Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > Canada

Old 04-03-2013, 08:31 PM   #15
Matster

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM/IOM #3625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meltdownaverted View Post
He's in Alberta no PST or HST here
Rub it in But hey with all that oil in ur backyard that's the least the gov can do.

416 Forged Stroker, E-Force Supercharger, Blower Cam, Rotofab CAI, Stainless Works 2" LT Headers and 3" Exhaust, LPE ZR1 Twin Disc Clutch, DSS 1400 HP Axles, Pfadt Performance Kit Stage 3.
Matster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:51 PM   #16
Caswell239

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs
The tax your charged is decided by where your parts enter the country, they entered into Ontario so there for hst. I would have still bought if I had known up front most likely but man we get screwed up here! Just like the price of gas and price of vehicles!
Caswell239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:30 PM   #17
Cap'n Pete

Drives: '02 Z28
I've typically found UPS to be worse than FedEx for cross-border shipping. I've had some large/heavy items shipped by FedEx (full exhaust system, a transmission on a skid) and while the shipping ain't "cheap", the "surprise" brokerage fee after the fact (on top of the up front shipping cost) isn't as bad as UPS ... who RAPE YOU after the fact. I just bought a set of skis for my sled recently: $200 skis, $120 shipping (UPS) and THEN $90 brokerage fee upon delivery!!! So I paid $210 for shipping on $200 parts!!
2006 Z06 - LeMans Blue
2010 Corvette - LS3/MN6 - Black
2002 Camaro Z28 - LS1/T56 - Black
www.time-attack.ca
Cap'n Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:45 PM   #18
slededorilllia
slededorillia

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Pete View Post
I've typically found UPS to be worse than FedEx for cross-border shipping. I've had some large/heavy items shipped by FedEx (full exhaust system, a transmission on a skid) and while the shipping ain't "cheap", the "surprise" brokerage fee after the fact (on top of the up front shipping cost) isn't as bad as UPS ... who RAPE YOU after the fact. I just bought a set of skis for my sled recently: $200 skis, $120 shipping (UPS) and THEN $90 brokerage fee upon delivery!!! So I paid $210 for shipping on $200 parts!!
hey is it cap'n pete from HCS?????
slededorilllia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:16 AM   #19
dragon22

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caswell239 View Post
Don't get me wrong i love being Canadian. BUT!!! I ordered a blower package from Jannetty racing, came in four boxes. No duty or brokerage at the door, but just got 4 invoices for them. Total of 715$ Canadian in duty and brokerage! I already paid a lot for shipping in the first place! Man we get raped hard for parts crossing the boarder!!!

/endrant

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Wait a minute...they charged you duty? Aren't the parts made in North America? We're not supposed to have to pay duty anymore unless the parts are made outside of North America. I would argue that!
dragon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:33 AM   #20
Matster

Quote:
The tax your charged is decided by where your parts enter the country, they entered into Ontario so there for hst. I would have still bought if I had known up front most likely but man we get screwed up here! Just like the price of gas and price of vehicles!
Caswell if this is the case and you are a resident of Alberta, irrelevant of where the goods entered Canada you might be entitled to an HST rebate. Check out this website http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tp.../menu-eng.html.

From the CRA's website mentioned above.....

General rebates

There are various situations that entitle resident and non-resident individuals or businesses to a GST/HST rebate. In some cases, you don't have to be registered for the GST/HST. For instance, you may have paid the GST/HST in error on a non-taxable item
, or you may have paid the HST on imported goods that will not be used or consumed in a participating province.

Check out the attached rebate form and good luck Be sure to post whether you are eligible and whether you get the HST back as this may be helpful to other members in Alberta.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf HST General Rebate Form.pdf (48.2 KB, 116 views)

416 Forged Stroker, E-Force Supercharger, Blower Cam, Rotofab CAI, Stainless Works 2" LT Headers and 3" Exhaust, LPE ZR1 Twin Disc Clutch, DSS 1400 HP Axles, Pfadt Performance Kit Stage 3.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:33 AM   #21
Motion427
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Red Jewel L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon22 View Post
Wait a minute...they charged you duty? Aren't the parts made in North America? We're not supposed to have to pay duty anymore unless the parts are made outside of North America. I would argue that!

Yes,if the product is made in the USA,you would not need to pay for brokerage fees.
But you have to have the right paper work to be exempt.If you do not have the paper work,you pay the normal fees.
Even if it's not made in the USA,proper paper work does help with the Fees quite a bit.
We import from the US everyday.We use UPS,FED EX or ship to our warehouse in Calais,Me. (I'm from the East coast).Because we buy performance/4x4 parts on a daily basis,I use a customs broker based on the weight of the product and not tha value. UPS and FEDEX brokerage is based on the value of the product.
So a $6600.00US supercharger pkg, will not cost us a crazy amount of money to get it here to our Canadian customers.
Actually we would sell a Camaro supercharger(Whipple).If I use $6600.00US as an example again.I would sell it around $6800.00 CDN +HST or GST(depends on the province we ship it to)out the door at our shop.

Same here,we are 3 hours away from the border.It would not benefit me to drive a 6+ hour drive round trip to the border to pick up our parts which is at the border anyway,because we have a good broker to help us out to import or export products to and from the USA.

If you buy alot of products, look up a broker near you.Or shop around for a good Canadian side performance/4x4. It may be cheaper in the long run.
Motion427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:40 AM   #22
Matster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion427 View Post
Yes,if the product is made in the USA,you would not need to pay for brokerage fees.
But you have to have the right paper work to be exempt.If you do not have the paper work,you pay the normal fees.
Even if it's not made in the USA,proper paper work does help with the Fees quite a bit.
We import from the US everyday.We use UPS,FED EX or ship to our warehouse in Calais,Me. (I'm from the East coast).Because we buy performance/4x4 parts on a daily basis,I use a customs broker based on the weight of the product and not tha value. UPS and FEDEX brokerage is based on the value of the product.
So a $6600.00US supercharger pkg, will not cost us a crazy amount of money to get it here to our Canadian customers.
Actually we would sell a Camaro supercharger(Whipple).If I use $6600.00US as an example again.I would sell it around $6800.00 CDN +HST or GST(depends on the province we ship it to)out the door at our shop.

Same here,we are 3 hours away from the border.It would not benefit me to drive a 6+ hour drive round trip to the border to pick up our parts which is at the border anyway,because we have a good broker to help us out to import or export products to and from the USA.

If you buy alot of products, look up a broker near you.Or shop around for a good Canadian side performance/4x4. It may be cheaper in the long run.
Hey Motion, Fellow NB'r here born and raised in Sussex now living in Ontario.

Your post is a little confusing so may be I can clarify this a bit.

Goods that are manufactured in North America that comply with the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) rules of origin do indeed enter Canada duty free. Duty and brokerage fees are 2 different things, duty is collected by the broker and handed onto the Federal Government based on the value of the goods and Brokerage fees are charged by the carrier/broker for their services. Brokerage fees can be determined by any number of things and are negotiated rates between the broker and their customer. In your case it would appear you are paying brokerage fees based on the weight of the shipment.

Technically in order to receive the duty free benefits under the NAFTA, the importer must be in possession of a properly complete Certificate of Origin from the manufacturer. A simple statement on the commercial invoice "made in the U.S." is not sufficient but is often used on LVS (low value shipments) under $1,600.00 CAD. The NAFTA certificate can be a "one time" which would apply to one shipment and would identify the PO #, commercial invoice number or some other reference number specific to that one shipment. For large commercial importers that import a lot of product from one supplier throughout the year, they can request that the manufacturer complete a blanket certificate, this would itemized all products imported and can be issued for a period not exceeding 12 months.

The most common misconception is that "its made in the U.S. or Mexico" it therefore should be duty free. There is a set of origin rules as thick as an encyclopedia that lay out the rules on how and what must take place in order to qualify for NAFTA.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:18 AM   #23
willhe64

Drives: 2012 45th Vert, 2011 4x4, 9sec Vega
I had my Supercharger drop shipped (for free from SCC!) to Summit Customs brokers at the border. They brought it through and shipped it to me. Total cost of tax brokerage and shipping was $275. No duty.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:51 AM   #24
Trackman

Drives: 67RS Camaro ,Black 2013 ZL1
Quote:
I cross border shop all the time. I never have been charged HST when parts cross the border through a province that has HST/PST.
Scan and post your Fedex statement.
Trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:20 PM   #25
mhoskins76
HTWEELZ

Drives: 2013 2SS Hot Wheels Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackman View Post
I cross border shop all the time. I never have been charged HST when parts cross the border through a province that has HST/PST.
Scan and post your Fedex statement.
Well when you live close to the border...it is definitely a good idea to do so.

Unfortunately for the OP and myself we live at least a 10 hour drive one way to the border. So for us it just does not make sense to do that.

DELIVERED APRIL 22nd, 2013 and enjoying every minute since!

Mods:
Cold Air Inductions CAI, CNC Ported Throttle Body, Elite Engineering Oil Catch Can, Smoked Spyder LED Tail Lights, 12" JBL Sub, JBL Amp, Stealth Sub Box, American Racing LT headers and hi-flo cats, Tuned by Davenport, Custom painted interior pieces, Custom painted hood liner and trunk liner, Niche Targa M-130 wheels, LED side markers
mhoskins76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:21 PM   #26
Motion427
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Red Jewel L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matster View Post
Hey Motion, Fellow NB'r here born and raised in Sussex now living in Ontario.

Your post is a little confusing so may be I can clarify this a bit.

Goods that are manufactured in North America that comply with the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) rules of origin do indeed enter Canada duty free. Duty and brokerage fees are 2 different things, duty is collected by the broker and handed onto the Federal Government based on the value of the goods and Brokerage fees are charged by the carrier/broker for their services. Brokerage fees can be determined by any number of things and are negotiated rates between the broker and their customer. In your case it would appear you are paying brokerage fees based on the weight of the shipment.

Technically in order to receive the duty free benefits under the NAFTA, the importer must be in possession of a properly complete Certificate of Origin from the manufacturer. A simple statement on the commercial invoice "made in the U.S." is not sufficient but is often used on LVS (low value shipments) under $1,600.00 CAD. The NAFTA certificate can be a "one time" which would apply to one shipment and would identify the PO #, commercial invoice number or some other reference number specific to that one shipment. For large commercial importers that import a lot of product from one supplier throughout the year, they can request that the manufacturer complete a blanket certificate, this would itemized all products imported and can be issued for a period not exceeding 12 months.

The most common misconception is that "its made in the U.S. or Mexico" it therefore should be duty free. There is a set of origin rules as thick as an encyclopedia that lay out the rules on how and what must take place in order to qualify for NAFTA.
Thanks for correction.For a reason or another I was thinking "brokerage" when I should have wrote "duties".

But what matster wrote is correct.

You have a nice ride over there matster,keep up the good work.
Motion427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:38 PM   #27
Cap'n Pete

Drives: '02 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by slededorilllia View Post
hey is it cap'n pete from HCS?????
Yup, same me! ... I like cars too!
2006 Z06 - LeMans Blue
2010 Corvette - LS3/MN6 - Black
2002 Camaro Z28 - LS1/T56 - Black
www.time-attack.ca
Cap'n Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:44 PM   #28
Thrillz

Drives: 2019 Dodge Daytona R/T
You want to know what really ticks me off being Canadian. Paying a premium for products much more then our American counterparts when are dollar is close to par. Nothing like having to pay over 5k more for a Camaro when the car is built right here in my back yard. Rediculious

Last edited by Thrillz; 04-06-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Thrillz is offline   Reply With Quote