for pulling out of it.

Near crashes oddly enough have me more calm and cool than at any point in my life.
Mutant Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:58 AM   #3
caper

Drives: 2010 IOM 2ss/RS
yeah, i seen 113 on mine...and friday is supposed to be the hot day lol...
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:59 AM   #4
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
Awesome. I'm very impressed how you managed to not cause a pileup squeezing in there or not sliding right into the path of another car possibly killing them , yourself and the people behind you who hopefully would have had enough time to stop for the wreck you caused.

Cool story bro.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:06 AM   #5
RJTV6A

Drives: 69 Camaro I6 no prob,11 V6 big prob
A Train horn would be very useful in this situation. Good story and thanks for sharing.
RJTV6A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:44 AM   #6
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
You got the Pzeros? Those things should stick to the road like glue in that heat. In the cold...it's another story.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:48 AM   #7
heRS
Raised by Wolves

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
Hopefully she got the hint and returned to the ford lane where she belonged.

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:48 AM   #8
CUONCRS

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro SS/RS
Sounds more like the road than the tires. I autocross on these PZeros, and the temps here hit 105+ at most summer events. We're on concrete, though, which doesn't get greasy and loose like asphalt. But I've been to other sites and the asphalt there is slick.

Nice write-up, though. I like your writing style.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:58 AM   #9
amz
Factory Correct

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
I treasure those kind of moments. We all have them, some more than others.
amz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:04 AM   #10
need4spd

Drives: 2012 2SS Black on Black
Very nice write up.. you can be a writer my friend. Good driver too.

current ride - 2012 Black on Black 2SS RS w/ sunroof, muffler delete with SLP exhaust tips, rotofab cai, gm strut brace, BMR 1.4 drop springs all four corners, Stainless Power 1 7/8 long tubes, Hex Vents, Jannetty Racing Tune, Helmholtz J pipe, MMR 228 Z28 replica wheels.
need4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:15 AM   #11
STW

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS/RS LS3
Ford lane.....bahaha

Posted from Camaro5.com App for Android
STW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:22 PM   #12
Mutant Racer

Drives: 2015 2LT Torch Red C7 Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJTV6A View Post
A Train horn would be very useful in this situation. Good story and thanks for sharing.
Friend of mine had a small PA system in his car, the speaker was in the grill, and it was LOUD. He'd verbally berate the car ahead of him and if they really pissed him off out came his Full Metal Jacket impersonation and he could do R. Lee Ermy perfectly.

He got rid of it though after people started jumping out of their cars to fight him.
Mutant Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:30 PM   #13
WheelmanSS
Logic is dead

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to WheelmanSS
In related news, water is wet.
- Kooks Stepped Headers, Magnaflow 16580
- Suspension by Pfadt, Hotchkis.

2007 Trailblazer SS- Sold
2001 Trans Am WS6 431 RWHP 408 RWTQ - Sold
1994 Camaro Z28 - Sold