Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 06-21-2013, 03:21 PM   #1
jjjaroscak

Drives: Cyber Gray 2011 2LT Camaro
Subframe bushing inserts help!

I'm installing the Pedders subframe bushing inserts and can't even get started. What is the torque value of the sub-frame bushing bolts? I can't even get those suckers off!
jjjaroscak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:25 PM   #2
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
According to the Pfadt instructions, they are torqued to 100 ft-lbs. Get a big 1/2" breaker bar and the right size socket, and they'll come loose!
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:32 PM   #3
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Use a breaker bar or a good impact. I had no issues with the actual bolt. Biggest issue was getting the hat off the sub-frame.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:41 PM   #4
hairzee

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
I have a cheap impact and they came off no problem. A breaker should work also.

I dropped the entire cradle which was easy and made access much better. However, I read somewhere where somebody lowered the carrier and then placed 4 sockets between the bushes and car and then jacked the carrier up letting the weight of the car do the work and press them out.

good luck fun stuff
2010 SS, CAI intake, Kooks 1 7/8 LT with high flow cats, Pfadt Sways and Springs, Lloyds Mats, Magnaflow 3"cat back, Ported TB, JRE tune, Rx Catch Can, Forgestar F14, BMR subframe, BMR 4point strut brace.
hairzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:37 PM   #5
jjjaroscak

Ah yes, works much better with a longer torque wrench capable of 250 ft/lb. Hopefully this was the only hurdle I'll run into. Thanks for the replies.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:48 PM   #6
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairzee View Post
I have a cheap impact and they came off no problem. A breaker should work also.

I dropped the entire cradle which was easy and made access much better. However, I read somewhere where somebody lowered the carrier and then placed 4 sockets between the bushes and car and then jacked the carrier up letting the weight of the car do the work and press them out.

good luck fun stuff
Haddad Motorsports did drop the cradle on my ZL1 when I watched them install mine last month. Made a huge difference.
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:30 PM   #7
jjjaroscak

Does it matter if I re-torque the bolts before or after dropping the car back down?
Old 06-21-2013, 08:46 PM   #8
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjaroscak View Post
Does it matter if I re-torque the bolts before or after dropping the car back down?
Torque the bolts after you time the bushings.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:10 PM   #9
madmaxx18

Drives: 07_tundra/08_zo6
use a pipe stick it over the ratchet or breaker bar to break the torque or a big combo wrench to gain extra leverage on your wrench !!!! Easy pipe to use is your pipe jack from your car jack is what I use all the time for breaking torque on hard to break bolts.
madmaxx18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:14 PM   #10
caverman

Quote:
Are you talking about the subframe bolts? I did mine before I put the car on the ground.

Tip: put a little blue locktite on the bolts and get try to torque them to around 80# and you should be good.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
Old 06-21-2013, 09:51 PM   #11
jjjaroscak

Timed, locktited, and torqued! Thanks for the help everyone! That was definitely the most challenging mod I've done so far. Getting those metal plates off the bottom of the front bushings SUCKED!

Now to do the radius rod inserts on Sunday, get an alignment during the week, then hit the track next Saturday.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:58 PM   #12
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Did you do it on jack stands? Got any advice? What are your impressions?

I'm planning on doing this mod soon

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:40 AM   #13
caverman

Quote:
Timed, locktited, and torqued! Thanks for the help everyone! That was definitely the most challenging mod I've done so far. Getting those metal plates off the bottom of the front bushings SUCKED!
Now to do the radius rod inserts on Sunday, get an alignment during the week, then hit the track next Saturday.
What method did you use to get the metal plates off?

The radius rod inserts are super easy.
Build Journal
Old 06-22-2013, 08:42 AM   #14
caverman

I'll throw this thread out there just in case someone hasn't seen it yet. It might help someone with the install.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...hlight=pedders
Build Journal