Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-30-2016, 09:50 AM   #57
Normagene

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
There is a price difference between the new ZL1 and the previously owned Z/28 of about $20,000 round numbers. I think I know guiy that ofr $20K could have the Z/28 running faster than the ZL1

Not sure I understand what you wrote. The Z/28 is priced at 75K

I haven't seen the price of the 2017 ZL1

Are you saying the new ZL1 is starting around 95K?
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:05 AM   #58
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normagene View Post
Not sure I understand what you wrote. The Z/28 is priced at 75K

I haven't seen the price of the 2017 ZL1

Are you saying the new ZL1 is starting around 95K?
Z/28s are about $50k now.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:16 AM   #59
Normagene

Quote:
Z/28s are about $50k now.

I was going by sticker price. A new Z/28 is 15K more than the ZL1, well if you can a leftover, those are 2015 sticker prices, since their wasn't a 2016 ZL1.

But that was always my thought, if I had to choose between buying a new (back in 2015) ZL1 or Z/28 with a 15K price difference, I'd think for 15K put into mods on the ZL1 it would be faster around any given track. Yes/No/Maybe??? That's a big price difference.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:32 AM   #60
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
Agreed. I drive around the 8/10's or 9/10's mark for this reason alone.

If that means I'm a few secs slower around the track on race day I'm cool with that.

I enjoy turning up my radio and turning on my A/C and pushing the "Tour" PTM mode and driving home in comfort and style.
I do that all the time in my Z/28, LOL what i like is the power out of the 427 that no SC can make up for, there is no replacement for displacement.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:20 AM   #61
Johnny Mac

Drives: 2015 ZL1
For me it was easy, I wanted the modern car comforts with performance.
As mentioned by others touring ride mode is nice on the freeway.
Johnny Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:44 AM   #62
2NASSTY

Drives: 2014 M6 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
I do that all the time in my Z/28, LOL what i like is the power out of the 427 that no SC can make up for, there is no replacement for displacement.
So you are saying your NA 427 has more power than a LSA? Stock and modded?? I wasn't aware of that.
06' LeMans Blue Metallic Z06, 11.726 at 127.80 MPH Motor - SOLD.
96' Impala SS LTx, 11.397 at 118.10 MPH Motor, 1st stage 10.526 at 127.46 MPH
2NASSTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:46 AM   #63
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NASSTY View Post
So you are saying your NA 427 has more power than a LSA? Stock and modded?? I wasn't aware of that.
No, he is saying the NA power doesn't suffer from SC induced heat soak.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 12:08 PM   #64
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NASSTY View Post
Funny what you can read out of my post.

Quote:
No, he is saying the NA power doesn't suffer from SC induced heat soak.
Thank you Pete.

There is nothing bad about the ZL1, but for the money this member is saying the Z/28 is at, get the Z/28, lot more of car for the price.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 12:24 PM   #65
cal45

Drives: 2015 Blue Velvet Metallic ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
Funny what you can read out of my post.

Thank you Pete.

There is nothing bad about the ZL1, but for the money this member is saying the Z/28 is at, get the Z/28, lot more of car for the price.
Agree if one wants more of a track focused car...if the buyer is looking for a more balanced every day driver car, the ZL1 comes out ahead. Heat soak is not an issue for a daily driver.

cal45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 12:54 PM   #66
flipstyledsm22
Let's go fishing!

Drives: a car with 8 cylinders
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal45 View Post
Agree if one wants more of a track focused car...if the buyer is looking for a more balanced every day driver car, the ZL1 comes out ahead. Heat soak is not an issue for a daily driver.

How about when you are participating in a fun run and after 2 runs, your SC is heat soaked... The Z/28 won't suffer this and is just as comfortable as you make it.

Some of you are making the Z/28 out to be a caged sheet metal on wheels with no creature comforts... IMHO, OP should go with what will yield the best resale value since they are only a $1,000 difference in cost. But as Justice stated...

flipstyledsm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 01:03 PM   #67
rvnmaniac

Drives: 2012 M6 ZL1. 2019 Altima.07 FJR1300
I would rather have a ZL-1 any day. But if I could get a Z-28 for just $1000 difference than its a no brainer. Z-28 it is......
Old 08-30-2016, 02:20 PM   #68
AZ Charlie

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normagene View Post
Well I can't argue that fact, I have not driven them both. But I have driven my ZL1 and then my husbands C7 vette. His vette should be faster, it is with every pro driver behind the wheel, but I was faster with my ZL1.

I'd guess that's do to the fact that I have more seat time with mine and know my limits with it. I still think an average guy will do almost the same lap times with the ZL1 & the Z/28. Only because of their limit capabilities.

