Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-15-2018, 10:21 PM   #1
the85darkknight

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS Green Flash Edition
Bolt-On Mods and Dyno Tuning Plans

I have reviewed the LFX dyno thread, and I definitely want to contribute to it. However, I need some help planning getting dyno numbers and what is the appropriate thing to do. In my area, I could not find anyone with a dyno, so I went ahead and purchased what I could as it became available. I did not get my stock numbers as such since there were no dynos that I was aware of.

Right now, I have a Cold Air Inductions, Inc., CAI and a Taylor Helix Throttle
Body Spacer coupled with an ADM Racing Scoop.

I still could not find a dyno near me, so I did not find out what those mods did for me.

I have acquired the Overkill 80mm Throttle Body, and I have already have had Kenny Camaro port it for me. I have not installed the throttle body just yet until I can get a plan together.I do plan on getting the JacFab spacer very soon. I will get the intake manifold ported, redo my exhaust and tune much later.

When is the appropriate time to get a dyno based on what I have presented? I know that the numbers for the stock automatic LFX are pretty well known as well as the basic numbers a CAI seems to provide. Where do I go from here?

I know dynos are expensive, and I finally found a couple. I am sure it is not easy for anyone to find time and money to go do this. I am in Middle Georgia, and I found one near me that will do three pulls for $100, and I found another in Marietta that will do the same for $70. They do have $40 days. I do think we should start keeping an organized list of the shops we visit with dynos and what type of dynos they have so that people have a nice place to hunt down a shop.

I look forward to any and all response and getting the most out of my Camaro.

IG: StarSaber85(https://www.instagram.com/starsaber85/)

Performance Mods:
CAI, Inc. Cold Air Intake; ADM Racing Scoop; Bo White Ported Throttle Body; GPI Ported Rod Mod Intake; Kooks 1-7/8" Headers with Catted Connections; Solo Mach XL Axle-Back Exhaust

the85darkknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 01:55 AM   #2
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by the85darkknight View Post
I have reviewed the LFX dyno thread, and I definitely want to contribute to it. However, I need some help planning getting dyno numbers and what is the appropriate thing to do. In my area, I could not find anyone with a dyno, so I went ahead and purchased what I could as it became available. I did not get my stock numbers as such since there were no dynos that I was aware of.

Right now, I have a Cold Air Inductions, Inc., CAI and a Taylor Helix Throttle
Body Spacer coupled with an ADM Racing Scoop.

I still could not find a dyno near me, so I did not find out what those mods did for me.

I have acquired the Overkill 80mm Throttle Body, and I have already have had Kenny Camaro port it for me. I have not installed the throttle body just yet until I can get a plan together.I do plan on getting the JacFab spacer very soon. I will get the intake manifold ported, redo my exhaust and tune much later.

When is the appropriate time to get a dyno based on what I have presented? I know that the numbers for the stock automatic LFX are pretty well known as well as the basic numbers a CAI seems to provide. Where do I go from here?

I know dynos are expensive, and I finally found a couple. I am sure it is not easy for anyone to find time and money to go do this. I am in Middle Georgia, and I found one near me that will do three pulls for $100, and I found another in Marietta that will do the same for $70. They do have $40 days. I do think we should start keeping an organized list of the shops we visit with dynos and what type of dynos they have so that people have a nice place to hunt down a shop.

I look forward to any and all response and getting the most out of my Camaro.
I'd wait until you get some real mods before you spend money on getting it dynoed. The Taylor TB spacer gave you zilch over a bone stock LFX so that was a waste of money. The CAI probably gave you 8-12 hp, if that, over stock.

The big problem you have is that you never had it dynoed when it was bone stock. I guess you can do that now by just switching out the CAI with the stock intake, if you still have it. Depending on the dyno and the operator, they can read more generous than others.

Do the real mods like the Jacfab spacer, 80mm ported TB and then slap the CAI back on. Get it dynoed again and see what the numbers are. However, I wouldn't get all too fired up about it. You will need a good tune (Overkill) to unlock the full potential those mods could give you.

