Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 12-15-2011, 12:12 PM   #561
007s 'Vert
Formerly Lil'BlueCoupe

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Vert, Summit White
Well folks I finally got my new Camaro and I noticed it pops when I go down the dirt road I live on(about 6/10s of a mile) I found that when I slow down the popping goes away, it doesn't bother me much, I know I can fix it. The good thing though is the fact that I read this thread first before I got the car and I knew what to expect when I drove down my dirt road.
Would I still have bought my car after experiencing this noise? YEP! In a heart beat!
Every car has it's shortcoming, if this is the only issue I have with this car then shes a keeper, and I am not going to worry myself over it.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:58 PM   #562
007s 'Vert
Formerly Lil'BlueCoupe

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Vert, Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by STINGER BEE View Post
Is this the 2012 ,if you find a fix please let me know what u did to fix it, I have tried several avenues with no results.

Thanks
Well I havent gotten the car in my garage yet to reallly get a good look at her, so for now the only fix untill I can figure it out will be to just turn up the radio lol.
If I do find a fix I will post how I fixed it.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:11 PM   #563
Willlogan

Drives: Shopping for an ss2
I asked my salesman if he had heard anything about this....... He said he would look into it.
Willlogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:41 PM   #564
PitchBlack
(with a little chrome)

Drives: The Black Knight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil'BlueCoupe View Post
Well folks I finally got my new Camaro and I noticed it pops when I go down the dirt road I live on(about 6/10s of a mile) I found that when I slow down the popping goes away, it doesn't bother me much, I know I can fix it. The good thing though is the fact that I read this thread first before I got the car and I knew what to expect when I drove down my dirt road.
Would I still have bought my car after experiencing this noise? YEP! In a heart beat!
Every car has it's shortcoming, if this is the only issue I have with this car then shes a keeper, and I am not going to worry myself over it.
Exactly right.

[COLOR=seagreen]Mods Installed:
Backup sensors
American Racing Rogue Wheels
AAC LED Interior Light Kit

Ordered:
BlingLights Fog Light Kit
AAC Footwell Ambient Lighting Kit
Complete Lamp Protection Kit
(Smoked Finish)
PitchBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:06 AM   #565
blackswan

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Nope. go drive one. If you drive it and nothing happens, it's good to go. Not all cars experience the popping....just a few. for those few, it's a pain in the ass.
Not true in all cases. Mine was dead quiet for about 500 miles then it started. I'm convinced it's something that loosens or settles and then can change if the car is lifted. I recently had it at the dealer and when I left it was gone, only to come back about 50 miles or so later.

I'm surprised to see that the strut isn't held in by anything other than downward force from the chassis. Every other car I've owned had strut retaining bolts, usually three of them. I'm convinced it's something to do with this and there is some movement in there over bumps OR, like Pedders says, some bolt is loose.

It's also not that big a deal, it's very close to the sound pitch/loudness as the noise the HID system's relay makes.

Last edited by blackswan; 02-10-2012 at 09:46 PM.
blackswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:51 AM   #566
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackswan View Post
Not true in all cases. Mine was dead quite for about 500 miles then it started. I'm convinced it's something that loosens or settles and then can change if the car is lifted. I recently had it at the dealer and when I left it was gone, only to come back about 50 miles or so later.

I'm surprised to see that the strut isn't held in by anything other than downward force from the chassis. Every other car I've owned had strut retaining bolts, usually three of them. I'm convinced it's something to do with this and there is some movement in there over bumps OR, like Pedders says, some bolt is loose.

It's also not that big a deal, it's very close to the sound pitch/loudness as the noise the HID system's relay makes.
There are a number of cars built around the world using the same or similar strut mounts. Buick use the same mount. The Holdens have use a variation of this mount for at least 25 years.

Go out to your driveway and jack your car up until the wheel loses contact with the ground. Now get in your drivers seat. Do you really think your car is seeing this much suspension travel going down the road?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 03:56 PM   #567
blackswan

Doesn't really need to though does it? If there's a sudden acceleration downward there could be movement up inside the tower. Hey, it's just a theory... and every car I've had had strut retaining bolts - I didn't say there weren't many that didn't, just unusual for me personally to see.

What are those threaded holes at the top of the towers for - stiffening bar?
Old 12-17-2011, 04:58 PM   #568
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackswan View Post
Doesn't really need to though does it? If there's a sudden acceleration downward there could be movement up inside the tower. Hey, it's just a theory... and every car I've had had strut retaining bolts - I didn't say there weren't many that didn't, just unusual for me personally to see.

What are those threaded holes at the top of the towers for - stiffening bar?
The weight of the Camaro holds the strut assembly in place until the suspension unloads when a wheel is lifted off the ground. If it were as straight forward as the strut mount moves because of the design EVERY Camaro would have the same problem. They don't. We believe we know the possible causes, the solutions and have posted them here.

When the Vert was introduced it required reinforcement. There are some stamped steel braces that bolt in below the passenger compartment and a strut tower bar between the struts. The reason the Vert required these braces is... they cut off the roof. The braces have no connection to the noises in the thread.

I hope this helps.

Subject:Front Suspension Thump or "Loose Lumber" Noise

Models:2010-2011 Chevrolet Camaro

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern

Some customers may comment about suspension noise coming from the front of the vehicle when driving at low/moderate speeds (16-40 km/h [10-25 mph]) over rough roadway surfaces (cracks, lightly broken surfaces). The sound has been described as a rattle, knocking, clunking or "loose lumber" noise. This sound should be of a relatively low volume and behave as a brief rumble or thud following impacts with rough roadways. The sound is non-metallic in nature and has a dull wooden character.
The "loose lumber" sound exists as a result of the basic component configuration and tuning that effect the ride, handling and steering of the vehicle.

Recommendation/Instructions

When a customer brings in a vehicle with front suspension noise, upon confirmation of the sound via a test drive, a brief inspection of the front suspension should be conducted (fastener torques, bushing/ball joint health). If no issues are found, the technician should confirm that the sound is/is not typical for the Camaro. (If needed, drive another Camaro and note the sound quality over small impacts.) If the sound is common in character with that of other Camaros, the customer should be informed that the vehicle is operating as intended and that the "loose lumber" sound is a normal suspension sound.

Warranty Information

If the noise is found to be a normal condition, please submit labor operation E9995 (Customer Concern Not Duplicated -- Tires, Wheels, Suspension and Steering); otherwise, utilize the labor operation for the repaired or replaced component.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

Đ 2010 General Motors. All rights reserved.

Print this and the prior post. Take it to your Chevy Dealer. I am confident they will make an effort to support you. If they don't, tell them to call me 248.522.8021 You may be better served calling these numbers.

Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center: 1-800-222-1020
GM Executive Center Detroit: 313-667-7153

Finally, the rubber tracks are normal. The strut retaining plate (the metal plate with the rubber ring) is there to hold the strut in place when lifted for service or airborne while driving When you turn the front wheels the plate articulates and makes light contact with the top of the inner fender well.

Camaro Front End Noise Correction

Inspection -- Determine if the upper spring insulator is black rubber or beige urethane.

Inspection -- If it is black rubber and partially displaced, replace it with the updated steel and urethane insulator.

Inspection -- Is there any damage to any of the front end components.

Inspection -- If available test drive with chassis ears in place to identify the source. If chassis ears are not available complete the 9 Steps listed here.

1. With the weight of the car on the wheels, remove the strut retaining nut and plate.
2. Burp the exposed strut assembly nut tight with the biggest baddest air gun in the shop. TQ is the key. We need a sudden acceleration of the nut to make it tight.
3. Reinstall the strut retaining plate and strut retaining nut. Tighten with the same over kill air gun for the same reasons.
4. Hit the strut clevis bolts with the same gun.
5. Hit the endlink nuts with the same monster gun. Don't do it by hand. Crank them down.
6. Get a wrench and all three ball joint nuts. Make them mechanic tight.
7. Crank down the radius arm nut and bolt to the same standard. Mechanic tight.
8. Get a socket on the sway bar strap nuts and make them mechanic tight.
9. Hit all four steering rack bolts and make them mechanic tight.

The 5th Gen Camaro is a ZETA II front end. We have seen issues with the G8 in the USA and the Commodore in AU. Chevrolet addressed those issues with large more robust ball joints and studs. Pontiac has addressed them with a TSB to replace the LCA and radius arms. There is NO issue with those components on the Camaro. Replacing the arms on G8s does not eliminate the noise because there were additional sources. Those sources are what appear to be tight to spec nuts on ball joints, endlinks, steering rack mounts, clevis bolts and strut mounting hardware. (The Camaro strut mount is different from the G8, but similar in that it has two nuts one below and one above the strut mount). Tightening the bolts is the key to resolving front end noises. What makes it tough for the DYI is lack of access to a high volume high pressure air supply to power a rattle gun.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:14 AM   #569
blackswan

Quote:
Originally Posted by STINGER BEE View Post
Man you feel the same way I do about my car, it acts just like yours, it just doesn't seem right for the spring to be just setting there held by the down force weight of the car, poor design if I may say.
Frustrating isn't it? Fortunately I have a new dealer I'm working with who is just as interested in curing this. I don't accept GM's statement that it's normal if only some Camaros exhibit this condition, but understand if this is what dealers have been told then we are on our own to fix it (ironically).

JusticePete, thanks for the information. I was asking about the holes our of curiosity only, not because I thought it was related. You seem frustrated by my responses, perhaps you think I didn't review your list and I can understand how that may seem like I'm not "listening". However, I did have the dealer review your list and the noise remains, so either they didn't do it right (maybe their bigass gun isn't bigass enough or it's not coming from those listed items.

If necessary, I will upgrade to Pedders (seriously).

Last edited by blackswan; 12-20-2011 at 08:10 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:43 PM   #570
JusticePete

Sorry if my tone wasn't right. I am very frustrated with the situation and would like to see the Camaro owners satisfied. One of these days I'll learn I don't run GM. Maybe I can help. Can you PM me your address?
Old 12-20-2011, 08:09 PM   #571
blackswan

It's quite alright, just wanted to make sure you knew I was heading your advice. Someone from a Pedders relatively close in CT contacted me and I very well may go there and seek a cure. Thanks to you all at Pedders for looking into it!
Old 12-27-2011, 07:09 PM   #572
CammieChix

Drives: 2011 1LT 6-SP MANUAL
Just wanted to weigh in that whenever I reported a noise of any sort with this car to a dealer I got this very same "it's a noisy car" explanation from service techs ... we would do test drives and I would promptly be sent home with the "see it's noisy that's all" when in fact there were underlying issues. I see now that they probably were referring to this when in fact my car had much more severe problems.

With all these various issues I wonder what this car will be like in years 5 and 10 of its life.

Just be careful yall. Good luck and Happy New Year!
CammieChix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:14 PM   #573
ss/rssleeper

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2
I had the same issue and all I can tell you is that when I installed Pfadt Coilovers, the noise is gone. I got the same response from every dealership I took it to that the "bump" in the right front suspension is "normal" and every 2010 and 2011 Camaro. I don't think any abnormal noise is "normal" and Chevrolet should do a recall. If Chevrolet is saying other wise as in the thread above, then the dealerships are telling "us loyal customers" a different and discouraging message.
ss/rssleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:00 AM   #574
STINGER BEE
2010RS/SS RUMBLEBEE

Drives: Drives a 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
Question

Has anyone solved this problem by just replacing the insulator p/n 20859337.