Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-11-2010, 10:46 PM   #15
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Lots of info on both of these subjects in the V6 area.

First off, don't pay any shop 6 to 7 hours worth of labor to install the BBK LT headers. My guess is that they really haven't even looked under the hood of a Camaro LLT and don't really know what to expect?? If you can make a visit by one of the shops, explain to them the expected installation time and maybe give them a view under the hood and maybe they will change their estimate.

As far as the tune, unless the shop is working with Vince from Trifecta tuning they will not be able to tune your car. Trifecta is the ONLY current resource that is tuning the LLT. Don't expect much of a power increase from tuning as it seems the Bosch unit on the V6 engine is tuned well from the factory. Instead the tune can be used to correct any Air/Fuel issues as well as stop the CEL that will almost positively occur from the LT headers. Also, he can do nice things with the automatic transmissions (change shift points and decrease the torque management).

So if these shops can't tune your car, at least you can order a tuning package through Vince, and then after taking data logs from your car, he will custom tune your car for you, as well as make future tweaks for free. In this case, you may want to schedule your dyno runs for another time after you are ready to capture the data logs for Vince, but dyno runs are not really necessary for it.

Not sure what exhaust you plan to run with the BBKs, but I think they tend to produce a very nice growl for the V6!
Old 11-12-2010, 02:15 AM   #16
devildoc

Drives: '12 Toyota Tacoma Dbl
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Lots of info on both of these subjects in the V6 area.

First off, don't pay any shop 6 to 7 hours worth of labor to install the BBK LT headers. My guess is that they really haven't even looked under the hood of a Camaro LLT and don't really know what to expect?? If you can make a visit by one of the shops, explain to them the expected installation time and maybe give them a view under the hood and maybe they will change their estimate.

As far as the tune, unless the shop is working with Vince from Trifecta tuning they will not be able to tune your car. Trifecta is the ONLY current resource that is tuning the LLT. Don't expect much of a power increase from tuning as it seems the Bosch unit on the V6 engine is tuned well from the factory. Instead the tune can be used to correct any Air/Fuel issues as well as stop the CEL that will almost positively occur from the LT headers. Also, he can do nice things with the automatic transmissions (change shift points and decrease the torque management).

So if these shops can't tune your car, at least you can order a tuning package through Vince, and then after taking data logs from your car, he will custom tune your car for you, as well as make future tweaks for free. In this case, you may want to schedule your dyno runs for another time after you are ready to capture the data logs for Vince, but dyno runs are not really necessary for it.

Not sure what exhaust you plan to run with the BBKs, but I think they tend to produce a very nice growl for the V6!
Now to the OP, it took me 8hrs with a power lift and air tools to complete the headers. There are some really hard spots to get to, unlike our V8 brothers. Also, as KM mentioned they can't dyno tune your V6, there is no way unless they specifically say they are working with Trifecta. So I would just ask them, who/what they use to tune the cars, if they don't say trifecta then tell em you don't want a dyno/tune session done. They can still install the headers just don't do a tune. If you are looking for a reputable company to install your stuff, I would go to your "local" forum and ask for a reliable shop. Hope this helps.

PS - I see you are in Va Beach, I just came from over there. The company I used was in Newport News, called Horsepower Solutions. www.horsepowersolutions.net Give them a call. They are really good at what they do!
Old 11-12-2010, 06:49 AM   #17
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice

Drives: '10 LS + a few more
Driver's side was a piece of cake, passenger side was harder(up at the front the alternator is right up against a bolt) but with the right universal is done easy enough.

Listen to Doc, contact the locals.
usa1camaro1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:49 PM   #18
elsololobo02

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Really great info!! I have heard many good things about trifecta. I will have the speed shop install the headers and let trifecta do the tune and then maybe think about a dyno down the road. Thanks again for all your help and advice. It is nice to see there are people out there that are still willing to help out others.
elsololobo02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:35 PM   #19
devildoc

Drives: '12 Toyota Tacoma Dbl
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsololobo02 View Post
Really great info!! I have heard many good things about trifecta. I will have the speed shop install the headers and let trifecta do the tune and then maybe think about a dyno down the road. Thanks again for all your help and advice. It is nice to see there are people out there that are still willing to help out others.
No problem @ all!
Old 11-14-2010, 02:07 AM   #20
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by devildoc View Post
Now to the OP, it took me 8hrs with a power lift and air tools to complete the headers. There are some really hard spots to get to, unlike our V8 brothers.
Wow, really glad to hear I wasn't the only one to take 8hrs. Lol I only had hand tools and jack stands! Lol
Old 11-14-2010, 06:32 AM   #21
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
Wow, really glad to hear I wasn't the only one to take 8hrs. Lol I only had hand tools and jack stands! Lol
It took me longer than what I'd hoped for and yes, I was jack stands and jack. I try not to look back on that day as to how long it took or how nicked up my hands got, but how great these headers look and sound.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:04 AM   #22
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro guy View Post
. for tuning go with trifecta. $600 and very simple. he is the only v6 tuner known
I suggest before going that route with the tune to check to see if there's any Trifecta independent dealers out there.
1. you won't have to pay a deposit on the box/cable.
2. you won't have to pay for shipping each way9they already have the equipment)
3. $600 is $400 for the tune plus $200 for the cable. You may be able to get them to cut you a deal. I sure did.
There's one pretty close to the OP.

Trifecta Independent Tuner: Adam Nicola Adam Nicola
Serving: South East Virginia (Hampton VA)
Ph: (386) 983-0837
Email: SEVATrifectaTuning@yahoo.com
Old 11-14-2010, 08:10 AM   #23
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro guy View Post
if you go to a dealer you have to pay everytime they update the tune from vince. i have my own cable so i do it myself. AND once you buy the cable you get any future tunes for $140
Umm, no.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:47 PM   #24
Giaquinto1989

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsololobo02 View Post
I am new Camaro owner and I am looking for some advice from some more experienced individuals other than my self. I have purchsed a set of BBK Ceramic coated headers for my V6 LS. I have contacted a couple of reputable speeds shops in my area and they both have told me that it takes about 6-7 hours to install headers on my vehicle. I looked at the BBK web page and they claim that they can be installed in 1.5 hrs (according to the Tech PDF). Not sure if the speed shops are trying to take me to the cleaners on labor costs and wanted to know if the speed shops time (6-7 hrs) is way out of bounds or not?

Secondly they want to charge me $600 for a dyno tune ($300 for the tuner license and $300 for the dyno for 1 hour). Is this a fair price for this service??

Any help or advice would be appreciated.
I would highly suggest you get a base price your comfortable with before letting someone install things. I made that mistake and got stuck with a 750 dollar bill. As one C5 member pointed out... he probably had a beer inbetween each bolt. I had DT shorties installed, not sure how that compares, but try to get a deal set before letting them do their thing.
Giaquinto1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 06:30 PM   #25
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice

Work your deal, I'll work mine. I know what deal I worked out with my tuner.
umm, no...
Old 11-14-2010, 06:45 PM   #26
camaro guy

Drives: 2010 camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by usa1camaro1969 View Post
Work your deal, I'll work mine. I know what deal I worked out with my tuner.
umm, no...
my comments were to benefit the OP. you could have shared your words of wisdom instead of attempting to discredit mine.
camaro guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:46 PM   #27
elsololobo02

Drives: 2014 ZL1
I had a set of CAT Back flow masters installed. Very nice for the price.
elsololobo02 is offline   Reply With Quote