Even if the Z/28 is a better track car it still all comes down the skill level of the drivers. I've seen way too many guys get beat by a pro driver in a car that has no chance of winning, but his skill level makes all the difference.
I understand where you are coming from BUT if you take the same person and have two different performing vehicles like a Z/28 and a Zl1 the driver is going to have more confidence in braking and cornering and exit spee in the Z/28. Their is just no comparison. Just the 305's and the stickier tires are a huge difference in the cars. Then add the F1 derived suspension that is made for track racing and the LS7 even though not faster in a straight than a ZL1 their is no way a normal person is not going to be faster in the Z/28....only way is if the track had a bunch of long straights so the top speed of the ZL1 could make up time on a long straight. Also realize their is a certain buyer that is going to want to buy a Z/28 or ZL1 and that driver is not going to be just some average person. That person has most likely had other very fast, performance driven cars and knows exactly what they want. So for a person that is seeking a ZL1 or a Z/28 in my eyes are more progressive and aggressive drivers. Honestly, until you or have owned or driven both cars you can not input into this conversation. The Z/28 and ZL1 are both amazing cars. But the Z/28 is just a different animal. You honestly can not compare it in regards to performance on a track to a ZL1. I drive mine on the street all the time and it has 700 whp and it is SUPER EASY to drive on the street and is comfortable for me to. It is nicer to drive on the street than my Lambo LP640 put it that way. The Murcie suspension is just as tight/hard and you never hear a Lambo owner complain about the ride because they are buying a supercar not a Mercedes sedan. So if you are buying a car that has racing bones (Z/28) in it you are going to be looking at the same feel out of the road as a Lamborghini for example not a Mercedes.
2012 Ford F450 Super Duty
Prior cars:
2015 Z/28 Redline Motorsports SC725 (see profile for build details, Redline Motorsports youtube, Super Chevy article, etc)
2010 SS Supercharged with other mods...(two of this model)
2003 Lamborghini Murcielago (two of this model)
1998 Lamborghini Diablo SV
2004 Lamborghini Gallardo
Ferrari 348 Spider
Saleen Mustang
AZ Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 02:36 PM   #69
Normagene

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Charlie View Post
I understand where you are coming from BUT if you take the same person and have two different performing vehicles like a Z/28 and a Zl1 the driver is going to have more confidence in braking and cornering and exit spee in the Z/28. Their is just no comparison. Just the 305's and the stickier tires are a huge difference in the cars. Then add the F1 derived suspension that is made for track racing and the LS7 even though not faster in a straight than a ZL1 their is no way a normal person is not going to be faster in the Z/28....only way is if the track had a bunch of long straights so the top speed of the ZL1 could make up time on a long straight. Also realize their is a certain buyer that is going to want to buy a Z/28 or ZL1 and that driver is not going to be just some average person. That person has most likely had other very fast, performance driven cars and knows exactly what they want. So for a person that is seeking a ZL1 or a Z/28 in my eyes are more progressive and aggressive drivers. Honestly, until you or have owned or driven both cars you can not input into this conversation. The Z/28 and ZL1 are both amazing cars. But the Z/28 is just a different animal. You honestly can not compare it in regards to performance on a track to a ZL1. I drive mine on the street all the time and it has 700 whp and it is SUPER EASY to drive on the street and is comfortable for me to. It is nicer to drive on the street than my Lambo LP640 put it that way. The Murcie suspension is just as tight/hard and you never hear a Lambo owner complain about the ride because they are buying a supercar not a Mercedes sedan. So if you are buying a car that has racing bones (Z/28) in it you are going to be looking at the same feel out of the road as a Lamborghini for example not a Mercedes.

Looks like I'll have to give one a try! It will be interesting to see what lap times I can do compared to my ZL1.

Nobody has ever had anything good to say about a Lamborghini as a daily driver. LOL. They are meant to driven for what they were designed to do, basing that comment from every review I've ever read. Haven't driven one of those ether.

My hubby is now look'n at the McLaren 570S, but he's waiting to checkout the new ZL1. I know, two totally different categories, but he wants to see the ZL1 numbers. He already tested the new ZO6 w/Z07 pkg, but said it was too much to handle for him.
Old 08-30-2016, 02:54 PM   #70
cal45

Drives: 2015 Blue Velvet Metallic ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipstyledsm22 View Post
How about when you are participating in a fun run and after 2 runs, your SC is heat soaked... The Z/28 won't suffer this and is just as comfortable as you make it.

Some of you are making the Z/28 out to be a caged sheet metal on wheels with no creature comforts... IMHO, OP should go with what will yield the best resale value since they are only a $1,000 difference in cost. But as Justice stated...
Mines a daily driver with mods and I have never experienced heat soak.
Nothing wrong with the Z28 - its a great track focused car but the ZL1 is a much better every day car (for me).

cal45 is offline   Reply With Quote