And, if you haven't addressed the carbon build up issues that these engines are prone to, I'd do a complete intake valve cleaning with a catch can and a light tune up (plugs) if the miles require it.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 06:21 AM   #3
the85darkknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
I'd wait until you get some real mods before you spend money on getting it dynoed. The Taylor TB spacer gave you zilch over a bone stock LFX so that was a waste of money. The CAI probably gave you 8-12 hp, if that, over stock.

The big problem you have is that you never had it dynoed when it was bone stock. I guess you can do that now by just switching out the CAI with the stock intake, if you still have it. Depending on the dyno and the operator, they can read more generous than others.

Do the real mods like the Jacfab spacer, 80mm ported TB and then slap the CAI back on. Get it dynoed again and see what the numbers are. However, I wouldn't get all too fired up about it. You will need a good tune (Overkill) to unlock the full potential those mods could give you.

And, if you haven't addressed the carbon build up issues that these engines are prone to, I'd do a complete intake valve cleaning with a catch can and a light tune up (plugs) if the miles require it.
I really do appreciate that. I knew I wasn't getting much out of the spacer, and it is definitely coming off when the Overkill TB goes on. I honestly do like the whistle of the spacer.

The performance shops here have gotten me quite confused, and a particular one was basically trying to sell me a dyno tune without saying it. I do have a catch can, and a valve cleaning is forthcoming. I got lucky on those investments. The vehicle was 5 years old with 19,000 miles on it when I got it, and I have put that much on in a year. is this an appropriate time to address the plugs? Thanks!

Performance Mods:
CAI, Inc. Cold Air Intake; ADM Racing Scoop; Bo White Ported Throttle Body; GPI Ported Rod Mod Intake; Kooks 1-7/8" Headers with Catted Connections; Solo Mach XL Axle-Back Exhaust

Last edited by the85darkknight; 05-16-2018 at 06:28 AM. Reason: TB spacer note Added
Old 05-16-2018, 05:31 PM   #4
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 1LT RS Camaro
Plugs should be fine till 50-60k unless you notice missing.
Kenny Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 10:43 AM   #5
the85darkknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Camaro View Post
Plugs should be fine till 50-60k unless you notice missing.
I figured out that you meant "misfiring". That is great to know.

I do agree. Perhaps, I should go ahead and pay for a base dyno with the stock intake and then wait until I get the spacer to get the next dyno. Those are the real mods. I guess the third would be after porting the manifold and tuning. Okay. I can live with that.

Performance Mods:

Old 05-17-2018, 11:29 AM   #6
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
Catless downpipes if you are going to get a tune and have a decent exhaust, and aren't subject to emissions checks.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 04:22 PM   #7
the85darkknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
Catless downpipes if you are going to get a tune and have a decent exhaust, and aren't subject to emissions checks.
That is quite interesting. I have heard of this before. I am curious what you would truly get from this. I have in my head to eventually put high flow cats on hear, but you have piqued my interest.

Dyno plans:
Since I am close to stock, I am going to swap back on the stock intake and get stock numbers. After I put back on the intake, install Kenny Camaro's ported TB, get that manifold spacer and port the manifold, I will get my next dyno.

I do appreciate all of the insight.

P.S.
I still think we should start a sticky thread and keep a spreadsheet of shops with dynos throughout the country and what they have so others won't struggle like I did to find someone. I have a lead on a DynoMax where I am, and it was through the only performance shop here that I knew of.

Performance Mods:

Old 05-22-2018, 02:04 PM   #8
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
I mean, there's basically 3 tiers of exhaust volume with these cars. Solo high flow cats will give you a little bit of volume, but not a ton because the high flow cats are paired with resonators. Then the ARH high flow cats will give you more volume due to no resonators, and also potentially a tiny bit of rasp (but again, still have cats so it's extremely minimal). Then the ARH catless downpipes. Catless will give you the most horsepower (we're talking single digit difference between catless and high flow though) and volume, but also the most rasp potentially. If you are concerned, grab a Magnaflow x muffler (11386) and have it welded in place of the stock H pipe and resonators. You can choose different rear mufflers later based on your sound preference.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote