Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 10-30-2013, 12:20 PM   #29
DarkCry956

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Exactly. That and if the tranny and rear is built I'll be ready for a forged block to up the boost and increase power. So ill probably just get gears for that setup as of now.
So this swap is pretty much figured out besides the multi or single disk converter. Tuner suggested single while most have recommended multi
Oh yea and I don't know what trans cooler to get since I got a Vortech intercooler up front taking up most of the space
DarkCry956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:53 PM   #30
Mr. Nasty
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 RS/SS Rally Yellow & 68 SS
I went with the 3.91 so I could trap at a higher rpm. Now trapping around 6400 in 3rd at 130 mph. On trans cooler go as large as you can.
AS OF 1/29/16 @ 633 RWHP=10.10@136
TOPED 700 PASSES AFTER F.I. AND STILL ON THE ORIGIANAL STOCK AXLE & DIFF
Mr. Nasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:59 PM   #31
MANNYS2SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS,LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCry956 View Post
Exactly. That and if the tranny and rear is built I'll be ready for a forged block to up the boost and increase power. So ill probably just get gears for that setup as of now.
So this swap is pretty much figured out besides the multi or single disk converter. Tuner suggested single while most have recommended multi
Oh yea and I don't know what trans cooler to get since I got a Vortech intercooler up front taking up most of the space
I feel the same way about the converter and the cooler location.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nasty View Post
I went with the 3.91 so I could trap at a higher rpm. Now trapping around 6400 in 3rd at 130 mph. On trans cooler go as large as you can.
I have a pulley that will put me at 11lbs of boost maybe another 20-30 rwhp. I do regret selling my 3.91 gears, I should have held on to them until I tracked the car. Oh well, I guess I will worry about that after I install the transmission. All I really want is a 10.99 street car, hopefully with the 4L80E I will finally get there.

LS-3, ProCharger D1SC
665. rwhp /562. rwtq @ 9.3 psi
MANNYS2SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:50 PM   #32
Mr. Nasty
Emerald Coast Camaros

Yeah at my power level it was mid 11s. But with suspension work trans and 3 different gears with weight loss now mid 10s with the same power. Will add more power and looking for high 9s this time next year.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:30 PM   #33
DarkCry956

How do you guys do your burnouts with the 4L80? Are you guys using the stock auto shifter?
Old 11-06-2013, 02:46 PM   #34
Mr. Nasty
Emerald Coast Camaros

Yes stock shifter. Just put it in sport and go and it will keep you in 3rd at the trap.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:47 PM   #35
DarkCry956

I was advised by the trans builder that I want to do 2 to 3 gear burnouts manually. He told me that leaving it in 3rd will start the burnout from 1st gear and shift on its own. He said that has hurt the 4L80.
Looking at the stock shifter I can see I won't be able to put it in 2 with the stock shifter.

Anyone use different shifter other than the stock?
Old 11-06-2013, 05:35 PM   #36
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
After our talking last night it got me thinking so I was looking at the stock shifter and it dawned on me that it may be able to be modified to accommodate another gear selection. I've got a couple of them kicking around with wiped out threads I use for test purposes. I'm going to play around with one and see what I can come up with.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:13 PM   #37
DarkCry956

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
After our talking last night it got me thinking so I was looking at the stock shifter and it dawned on me that it may be able to be modified to accommodate another gear selection. I've got a couple of them kicking around with wiped out threads I use for test purposes. I'm going to play around with one and see what I can come up with.
Thanks man! I was actually going to mess with mine when I get home Friday to see if anything can be done. I don't care much about the P-R-N-D-M cover since I can try putting a manual leather boot to replace it.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:31 PM   #38
CFD

Quote:
Thanks man! I was actually going to mess with mine when I get home Friday to see if anything can be done. I don't care much about the P-R-N-D-M cover since I can try putting a manual leather boot to replace it.
I think this will work and it is so simple. I should have taken a before and after picture to compare but I can do it tomorrow as I have another shifter at my shop.

Here is what I did. There is a detent lever on the left side of the shifter, it already has TWO more positions that aren't utilized. The only thing that prevents there use is the shifter housing. I simply ground away the portion of the housing that stops the shifter from going back further than needed. With this done the detent lever works and will allow the use of the extra two positions. The only thing, which is no big deal and can also be remedied by the making of a new gate, is that it doesn't have a "lock" to prevent you from putting it in the two new positions. In other words you don't have to use the trigger or, in the case of my shifters, push down to select the last 1 or 2 gears. As I said, no big deal because you can feel it because the detent is used. A new gate or possibly modifying the existing one will solve that. It can also be done on the car without removal of the shifter. Takes a few minutes to do.

You cannot use the stock shifter bezel but will work with the boot.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:18 PM   #39
CFD

After looking at it further I don't think making a new gate is needed. If you wanted to make it so you can't shift from the last two positions without using the trigger all you need to do is file a small notch in the existing gate. It is plastic and only takes another minute to do.

I cannot test it as I don't have a 4l80 but I am quite confident it will work perfectly but then again, although not often, I've been wrong before lol
Old 11-06-2013, 07:33 PM   #40
DarkCry956

I definitely want to see pics!

Seems like you got it to work to my liking. I found some pics of the shifter assembly and one with the boot before the trim is on. Are you sure it will work with the boot? It's just hard to tell without having the parts in front of me. Also since I just need one more gear is it possible to just grind off enough to access one extra gear only?

Quote:
I think this will work and it is so simple. I should have taken a before and after picture to compare but I can do it tomorrow as I have another shifter at my shop.

Here is what I did. There is a detent lever on the left side of the shifter, it already has TWO more positions that aren't utilized. The only thing that prevents there use is the shifter housing. I simply ground away the portion of the housing that stops the shifter from going back further than needed. With this done the detent lever works and will allow the use of the extra two positions. The only thing, which is no big deal and can also be remedied by the making of a new gate, is that it doesn't have a "lock" to prevent you from putting it in the two new positions. In other words you don't have to use the trigger or, in the case of my shifters, push down to select the last 1 or 2 gears. As I said, no big deal because you can feel it because the detent is used. A new gate or possibly modifying the existing one will solve that. It can also be done on the car without removal of the shifter. Takes a few minutes to do.

You cannot use the stock shifter bezel but will work with the boot.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:39 PM   #41
DarkCry956

Quote:
After looking at it further I don't think making a new gate is needed. If you wanted to make it so you can't shift from the last two positions without using the trigger all you need to do is file a small notch in the existing gate. It is plastic and only takes another minute to do.

I cannot test it as I don't have a 4l80 but I am quite confident it will work perfectly but then again, although not often, I've been wrong before lol
Hopefully I can get home tomorrow before it gets too late so I can remove the shifter and play with it at home before I go to bed. I'm really hoping this works and I get to keep the functions as close to stock as possible. I wouldn't want it to pop out of gear and into another when I'm at the track.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:40 PM   #42
CFD

Quote:

I definitely want to see pics!

Seems like you got it to work to my liking. I found some pics of the shifter assembly and one with the boot before the trim is on. Are you sure it will work with the boot? It's just hard to tell without having the parts in front of me. Also since I just need one more gear is it possible to just grind off enough to access one extra gear only?

I am quite sure it will work with the boot. If don't think you can only grind enough for the one gear because of the way the plastic housing is molded. Grinding the whole piece would allow you to utilize 1st gear as well but if you didn't want it a simple u shaped stop could be made and installed very easily as well. I'll get some pictures up tomorrow and it will be very clear to see.